Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Domesday Book

edited August 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• For anyone interested in this country's history - in case you didn't hear this morning's news - the Domesday Book is now online at: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/domesday

It's free to search and read online, but I think you have to pay to download information.
  • I went to Bayeux with a friend from school when we were 16 (her parents were there, as well), and we saw the Domesday Book, closed up in a locked glass case, as well as the Bayeux Tapestry.  It was wonderful to see the things you learnt about at school right in front of your eyes.
  • I'll have a look at that, thanks!
  • There was an exhibition in London about twenty years ago, which I managed to get into free, as a civil servant, with a group after hours.  It was quite an impressive display, and for the public they also had a chap making parchment as you watched.
    Sadly, the village where I live now is not in Domesday, being in Wales, but the village which has become a suburb of Hay is just over the border into Herefordshire, and it's there.
  • I wrote a short story called 'Making Hay'. I had to phone the Tourist Information Office to check which country it was in.
  • We are just inside the Brecon Beacons National Park, and the England/Wales border is the Dulas Brook, which flows into the Wye with Hay on one side and Cusop and Clifford on the other.
  • Sounds like a beautiful place to live, Evaine.
  • All that and 30 bookshops too!
  • Is Thorp(e)'s there? It used to be in Guildford.
  • No bookshop called Thorp's here, I'm afraid.

We did have a shop called the Kestrel Gallery.  They'd come up from London to show the provincials how things should be done.  They didn't last a year.
    I knew they were going to fail when they threw my dog out, when she ran in to say hello.
  • Our dog has a book.
  • jay I'm sure i have read that story 'making hay' where was it published???
  • Hi, Kelly. It was one of the stories in the collection A Different Kind of Love published by BeWrite Books.
  • amboline, I'm afraid you'd better not come to Hay.
    Several of the shops have a resident dog - my dog is one of them.  Occasionally I do send her outside when customers appear nervous, or mention that they dislike dogs (once it was a family of Orthodox Jews, who objected to her on religious grounds).
    When I take my dog to other shops, I always leave her outside unless she is invited in.  This is only common courtesy.
    (In the Kestrel Gallery incident, I was standing outside talking to a friend who was waiting for the owner to finish talking on the phone, and I didn't notice my dog sneaking in until she was chased out again - very embarrassing).
  • Thankyou Jay I am sorry to say that it was not the story I was thinking about but I will hunt yours out and read it.
  • Oh, I didn't mean to give the impression that I boycotted the shop because they threw Islay out - I just knew that the shop would fail because of the attitude of the owners in an extremely dog friendly town.  I was right, too - the unfriendly attitude carried over to their customers, who seemed rather less important to them than phone calls to London.
  • Hi, Kelly. I thought it might not be! Thanks for saying you'll look for it, though.
  • I'll help. Has anyone seen the Magna Carta in Lincoln? When you come up to York Amboline you'll be relatively near Lincoln which is a lovely little town.
    We are only 45 minutes from York in good traffic. I always use the park and ride which is brilliant.
    Psst has it worked do you think? Don't mention anything with fur and four legs.
  • Evaine - At the risk of Flick saying I don't have enough to do (when I've just spent a couple of hours typing out the minutes I took at a meeting yesterday!) - I looked on the internet and found the following. It may explain the attitude of the Orthodox Jews mentioned in your post:

"Ask Rabbi Simmons 

Dogs and Orthodox Jews

Question

As a child growing up in Tel Aviv, I don't believe I ever saw an Orthodox Jew (the ones with streimels, peiyes, and a Prince Albert coat) walking a dog. Is there some sort of religious reason for an aversion to dogs?

Answer

The Talmud does say that it is forbidden to keep a pet that will scare other people, and specifically mentions a barking dog. This is but one example of the Torah's sensitivity to other's feelings."

Nevertheless a barking dog could come in very handy sometimes!!