Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Repetition

edited April 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Recently I took out a talking book from the library to listen to in the kitchen and four times during the story the author had used the sentence:

"There was a tap on the door".

Does that reflect a lack of imagination or peculiar plumbing arrangements?
  • I think there's a lesson to be learnt for every writer here, that is, repetition may not be noticed, and the writing must be edited and re-edited to make sure it doesn't happen.  The fact it did in this case is indicative of something wrong.
  • Repitition in children's books reinforces information. 

For adults, it can be effective if done a couple of times to make a point; after that, from a reader's point of view, it is simply annoying and should be avoided unless there is good reason.
  • It would be interesting to see if the book it was based on did the same thing, or if it was a case of editing for time purposes. Some talking books can be abridged.
  • Years ago in an early version of a chicklit novel, an author referred early on to her "tripewriter". It was mildly amusing the first time but she repeated it over and over again and I gave up reading the book.

Likewise I had to stop reading the Lovejoy novels because he was forever "eeling" around or "making smiles".

While I'm on this particular soapbox (!), the Slummy Mummy columnist in last Saturday's Times colour supplement keeps referring to her "Husband on a Short Fuse" (five times in one and a half columns!).

You'd think someone would stop them, wouldn't you?!!
  • Like Carol, I was wondering if the book had been abridged.
  • I don't think it could have been - it was a crime novel and abridging it would have caused problems with the plot.

I didn't like the way it finished either - a great wodge of narrative explanation as to who did what, when and why. Almost as though the author had got fed up with writing dialogue!

Apologies for all the complaints about published writers - since I started going to writing classes I've got a lot more picky!
  • Just remembered another mistake in that book.

A character says that if someone had sent emails (rather than letters) they would have been 'gone forever'. The author can't be a computer user if she doesn't know the sender always has a copy!

See what I mean about being picky!!
  • The most obvious use of copy/cut/paste I've seen is one "love" (read: steamy) scene used about ten times in every book by Jean M. Auel after "Clan of the Cave Bear", with occasional variations in wording. Is it just me, or does it actually get boring after a while?
  • Obviously nodding-dog syndrome.
  • It's probably more civilised than wagging somebody's else's!
  • "A character says that if someone had sent emails (rather than letters) they would have been 'gone forever'. The author can't be a computer user if she doesn't know the sender always has a copy!"

Not if you use hotmail ;o)
  • I don't use Hotmail but our daughters do. I've been advised by one of them that you can select to get a copy, but it doesn't happen automatically!

Does it seem strange to you that we're discussing whether a fictional character (deceased by the time of the story) who didn't send emails anyway would have had a copy of anything he'd sent if he had?!!!

And that's not the clearest sentence I've ever written!
  • Time for bed Jenny,

Your logic is clear enough, yes Talkbackers think in many directions.
  • Amboline - What does it mean?!!
  • That was an ambiguous question! I meant what does 'the eldritch gambrel roofs' mean, not your name!
  • Just a trifle over the top, was he?!!!
  • [quote=Jenny]Recently I took out a talking book from the library to listen to in the kitchen and four times during the story the author had used the sentence:

"There was a tap on the door".

Does that reflect a lack of imagination or peculiar plumbing arrangements? [/quote]

Tap Tap Tap
  • I have a tendency to have my characters having a drink, making a coffee, sipping some wine - must make a big effort to elimatinate some of these in the third draft.

Once read a book where the female character was a virgin and 'cherry picking' must have appeared in every chapter - I could have pulled my hair out by the end of it.
  • Jenny I am pleased to see Lovejoy was "making smiles" and not "making smells."

:)

As that's what my mum used to say when an unknown odour was noticed.

"Are you making smells?"

:)
  • Or ringing bells?