Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Almost There

edited September 2005 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• A few weeks ago, I sent one of my poems to a competition, didn't expect to hear anything for a while. Today I get a letter from the organisers to say that it's going up to the next round of judging. If all goes well, I'll have my first poem published!
  • Thanks Lixxy, I will! Fingers crossed!
  • Yahoo! That's really good news and even if you get no further, it's a sure sign that your writing is top quality and people want it. take it as proof that you are a fantastic writer. I'm sure you'll do really well, good luck.
  • Great news Kangaroo.  Well done.  Keep us posted.
  • Nice one my friend. Good luck and let us hope it happens and it is the first of many
  •   Bad news. They were vanity publishers. At least I didn't lose anything from it. One thing I did gain though, the germ of an idea for a poem, so all is not lost. Back to the keyboard.....Talk to you soon.
  • Rip offs actually, Lixxy.This website might give you a bit more insight

http://www.vanitypublishing.info/definition.htm
  • From what I've been led to believe, vanity publishers basically charge you a shed-load to get your book printed, and then it's your job to try and sell it! Most writing publications and courses give pretty much the same advice - AVOID!
  • When I first saw it, it had a post office box listed. I thought, surely they're not all into vanity publishing. Turns out my intincts were right. 
    I'll know better next time.
  • There has been much said about vanity publishing in previous threads. Many a Talkbacker seems to have experience/knowledge. Typing "vanity publishing" into the search box gives you get access to all such observations.
  • Ah well, live and learn. All the best for the future Kangaroo. I'm sure you'll enjoy better luck soon!
  • Thanks Nicola, and everyone else. The writer's group that I belong to has said that as well. Keeping at it....
  • Good for you Kangaroo.  Hopefully that excitement you felt will spur you on in your efforts.  Good luck, I'm rooting for you,
    Jacey.
  • Kangeroo, have you writen any more poems or won poetry comps?