Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I'm back!

edited September 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Hi talkbackers
    Just wanted to tell you about my good fortune on the job front. I haven't been too well in recent times,and therefore have not been working, but am now fully recovered but very low in the confidence stakes. I recently decided that it was now or never and that I must somehow find it within myself to pluck up the courage to face the world of work again. I applied for and got a lovely part time job as a medical receptionist (not rocket science I know)and am now in the highly fortunate position of having an afternoon job and my mornings free for my writing! God, I feel so lucky and having contact with the outside world again seems to have re-ignited my desire to write. It's so nice to feel 'normal' again and I feel so fortunate to have the time to write too. Just thought I'd share that with you all... I value the tremendous advice and support on this site, and would have been so lost without it over the past few difficult years.
    Best, Lizzie x
  • Glad to know things are looking up for you.
  • Good luck with the new job, Lizzie!
  • Good for you Lizzie. I hope that this is the start of a long run of good luck.
  • Keep at it Lizzie,

Now don't you go doing too much too quickly.
    Enjoy the new career and your writing, keep Talkbackers in the picture.
  • Good for you Lizzie! You were in the right place at the right time.
  • Hello Lizzie.  Glad to see you have joined us again.  I went through a very unsettled patch earlier this year, but once I was through the worst I became much more focused about my writing.  In fact, if I hadn't been writing I think I could have become quite depressed about my situation.  Well done on the new job.  I'm sure you will rebuild your confidence now you are back in touch with the world. Good luck with the writing too, you seem to have come to an ideal arrangement with your hours.
  • That's so great, Lizzie.  Good luck with your job and your writing.
  • Hey, good for you :)
  • Hi all

Thanks for your kind messages, I really appreciate them. All I need to do now is learn to do my grocery shopping online so that my mornings can be for writing only!
    Lizzie x
  • Glad to hear things are improving for you.
  • hi lizzie - did you say its nice to feel NORMAL again?!! oh well, being back on here with us lot will soon cure you of that.  Nice to share your good news, well done and good luck with your new job. To help you get your writing time, scribble out a weekly plan for what you want to get done and stick to it - its so easy to drift otherwise (...my raft has often been spotted out at sea, miles from anywhere...!!)  I find it good to allocate a 'chores' hour and once thats up, then the writing is top priority. 
  • Hi Doodley

Thanks for your good wishes... Your comments on having a plan are so well timed, I have spent the whole of the past week running seemingly important errands and have completely neglected my writing. I see now that it would be so easy to just waste this wonderfully valuable time that I have. So, I am going to do exactly what you have suggested, make a plan, stick to it, unplug the phone (it's not uncommon for me to have 5 or 6 calls each morning from friends and family) and sit down and WRITE! I so want to make good use of this time and can see it all being wasted if I carry on as I am. I'm going to put my foot down and tell everyone to leave me alone between the hours of 8 and 11.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Lizzie
  • Well done Lizzie - you've picked youself up, a great achievement.  Now make use of all those odd bods who pop (sorry we don't like the word pop) into your establishment - good source of characters and story ideas.