Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

PLR petition

edited February 2008 in - Reading
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/plr-funding/

To sign a petition to retain the current funding level for Public Lending Right - the money authors receive when their books are borrowed from libraries - go to the above-mentioned site.

Comments

• Hi Jay, I've been and signed-though I'm not yet in the position to get PLR (one day I hope) I have a number of older friends for whom it is valuable.
    So do go and sign if you can.
  • Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Jay. I think it's something that all writers should support, no matter what the likelihood of our profiting from it in the future! We owe it to the people who inspire us.
  • Signed but can't confirm until I get home as hotmail is blocked at work...stupid office.

Will confirm it as soon as I get home...get signing people
  • I've asked our communication officer to let the e-mail list members of our writers club, to know about it.
  • I've signed it. Don't understand the figures though. Is it supposed to be divided up somehow?
  • Thanks for the highlight Jay - I've signed.
  • I've signed it too now, thanks Jay :D
  • Divide what way Josie?
  • Well the figure is set at a certain amount (this from the petition)

PLR’s funding settlement for the three year period 2008/09 – 2010/11 has been announced by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. The figures are as follows:

2007/08 (current funding) = £7,682,000
    2008/09 = £7,432,000
    2009/10 = £7,582,000
    2010/11 = £7,682,000

As authors we are meant to get a small sum (fraction of pence) for every time one of our books is borrowed from a library up to a maximum threshold of several thousand pounds per annum so that the most borrowed authors don't take all the cash from the authors who are less regularly borrowed. So theoretically if the numbers of books that get borrowed over all go down then more will be paid per book-borrowing (which is presumably the theory behind this cut as there's a decline in library use). The amount you get paid per book-borrow isn't a set amount, it's done with statistics. I find statistics interesting so bear with me on this. I disagree with it being cut, I've signed the petition, but I'm just wondering if this has happened - has the amount per book-borrow gone up? Has PLR been around for long enough for anyone to notice? Do any talkbackers get PLR statements and if so can they shed light on what the statement looks like? Does it tell you how many times each title was borrowed, other useful information such as in which libraries or boroughs are your books the most popular? Or does it just give you the money, however small?
  • Well how many TB's get PLR will depend on whether their books are in the sample libraries, and are borrowed enough to qualify.
    Jay gets PLR statements, so he should tell you what they look like.
    The current sample libraries list goes up to the end of June, then the new list comes in at the beginning of July. You can view the lists on their website.
    One of my friends at the club will not get PLR after July, because his local history books aren't relevent elsewhere, and Nottingham and Nottinghamshire come off the list in July.
  • As the sum for the next three years will not rise in line with inflation- while the writer will still get x pence, there will possibly be a few less qualifying for PLR over that time.
  • edited February 2008
    Yep, I'll just get my statement ...

Amongst other things, it lists the number of loans per book and the amount paid in respect of each. The Dandelion Clock was borrowed 568 times, and I received £33.97 for it. (Is it 6p per loan? I can't be bothered to work out the maths.)

I've probably got a page giving general details, but that's upstairs somewhere (but I can find it, I hope).
  • I can't sign the petition, I'm not a British citizen - but if I were I would...
  • Thanks Jay.
  • Thanks Jay, 6p per borrow is more than I expected. I thought it would be more like 0.06p!
  • edited March 2009
    27th March 2009

To view the Government's response, go to:

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page18782
  • Yes, it was in my inbox this evening- not very impressive.
    Basically: we've increased it in the past and that should be good enough, so go away and stop whinging.
    Perhaps it's just my age...;)