Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Have been all at sea making waves.

edited January 2008 in - Writing Tales
Hi folks. Well I'm now back on terra firma. For those of you who weren't in the know I got offered the chance to do a series of lectures on a world cruise. With support from fellow TBers urging me on, I eventually took the plunge and accepted (having turned down four previously). It was really hard work
preparing eight hours' worth of talks but in the end worthwhile. The cruise was on the Saga Rose World Cruise - I was booked fro the first leg to Peru. Passengers were well into their 70s. One great guy was emigrating to NZ with his wife whom he married 10 years ago. He had a sharp mind and good sense of humour. Walked nimbly round the decks. Just a mere 102 years old! Ship was one of the old style, carrying 400 passengers and 300 crew. Staff very friendly. Food superb. And my talks? Well they seemed to go swell. Had some favourable comments - enough to make a fella blush.
Got home to find I'm being asked to do a one week's trip to Norway on P&O's Oceana in May.

Comments

• MW. The chap who was emigrating made all the headlines here. Good to have you back.
  • Congratulations Malcolm - we just knew you could do it. Sounds like you were a roaring success and sailed happily into the sunset.
  • edited January 2008
    Sounds like a very successful trip, MW. Well done you!! And welcome back!
  • Well done Malcolm! So you were ship shape and Bristol fashion?
  • Nice to have you back Mr Welshman - how much weight have you gained?
  • Great to hear it went so well MW. Did you get a chance to enjoy yourself when you weren't working?
    Glad you're back, you've been missed.
  • Welcome back! and well done!
    Now you need to find an icon quick, before you go sailing off again, perhaps a ship would be appropriate ...
  • top ten silliest questions asked on a cruise ship

10. Do these steps go up or down?

9. What do you do with the beautiful ice carvings after they melt?

8. Which elevator do I take to get to the front of the ship?

7. Does the crew sleep on the ship?

6. Is this island completely surrounded by water?

5. Does the ship make its own electricity?

4. Is it salt water in the toilets?

3. What elevation are we at?

2. There's a photographer on board who takes photos and displays them the next day... the question asked...If the pictures aren't marked, how will I know which ones are mine?

1. What time is the Midnight Buffet being served?
  • Now MW is back, we'll have to ask him if he had any strange questions directed at him.
  • Thanks everyone for the warm welcome back. There were many memorable moments. My slot was 3.15 in the afternoon in a rather warm cinema/theatre so the risk of dozing off in the semi-darkness was high. One of my talks was on creepy-crawlies. The fourth in the series. By then there were some regulars attending, in particular two ladies who always sat near the front in the same seats. On this afternoon one of them kept nodding off despite vigorous nudges by her friend. It was at this point that I was going on to talk about a tarantula that I'd once treated. Aware that there was the possiblity of people dozing off I'd got a container from the crew and had written 'Danger Tarantula' on it. So as I was about to start on the tarantula story with a huge picture of one on the screen, I waved this container in front of the ladies and exclaimed 'Oh dear, the top's come off. Could you please look under your seats in case the spider's lurking under there. If so could you return Tammy to me.' That jolted the friend into wakefulness - she remained bolt upright for the rest of the talk - and several people apparently took a quick look under their seats.
  • I like it. Glad I wasn't there, I'd have been stood up on the seat cowering.
  • Okay, I know I can't cower AND stand upright.
  • nasty trick, MW! but a good one!
  • edited January 2008
    Love the tarantula story!
    Glad to see you back safe and sound. Even I saw the news report on BBC World about the old fella emigrating to New Zealand - what a coincidence.
    Hope you kept a journal MW because it sounds like you may have some good material from the trip. Do tell us more stories if/when you have time.
    By the way - I'm dying to know about the Panama Canal as I saw a recent documentary about the building of it. What was it like going through the locks?
    Looks like you're on a roll now - will you accept the Norway cruise invite?
  • Welcome back. Great story. Are you tempted to go on another cruise?
  • Has MW got his land legs back yet!
  • Nice to have you back MW - sounds like you had a fun time.
  • edited January 2008
    Great to see you back again, MW. You didn't get seasick, did you? What a marvellous experience - well done.
  • MW. The art of a truly great lecture. Brilliant.

IK. I'm still laughing. Are people really that idiotic? :-)
  • But it's OK to ask how much a penny-whistle is.
  • Jay: my brother learned the meaning of inflation at an early age, when he went into a sweet shop and his mate asked how much the penny bubble-gums were.

The answer: "5p".

Malcolm: glad to hear you had such a good time. Peru, gosh, I'm envious! I'd heartily recommend Norway - it is a fantastic country, stunningly beautiful, and I can't think of a better way to see it than on a cruise ship.
  • Glad it went well Malcolm. Looks like there's no stopping you now. :-)
  • Welcome home, MW. Glad it went well. Must have been quite an experience.