Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Adventure fiction

edited May 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Can anybody recomend me some good adventure fiction, please?

I like a good serious literature book as much as anyone, but sometimes I just want a break with a fast paced all-action high adventure story (Indiana Jones in a book is the kind of level I'm looking for).

I know a lot of sci-fi, fantasy and historical fiction have an adventure theme (Bernard Cornwell is my particular favourite), but I don't know which authors to look for to get 'contemporary' adventure.

Any recomendations?
  • Have you heard of Arturo Perez Reverte? He's a Spanish writer. He writes adventure, with a bit of a literary feel to it. He's written 'The Nautical Chart', 'The Seville Communion', 'The Dumas Club', 'The Fencing Master' and 'The Flanders Panel' I hope this helps.
  • Thanks Kangaroo
    I must admit I've never heard of that author, but I'll make a note of it and keep an eye out now.

I'm currently reading 'The Eagle's Conquest' by Simon Scarrow, which is definately filling all my criteria for a good adventure read. Very much in the style of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe books, but with Roman legionaries during the invasion of Britain.
  • If you're up for some contamporary fantasy (A wizard in modern-day Chicago) then I can't recommend Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files" series enough! :)
  • Thanks for that rec, sounds fun.

Has anyone else read anything by Paul Sussman - he writes mystery/thriller/adventure with an Egyptian archaeology theme. I read the article about him in the last Writing Magazine, but haven't read his stuff and don't know anyone else who has either.
  • Jill: I have read both of Paul Sussman's books;
    The Lost Army of Cambyses and The Last Secret of the Temple. I couldn not put either down. For further information go to: http://www.thesusijnagency.com/authors/sussman.htm and it will give you an idea.
  • Ok, thanks.

I might give Sussman a go then. Both his books are on three-for-two at Waterstones at the moment.
  • But, Jill... There's only two...

LOL
  • Jill and I were at the Lowdham Book Festival yesterday, both performing. She was telling me that there was another book, by a different author she was interested in, so that would make up the three Troo. So she hasn't gone mad!
  • You take all the fun out of life, Carol ;)
  • Hi, Jill,

For fast-paced action adventure I thoroughly recommend James Rollins' "Subterranean" and "Excavation" and, no doubt, his later novels which I have yet to read.  "Excavation" in particular is very much like Indiana Jones.  Read it and you'll see why!
  • Thanks everybody.

All recommendations have been duly noted and I'll be taking the list to the library next week.

One thing I noticed as I was writing the list down - all the writers are male. Does this make me an oddity in being a female who writes adventure? Not that I have any problem with that, it just struck me as interesting.

Do you think maybe adventure is still seen as 'boys own' territory, with a mainly male readership? The exception, of course, is children's adventure, for which we have the likes of Enid Blyton, J.K. Rowling, and a myriad of other female writers. Any suggestions why this should be?

(P.S. this isn't a feminist soapbox or anything, I really don't mind about it, but I noticed the trend and just wondered if anyone had any thoughts).