Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

I have my first rejection letter!

edited March 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Some of you are asking, "Why would she be proud of this?".

The answer is, that I am over protective. I have finally allowed my little creation to leave the arms of caring friends. It has seen the real world of the editor's desk.

Now comes the time of reviewing. Seeing the story with a new view, and after "fixing it up" it will be sent somewhere else.

For those of you who haven't taken this step, it's not that bad. I encourage you to give it a try.
  • Well done Susan, you've taken the first step into the big wide world. The only way now is onward.
  • Susan - I understand perfectly. And well done! In my case, however, I was/am very protective and shy of my novel as far as family/friends are concerned. I don't know if you've read any of my messages, but basically the plot covers sexuality, violence etc. Not what your mother would like to read! I have learned not to concern myself over what one's mother/other half think, but to concentrate on writing from your heart and keep going. As to sending one's work out - now that never bothered me! In fact it was fine because I didn't know them and they don't know me and probably never will. Also, it's highly likely that they've received ms far more sexy and violent than I'll ever write! And yes - I've had a variety of rejection notes over time, including one that I discovered that I had printed on the back of that stated: 'This sounds a sensational plot. I am certain that one day you will find a publisher.' Now that made my day!

Jo
  • Well Susan,
    Best you clear a space for all those other rejection notes. I bet your head is high, it is a nice feeling to gain reaction from the market-place.

Good for you, taking that first step was very brave. Do not loose the impetus you have started.
  • Yes, well done Susan.  You're on your way to publication, and with such a great attitude.  Good for you!
  • A rejection slip - concrete proof that you are a real writer.  Congratulations - you had the guts to write it, send it out, and welcome it back again for further work.
  • Susan,

Please try to remember this; 'Every rejection, is a step closer to acceptance!'

I have dozens, and I keep a file... sad hey?

GOOD LUCK!

;-)
  • I am awed by the professional and caring community created by the members of Talkback. It is only because of you, that I am able to have such a positive outlook.

Thank you for your encouraging and supportive comments.
  • Susan, once your "little creation" has been re-moulded and sent off on another journey, maybe the new destination will be more to its liking.
  • Good news.  It shows you are a real, working writer rather than a gonna-'gonna write one day when I have the time.'
  • You'll get there Susan. Goodluck!
  • Purchase a large notice board or some blue tack, this is a badge of courage and a true writer. Passed the initiation test with flying colours. Keep plugging on, we will all get there in the end
  • wow! what an inspiring thread. All about rejection letters. It must be said that it is a big step to send something.
    This could be turned in to a good short course entitled 'accepting that first rejection'
    It could be so good you would almost feel left out if you did not get a rejection letter.
    Oh I think I see a story emerging!
  • Well done Susan, don't give up!
  • well done Susan. Rejecton slips are a rite of passage towards publication. Keep going - and good luck
  • Congratulations!  You're one step closer to success. Keep going...
  • What did the letter actually say?

The only letters I have seen look hideously automated.
  • So, you're a true writer now with something to show for your work.  Good luck with the rewrite and don't give up.
  • every rejection is closer to the next acceptance :O)

Gary.
  • True, so true, Gary.
  • Hello Susan, are you still out there?  I don't recall seeing your name lately. How's the writing going?
  • Oh my, it's been so long since I was here. Yes, I got dragged off by my writing spirit and got back to work. Now, I am a published poet in 2 anthologies and several e-zines. I am working on a rewrite for one of my novels - haven't sent it out yet. Between working full time and family, I want to finish it before I send it out. My time to work on it is so sporadic that I don't want the pressure of a publisher or agent.

What dear people you are to have kept this going for so long! I hope that someone else sees it and is so inspired.
  • Good to hear you have done so well, congratulations.
  • Congratulations Susan.
  • Well done Susan.. and nice to meet you.
  • Carol, Wilts, and LizB - thank you. I just hope some beginning poet or writer reads this thread and decides to give it a go.
  • Susan, good to have your news! You will encourage so many with that. Stay with us, yes?
  • Excellent news.

Rejection can be so hard on the soul and having something accepted is a much needed drink in the desert of publishing.

I have a folder full of rejection letters, some are kind, some are badly photocopied bog standard letters, I even have a rejection letter for someone else. The publisher - bless 'em - got an ickle bit confused and put the wrong rejection letter in the wrong SAE and I ended up with a rejection for someone else. It worked out okay though as that writer contacted me and told me he had received mine.

An interesting insight into how publishing really works ;)
  • edited March 2009
    Hi dorothyd! Thank you. I'm just glad no one canceled my membership! You might say, I never really left, just went on holiday.

Randomguy - hi! That was really odd. Did you ever send anything else to them? Thanks for sharing!
  • edited March 2009
    Good news, Susan, and welcome back. I had a lovely rejection letter yesterday from My Weekly, including 'At the moment we're not accepting unsolicited work for Travel features, but this is well written and we'll keep your details on file so that if a suitable opportunity arises to issue you with a commission, we'll be in touch." Much better than just: 'No, thanks."
  • Well you never know Verica. And you still have the article to try elsewhere.
  • Hi Verica - a 'lovely' rejection letter indeed! Looks like you have a foot in the door and you can, as Carol said, send your article elsewhere.
  • I've counted mine rejections. I've 154!

Not all the same novel, I hasten to add.

:D