Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Reader's Digest

edited April 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• A lot of writers snort at the very mention of the Reader's Digest, but pay is generous and RD is happy to accept contributions by email. Recently a couple of comments on different articles and a humorous 'filler' have netted me £150. It's worth a try.
  • Well done Montholon.  RD used to have a website with guidelines for submissions - haven't checked lately if it's still there.  Worth a look.
  • Well done, I have tried for years to have anything accepted by RD! I heard it is a hard market to crack, as apparently they are inundated with submissions.
  • I have tried RD in the past but wasn't successful, so well done montholon.
  • I looked into RD too last year, but it seemed at the time that they rarely accepted things by freelancers, and only wanted fillers for which they paid generously. They were also a company who were buying the rights on the work they used.
  • Well done Montholon!
  • Yes, well done, and thanks for sharing the tip with us all.
  • Well done Montholon.  Keep up the good work.
  • Oooh further to my comments earlier on this thread - this morning there was a letter on the mat from Readers Digest! "Huh" I thought, another of their offers, but when I opened it there was a cheque for a filler!!!! So after years of trying, I have finally had something accepted by them!!!
  • Well done, Montholon and Lucy.
  • Has anyone ever won anything with the Reader's Digest prize draw numbers? I just had a letter come about the draw.
  • edited September 2010
    I had a letter too Kateyanne telling me they were going to send prize draw documents. And no, I've never won anything. Are you strong enough to resist sending the numbers back - I'm not, I usually wade through all the infuriating stuff so I can send the numbers back in NO envelope. It's so infuriating as I reckon you have to follow the instructions and get it just right so that you qualify to be entered - you have to stick this sticker on that square and another sticker on another square - rip off the whatsit dance a jig - use the correct envelope the right way up etc etc - drives me crazy
  • Mine went unopened in the bin. Many years ago I ticked the 'yes' box and bought an atlas, hoping it would increase my chances of winning coz I'm sure the 'No's' get chucked. I was also wooed by the promise of a free gift and a 'mystery' prize. Turned out to be a very thin leather bookmark and a small brass bell. I returned the atlas and cancelled my subs. They said I could keep the 'gifts'. Needless to say I didn't win the squillions, that went to a Mrs K in Sussex. (I think she was probably the chairman's wife!)
  • Interesting I have often received these letters over the years and have been tempted to send the numbers back but never have yet.
  • I've sent them back once, but never heard I'd won.

Someone has to win, don't they?
  • Nor me. My mother-in-law did it for years and years and never won anything either.
  • Baggy Books said: 'Someone has to win, don't they? '

Yeah, Mrs K, in Sussex.
  • Perhaps it will be Mrs E in Sussex next! ( I live in sussex)
  • It's a real hassle, KA, but someone has to win! I went through the whole rigmarole a couple of times in the past 20 years and never not a penny out of it. No harm in playing though!
  • not even a little brass bell?
  • I used to keep the stickers - that was gift enough for me. YES! NO!
  • Perhaps if I'd pulled the other one I'd have found a little brass bell
  • Guess what turned up in the post today...yes the Readers Digest prize draw documents. :rolleyes:
  • Did it say about winner Mrs K of Sussex?