Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The Politics of Fat

edited January 2008 in - Writing Tales
Thanks to everyone who helped me in November while I was researching my article on obesity. It led to a good, fat, discussion if I recall. Here's the finished article: http://www.plain-truth.org.uk/current_issue/politics_of_fat.htm

Comments

• That was really good Fiona, well done.
  • A really excellent piece Fiona. Thank you for writing it!
  • Thanks for your help Heather. Did you find your comment in there?
  • Excellent article Fiona - perfectly balanced.
  • Yes I did Fiona. Pleased to be of service!!
  • I write for this magazine every month. I love it! In the last year I've done, among others, pieces on Children's Literature and the Quest for the Divine, the Cult of Elvis Worship, The Politics of Fat and, due next week: The Tyranny of Democracy! Not exceptionally well-paid, but regular work, and by far some of the most interesting I've ever done.
  • A well written, entertaining piece Fiona - good on you!!
  • Just read it Fiona. Good stuff, really good stuff. I'm not a great fan of the BMI as it doesn't allow fat to muscle ratios. Muscle being heavier than fat. As a Sports Therapist we used to measure fat using calipers and then doing the sums. Much more accurate but the BMI is less intrusive. I think it's here to stay.
  • I had another sidebar with other methods of measuring muscle and weight (using the example of a rugby player), but the editor cut it - or should I say 'downsized' it! Are you still a sports therapist?
  • Not practicing Fiona. I am one those who has succumbed to a stress-related illness and suffer from coronary artery spasm. Prolonged stress could actually kill me so I now can't work. Have to be very careful at the moment with mum being so ill, me being carted into hospital won't help the situation any.
  • Also meant to say I think it was wrong of the editor to cut an important piece of information that would add balance. Not that I felt your article wasn't balanced, it was and perfectly so.
  • That's a good article, Fiona.
  • An excellent article, Fiona. I especially endorse your comments on the emphasis young people put on dieting to size zero. As someone size 14/16, I know I should be size 12 for my height, but refuse to yoyo diet. I'm satisfied enough to have been told this week after a blood test that my diabetic control after 25 years is very good.

Have you see that Paul McKenna is due to make 23 million pounds in America as a result of his book I can make you thin?
  • edited January 2008
    Editors are God ;) It would have been a layout decision primarily. Sorry you're not at your best, Cooper. And looking after your mum too. My hat off to you. On a much smaller scale, I'm at home for the next two weeks looking after my daughter with Chicken Pox. Ho hum.

Daisy ... what a ray of sunshine! Love the 'avatar'.

Good lord Verica! You've got to stand in awe of McKenna's gaul and the readers' gullibility. But desperate times call for desperate measures. A little bit of self-acceptance would go a long way. Says me!
  • Excellent article!! And the idea of obesity as a visible vice is very good. That is a terrible suggestion, to print a helpline number on large size clothes! As another naturally thin person, I know just what you experience in the assumptions of eating disorder :-) and how well-meaning people will fill up one's plate to overflowing, given half a chance. But at least they leave my clothes labels alone.
  • Well, apart from walking up behind me and tucking in the labels that usually stick out at the neck of whatever I'm wearing, that is :-)
  • I really think that label idea sucks. Not everyone is big because they overeat, just as not everyone who is very thin is neccesarily anorexic. I have yet to find any shop that fits exactly the same in that size as another- it's a real pain.
  • You're right, Carol. Not everyone is big because they overeat - there's medically-induced obesity, as well. A side effect of certain drugs is increased weight gain.

Well done Fiona. A good article!