Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Travel writing perks

edited April 2007 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• I went on an Adventure Cruise with a local operator a few months ago.  Wrote a piece and had it published.  On Friday I popped into the Tui Tai office to give them a copy.  The owner/operator - a lovely lady - said 'are you doing anything next week?'  'not really, why?' 'Would you like to join the cruise on Monday?  It would be complimentary.'  Would I like to go on a complimentary cruise?  Is the Pope Catholic?
    See you in a week or two.
  • Have fun.
  • If you haven't already shot off, claudia, have a great time and well done!

I had to laugh.  I entered a competition with BBC Travel magazine or some such as it then was and wrote a piece about Singapore.  I was really fed up to be 2nd in the competition, despite fantastic comments about my piece.

I won my choice of the Rough Guides series and chose Europe.  It's been quite handy.  But, then, so would the first prize have been.  A writing contract with Rough Guides and all the respective associated free travel for a year.

The shame of it.
  • Well done, Claudia! TT, what a shame!
  • Hello - fresh back from my adventures - looking very tanned, but sadly unhealthy with a chesty cold (exacerbated by the fact that I didn't stop diving and snorkelling when I shoulda'). 
    Lots of threads to read and looks like we've got more new members - hello and welcome all. 
    It's amazing how much happens around here in so short a time.  It's going to take me a day or two, curled up with my Lemsip, to catch up!
    Thanks for the good wishes.
  • Hi Claudia

Welcome back, hope you feel better soon.
    Where was the cruise to?

The last expenses paid travel piece I worked on was photo journalism for a UK travel company in Crete. Seemed like a wonderful freebie at the time until I arrived. I will not bog you down with the details but it rained five days out of seven which made the photographs a challenge.
    I took a ferry trip from Ag-Nik to Spinalonga and we got caught in a freak storm and started to sink. We managed to make it (just)to Spinalonga which is a former lepor colony. I am sure it would be fascinating on a sunny Cretan day. Yet after being stuck there for nine hours until it was safe to make the short crossing courtesy of the harbour police to Elounda , Spinalonga kind of lost it's interest. All photographs looked like a rain lashed day in the Shetlands.I made a fair amount of notes to work on a novel based around Spinalonga.As you will know this was a waste of time as "The Island" made it to number one in the best sellers (based on Spinalonga) ,before I had even a chance to start work on my version of life there. I managed to write up a few usable pieces but nothing I could tie in with the pics. Seemed to be a source of great hilarity to my family.
  • Welcome back and recover soon.
  • good memories to write about, commiserations on the cold, glad you are back!
  • Aegean - this wasn't an expenses paid travel trip in that sense - it was a thank you for an article I'd written and had published.
    The Tui Tai schooner cruises around our gorgeous Fijian islands - some very remote.  Check out their website: www.tuitai.com
    It's an amazing experience.
  • Sounds a wonderful experience Claudia , the website sells it for me.
    They must have been really happy with your piece. Nice gesture.

By the way cats claw (herbal tablets) are a fantastic immune system booster and would help you throw off the cold and bugs much quicker.

Well done, good to read about writers being treated decently.