Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

just a bit of fun (one of the bits that i've been writing today to develop into a story)

edited April 2008 in - Writing Tales
While the headmaster told me off for hitting Belinda, which I had done for reasons he no longer asked me about, I tried not to look at the dead girl in the rose bushes several metres below his office window.
“Are you listening?” he demanded and I gratefully gave him my attention. I even opened my mouth to tell him, but he cut me off. “Belinda’s parents are both governors!”
“Yes sir,” I said, taking pity on him, just like he must pity me. “Sorry sir. Dead girl in the bushes, sir.”
“Does it smell?” he strode over and shut the window.
“No, sir. Not from here.”
“Then it can wait,” he said, moving back to his desk.

Comments

• Ooh, I'm intrigued! Keep going.
  • Like it!
  • What a great opening!
  • Oh that is quite disturbing. I really want to know what else happens!
  • More please....! :)
  • Yes!!! More!!!
  • Well I'm hooked :)
  • More please! We sound like little Oliver. :P
  • He talked some more and through the corner of my eye, I could see his lips moving. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, punctuating each sentence with a snarl.
    But I couldn't get the image of the dead girl out of my mind. Her lifeless body, sprawled there. Legs twisted at an acute angle. The flowers in her hair.
    "Sir," I interrupted. "If I don't look at her again, she may be gone. Like the others."
  • Oooh, I like it loads! Do we get any more or are you going to leave us hanging? Please post more!
  • Ooh nice, Riaz...I honestly would use that if i could, but this story's nagging my head.

If it was me, or even my twin sister lying dead in the bushes, I reckoned, I'd want to be found now, rather than to fall somewhere on the headmaster's to-do list. Well alright, maybe not if it was Eve. I'd decided a long time ago to leave her to her plans of becoming Hitler's wife incarnate.
    Something about expulsion--I yanked my attention back to the headmaster's lecture. "Please sir, don't expel me. And there really is--"
    "I wasn't threatening you with that," he scowled at me and I knew I was now busted for not listening. "The only reason I don't expel you is because of your mother…but my patience is wearing thin!"
    This time I just nodded, shrinking in my chair.
    "Are you going to hit Belinda again or not?" he asked coldly, standing up especially so he could tower over me.
    "I'll try not to," I said, resolving to research methods for inflicting pain that left no bruises or blood. It gave me quiet pride that even after four years of Belinda's violence, I hadn't really snapped, though that was mostly because I knew that Dad would kill me for the negative publicity that would place on my family. That really would send Mother over that edge we'd been pulling her back from for so many years.
    My eyes slid back towards the girl's pale hand, its white fingers curled tightly around one of the thorny branches. She had purple nail varnish, I now saw, and I remembered her stealing it from my room. Something clenched inside me and I stood up and faced my headmaster.
    "Not another lie," he warned me.
    "No sir," I said, then turned on my heel and ran from his office.
  • here's the next bit in case.