Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Australians voting on words

edited January 2008 in - Writing Tales
I wonder if Kangeroo and Island Girl have a view.

"Are you suffering from password fatigue? Ever considered manscaping? Do you know any tanorexics?
These phrases and more are contenders in an online vote organised by Australia's Macquarie Dictionary to select the Word of the Year 2007"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7180618.stm

http://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/anonymous@A384755840/-/p/dict/WOTY07/index.html?

There are some great words in the categories, you really should look at the Australian dictionary site.

Comments

• Hmm, apparently, I could very well be a credit card tart ... I deny all accusations made against me. I never saw any tart. I don't like tarts ... except maybe for apple tarts ... hmmm, applleeee taaarrts ...(dribble, dribble)
  • edited January 2008
    From Media: lamestream
    Colloquial –noun 1. the traditional media providing news and entertainment, viewed as lacking the originality and daring of the blogosphere.
    –adjective 2. of or relating to such traditional media. [lame + (main)stream]

COLLOQUIALISMS
    floordrobe
    noun Colloquial (humorous) a floor littered with discarded clothes, viewed ironically as a clothing storage system. [floor + (war)drobe]

cyber cheating
    noun 1. plagiarism of material sourced on the internet.
    2. engagement in an online romance, the conduct of which constitutes unfaithfulness to one's spouse or lover.

FASHION
    manscaping
    noun a grooming procedure in which hair is shaved or trimmed from a man's body, as from the back, legs, chest, genitals, etc. [man + (land)scap(e) + -ing]

There are many more!

Friday

Apparently Manscaping (see Fashion above) has been chosen as the word of 2007, according to the BBC.
  • It's a little bit scary but I thought many of those words were already common terms. Equine influenza, for example, has had major coverage here of late. You can't transport horses across the state border and it almost wiped out the November Melbourne Cup.
  • I've heard of some of them, manscaping is a new one though!
  • Apparently the voting goes on until the 31 st January, so the last BBC report obviously got ahead of itself for a moment.

I had a look at the words in the catogories, and some were being used now, others I'd not come across before- so must have been usual to Australia. Floordrobe for example.
  • edited January 2008
    I like floordrobe, I might introduce it in conversation in our house to see if anyone spots it.

Manscape on the other hand ought to have a meaning of a view of lots of men, like landscape but without the land.
  • Floordrobe is my favourite too. My lodger has one in his room!
  • My kids do too.