Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Twists in the tail

edited August 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• I've just read Joanne Harris's Gentlemen and Players. Without giving the ending away - what a flipping swizz. It was so obvious what was happening. The fact that she didn't make a certain issue clear at the start, instantly gave it away for me. I like twists but what do you all think? What books have the best twists at the end?
  • Robert Goddard's books have several twists, not just at the end. It's usually very difficult to work out who did what!
  • Flick, I loved Gentlemen and Players, I genuinely didn't see it coming.  Each to their own, though.
  • Sorry Luckypen, have I just spoilt The Joanne Harris book! I DID think it was a story worth reading despite my guess. I had fun trying to spot the teachers and pupils from her old school. I didn't recognise my son in there fortunately.
  • That is so true. You LOOK for it then and are much more likely to spot it.
  • One of the most surprising twists for me was in Iain M.Banks "Use of Weapons". It's a science-fiction novel which is not my favourite genre, but has some great characters and plot turns in it.
  • On the film forum which I frequent (yes, yes, I am a forum slut) we post SPOILER ALERT ahead of any plot revelations; ideally one leaves a few lines below that warning to give the speedy reader time to throw on the visual brakes.
  • 'Laura's Way' by Beryl Kingston had the most memorable twist ending that I have read.