Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

My first WN competition success

edited April 2008 in - Writing Tales
Hi everyone!

Just thought you might like to know that my 2nd prize winning story for the "Bench in the Park" short story competition is now on the WN website at

http://www.writersnews.co.uk/showcase/humphrey/default.asp

along with some quite flattering (and intriguing!) comments from the judge. The paragraphing seems to have disappeared, and my personal comments about the central character have been truncated mid-sentence, but I hope that doesn't spoil anyone's enjoyment of the story.

It's rather a delight to see something of mine up there at last!

I'm aware that the person who won 1st prize in this one is also a Talkbacker, but I can't remember who. Please reveal yourself - I'm looking forward to reading your story!

Comments

• Well done on story, and good to see the comments.
  • Well done Amboline.
  • Congratulations, Amboline! :-)
  • Loved the story! Well done Amboline!
  • Congratulations - got my copy today so am about to go and look!
  • Oh great news - I'm off to have a read. Congratulations
  • I liked your story a lot, Andy. Quite a little page turner. I hope others read it. I haven't heard the phrase 'Normality Reversion' before, but I know what the judge is getting at. If nothing else, your story demonstrates that WN stories don't have to conform to a cosy 'People's Friend' sort of formula.
  • I've read your story - it's great. I just loved 'incubating a heart attack'.
  • Well done Amboline. I'll save it for my tea break!
  • Great story, Amboline. Congratulations!
  • Very, very good.
  • Congratulations, Amboline!
  • congratulations!!
  • Very good story Amboline. Well done again. :)
  • Really enjoyed the story, Amboline - congratulations.
  • Congrats! :)
  • What a good story. Great use of language and it's so believable too! I like the use of the grey image throughout. Well done Amboline.
  • Really enjoyed your story, Amboline. Deceptively gentle and well observed.
  • *blushes* Thank you so much for your kind comments - they're a real boost :)

Seeing as I critiqued Robin1's winning story a couple of months back, I think it's only fair to add that if Robin, or anyone else for that matter, has any constructive criticism of their own to offer, you can feel free to post it on here (or whisper it if you prefer)!
  • Congrats Amboline, liked the story, a nice twist.
  • Finally had quiet to read your story Amboline- it was really good, and I didn't see the blackmail coming.
  • Great story Amboline, made a change from the usual litle old lady stories.
  • Congratulations!
  • Well done Amboline :)
  • Well done, Amboline! So if the winner is also a talkbacker - what name do we know her as?
  • Well done - i spotted your name when I flicked through earlier. I'll read the story later.
  • Excellent story Amboline, beautifully crafted - many congratulations.

(But oh dear, Carol. I wish you hadn't mentioned the twist - there was no surprise for me or anyone else who reads this thread before the story now.)
  • Well done Amboline! :-)
  • I read your story, well done!
  • I really enjoyed that, Amboline. Congratulations.
  • Sorry Claudia. I didn't realise you hadn't seen it by then- I've been absent for quite a bit of the last two days, so was late reading it.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It seemed so effortless yet it grabbed me. I wish I had such talent.
  • Well done Amboline, I enjoyed the story. Lovely twist. :P
  • I loved your story. Preferred it to the winner. The winning story was v good except for the ending.
  • I thought the winning story was well written with some nice images but was rather predictable.
  • Congratulations Amboline.
  • Well done Amboline! That's great news!
  • Well done amboline :-)
  • Right where do I begin..?

Think it will help if I actually read the story first...and for that I need to get my copy.

Will let you know when I have read it!!
  • it's on the web site Robin