Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A new departure for me

edited February 2008 in - Writing Tales
Although I'm no IT expert, I've got an article in the March issue of PCPlus magazine. A linguist's point of view was required to explain some of the pitfalls of translation and why it's going to be quite a while yet before a computer is able to compete on equal terms with a skilled human.

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Is your use of the words 'skilled human' making a point?

Should also have said - well done :)
  • clever one, well done!
  • Well done montholon - think IK has a point about the "skilled human" :-)
  • Well done.
  • Well done montholon.
  • Congratulations!
  • Congrats, montholon!
  • I used 'skilled' because it's rarely possible to translate word for word from one language to another. Vocabulary, syntax, register and the ability to match idioms all come into play. Try translating 'every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it' into another language and you'll see what I mean.
  • Sorry. I got carried away and forgot to thank you all for your congratulations.
  • Congratulations montholon.
  • edited February 2008
    That probably counts me out then, Montholon ;)
  • That explains why translators are so valuable then.
  • Congratulations, Montholon! I've just translated your suggestion 'Every time he opens his mouth . . ." into Croatian and it's OK, but I agree, it would not be understood in the same way possibly, in Croatia. It sounds even worse in German!
  • what a wonderful orriginal idea, well done.
  • Well done montholon ! Lateral thinking ! There was an article in a WM a couple of issues ago suggesting something similar - e.g. targeting trade magazines but with your own speciality. Sounds as tho you've gone one better. Don't forget that that range also includes Linux Format and MAC Format magazines ! Literally just bought my sub to the former so just been on Future Publishing's web site.

P
  • Ooops, almost missed this! Well done montholon! :-)
  • Well done, Montholon. Can quite see translating some of our wonderful sayings must present a challenge but presumably other languages have similar idiosyncracies. This looks like a good market to follow up with so many titles on the shelves.