Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What inspires you?

edited May 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I think there might already be a thread on this topic but I can't find it.

I just wondered what inspires writers to write!

What usually sets me off is overheard conversations or the odd things people do. ("I'm a writer" is a great excuse for being an eavesdropper and watching people!!

Something different was a roadsign which said "Hurtmore, Charterhouse, Norney and Shackleford".

For ages I intended to do something with that combination of names, until eventually I wrote a sketch where they were a firm of solicitors!
  • Yes they do sound like solicitors. I think you were referring to the 'where do you get your ideas from' thread. Or maybe not.
  • Listening to other writers read their writing, sometimes I can be on the train and I'll think of something, so far it's been haiku that has sprung to mind. And reading other people's work as well.
  • Maybe this will be the spring-board for someone... (overheard at the next table whilst having a pub lunch a few days ago)  "We arrived home last night to find a strange man in our bed.  Haven't a clue who he was or where he came from.  I didn't sleep a wink all night."
    (I would have liked to listen to more, but someone on our table started up a conversation with me and I didn't like to tell them to shut up.)
  • Another sketch was set off by a remark made in a very ladylike voice from a nearby restaurant table:

"He lives with another man but he likes to do his own hoovering."

Writers are loitering everywhere - we probably all provide inspiration at some point!
  • I overheard this piece and used it in a story:

Christmas eve,man standing loaded with numerous parcels, a look of desperation on his face.  His wife is looking at a china and glass display and says, 'John you're mother will recognise Caithness Glass to be something special?'  I laughed out loud.  I don't think the poor bloke could have cared less.
  • Rosie - He'd probably have settled for anything by that time!
  • I like to people watch :O) somehow sitting in coffee shops that are within bookshops brings out the best in my writing.

Gary.
  • When my WEA class was still going, I wrote a whole sketch based on things people had said to me, including the beautifully-phrased comment by a neighbour about her ex-husband:

"He was so tight that when he walked his bum squeaked."

(Hope we're allowed to say "bum" on here!)
  • I find our local Morrisons very productive, especially on a Sunday morning when there are lots of families shopping.  Most times I come home with snippets of conversation or little observations to save for future reference.
  • Oh my gosh DorothyD, I know Ryde very well, I live a short journey away from you in Sandown, well Lake technically.

I find two things inspire me, conversations I overhear and the countryside and beach in general.

I'm a very nosey person and can't help but listen in on conversations I hear other people having, working in a shop like I do is great because I can evesdrop on so many people.
    My favourite places are ontop of the cliffs at Hope Bay and the feilds behind my house, they always make me think of fairys and magic. It's a wonderful place to live.
  • Jenny, that was definately funny. It immediately conjured up the image of the individual.
    We all watch and listen, and sometimes we do it without being aware we are doing it.
    I was on the bus one afternoon, last year, and listened to two women discussing a woman who they worked with. One of them referred to her as ' Miss-I am- (surname I can't remember), so I jotted it down. A few months later when I was doing a short story I used this description for one of the characters who was a bit stuck up, snobby and full of her own importance.
  • Really strange things, actually ... a word, an image, a burst of music ...

I have a vivid memory from my university days, which still cracks me up.  I was walking across a large field, on my way to my hall of residence.  Now, in this field, there was this herd of cows, which used to appear and disappear mysteriously on a weekly basis.  As I headed up the path, I saw that the cows had stood up and were walking briskly away.  Suddenly, I saw a football appear between their legs.  Honest to God, for one freaky moment, I thought the cows were playing footie!  Some seconds later, as the herd walked swiftly past, I saw that it was a just a bunch of guys playing behind them.  By the time I reached my room, I had spun this whole tale about a herd of cows, who secretly observe local footie matches and practice their game in the fields at night, hoping to one day make it to the FA Cup finals...

And the other day, I looked after this huge newborn baby boy, in the special care baby unit.  He was very cute and because of his size, he kept sliding towards the bottom of the incubator, where his podgy feet would occasionally kick the rear opening. 
    I suddenly had this notion of this big baby boy, who was trying to kick his way out to freedom. 
    I could hear him chuckling evilly 'Ahaha, today the Midlands, tomorrow the World!' ...
    Scary thing is, I almost found myself whispering to him 'Er, I'm sorry to have to tell you this, chuck, but I think you may have to shelve this world domination scheme of yours for the time being.  You see, crawling is quite some time away and walking, well, what can I say?  Walking is MONTHS away ... and then there's running ... and don't get me started on stairs ... well, you sort of get the idea, don't you?'
    My only excuse for that one was that I had just finished a 24-25 hour shift ....
  • MDD - Cows playing football. World-dominating babies. It all makes perfect sense to me! You don't have to slant the world very much to make it surreal.
  • oh Mad Doc, I can imagine that so easily, you don't have to be crazy due to long hours. One of my three was always working his way to the bottom of the incubator, no matter how many times we put him back.We always said he was practicing to be an escape artist!
  • They do look very cute when they do that, don't they? ... Not so funny, however, is when they pee at the bottom of the incubator after the dozy doc (not me, one of my colleagues!) forgets to close their nappies ... ooohhh, Sister was soooo mad ...
  • Oh this brings back so many memories of my midwifery days...