Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Competition success!

edited March 2006 in - Writing Tales

Comments

• Feeling triumphant this morning. One of my poems just won first prize in the Envoi poetry competition that closed in February!

So, not only do I get my poem in a prestigious poetic journal, I also get some money :)

And CV points, of course. Wahey!
  • Three cheers! Great news!
  • Brilliant news Amboline.  Congratulations.
  • Well done Amboline!
    great news, put it on your author bio.
  • Congratulations amboline, publication AND money.
  • The previous post says it all! Congratulations!
  • Congratulations!  Enjoy your success.
  • Well done Amboline, that's great news.
  • great news for this evening! Congrats!
  • Congratulations, Amboline, well done.
  • Whoo,hoo Amboline! Well done!
  • And I've just followed that with a "Highly Commended" in another competition ;-)

The trouble is, that now most of my best material has won stuff I'm going to need to write some more...
  • Congratulations Amboline!
  • Well done!
  • I seem to have done it again. Another poetry competition. Another first prize!

Only a small one (on both counts) this time. But judged by someone fairly well-known. It all counts as a massive ego boost, anyway. Suggests I must be doing something right :)
  • fantastic Well done!
  • Apologies for bringing this thread back from the vaults - but I heard yesterday that I've notched up my third poetry competition success this year. Second prize in the Hastings poetry competition ;-) Couldn't have come at a better time, really, a modest cash boost to help towards the expense of relocation...

I also had my first ever "review" last week. Well, it wasn't more than a passing couple of words really - somebody from the Milton Keynes Citizen was reviewing the last issue of Monkey Kettle magazine and picked out two or three poems for special mention as "We particularly liked...", one of which was mine :)
  • Congratulations on your double success.
  • Great news, Amboline. Congratulations! A nice boost after all of your house moving traumas!
  • Well done Amboline. Congrats from me.
  • Well done that Writer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woo hooo.
    Clever you. Congrats.
  • Well done for the competition success and the review! Is it worth writing to the reviewer and saying "thanks"? Might get you another mention!
  • Good stuff, Amboline.
  • Congrats!!! Great news!
  • Great news - well done - enjoy cloud nine
  • Well done amboline, fully deserved.
  • I must be on a roll here... have also heard in the last week that I've managed a commendation in Quantum Leap, and third prize in the Cambridge poetry competition! That makes 5 competition successes this year.
  • A roll? Isn't it just talent shining through? Congrats!
  • Well done amboline!
  • Good on ya, Amboline.  How's the judging of the Speakeasy comp going, by the way?
  • Haha! I think a collection of my own is still a long way off, yet - I need to at least get to the end of the WN home study course and absorb the lessons from that (the lessons about notebook-keeping and how to revise your work have been paying dividends so far ;-)). It's a dream I have, certainly. I think I prefer to keep plugging away at the competitions until I have enough "recognised" material that I can justify pitching to one of the respected independents, rather than self-publish. In the meantime, I still have my website. It's getting a slow spring-clean (winter-clean?) at the moment so there should be a bit of new material on there soon.

In the shorter term, my poetic ambition is to get placed in one of the bigger competitions. I managed a "Highly Commended" in the Norwich comp this year, along with about 50 other people, which is a start; but it's the likes of the Kent & Sussex that I'd *really* like to crack. My successes so far have all been with smaller comps; the Envoi one that started this thread has been my biggest so far (Alison Chisholm reckons they get about 700 entries for each competition).
  • First successes of 2007 to report... firstly a £5 M&S voucher in a little competition for humorous poems organised by those awfully nice people at Dream Catcher. And yesterday, I heard I'd won the award for a Minimalist Poem in this year's Norwich Writers' Circle poetry competition. Never thought I'd see the day when I'd win an award for minimalist poetry, but I certainly can't complain, especially as there were some quite well known names on the winners' list next to me! ;-)
  • Well done Amboline, all good points for your CV.
    Last week we had John Lucas of the Shoestring Poetry Press, speaking at our Writers Club. He said he would expect to see, in approaches from poets, a good body of poems printed in respected poetry magazines and journals.
    There was a lot more beside that, but that seemed to be important to start with.
  • Well done!
  • Well done, you!  What's minimalist poetry?  Please give an example for dumbo here.
  • Well done amboline!
  • wow, what a string of successes Amboline - leave some comps for the rest of us! (only joking, you go for it)
  • TT, it's obviously very, very, minimalist!
  • Here's my go:

Roses are red, violets are blue
    I can't be bothered, can you?
  • Congratulations, Amboline!