Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Research

edited April 2006 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I'm doing the writer's bureau course at the moment. It's something I started last year and i'm having real trouble with it. It's not the assignments really, but the research. I just have this feeling that if i'm not an expert on a topic - and let's face it, i'm not an expert on much - i don't have the authority to write a piece about it. I think it's something left over from uni when it took a whole term to write an essay and you read every available text on your subject.
    Any suggestions people? I know I'm capable of the actual writing, but this is really holding me back.
  • Could you do the writing first, and then the research later? It's amazing how helpful people will be if you tell them you're doing a course, and wondered if they could provide some information.
  • How can you write about something without doing any research first?  Surely you at least have to know the basics?  For instance, if you're writing about boats, it helps to know what the parts of a boat are called.
  • I agree with both Evaine and Jay. You do need some basic background. If you were writing something set in the 19th Century, as an example, it would help to have a general wide view of the subject, then look at particular relevant areas with  more depth.
    You will already have a basic idea of how your story will start, and some of the basic research may have given you further ideas.
    If you find something lacking, as you are writing, make a note on what you need to find out or clarify, I insert a question mark in brackets with the question I need answering.
    Don't let it worry you. You'll find what works for you. Have confidence. Good luck.
  • I suppose, as my books are principally about relationships, I can get away with doing any research - e.g. on ballroom dancing - afterwards.
  • I am a big fan of using mind maps when planning an essayand this could also be used for writing anything. I find it really helps you plan your writing research. For more info, google Tony Buzan and mind maps
  • Thanks for your help guys. The more I think about it the more I realise that it is solely a confidence issue because whenever I do writing for my job I'm quite happy with it all. Likewise I'm just about to start my second degree and can't really envisage a problem like this when writing my dissertation.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Try writing down the title of your subject.  Then ask five yourself questions What? Who? Where? When? Why?  Then, write as much as you know for each one.  You will have a short article in a short time.  If it is too short, try some research with books, online, library etc.  Then, ask the same questions and write them down.  Easy peasy.  Good luck.
  • I had the opposite problem. I went from creative writing to doing essays for uni, and I found that in essays I wasn't looking hard enough. What I settled on was a cross between an academic essay and something with the flair and appeal of a story. This approach brought the best marks and comments.

Even when you back yourself into a hole in your story, life experience is usually enough to dig your way out again. If your not writing a book on an expert subject, then the readers will not be experts, so a lack of research will not necessarily show.

Basically, research does help, but it isn't the be all and end all - You could always blagg it?

Milhouse.
  • I'm glad to see that I'm not the only loony to use mind maps salwrite.... Tony Buzan is a god!!! ok he has a tendacy to repeat a lot and fill books with questions, and has made a huge amount of money from common sense, but it is such a powerfull concept...

Milhouse.