Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Mark Chadbourn

I never did get around to giving you feedback on the writing workshop I attended on the 3rd of April in Burton on Trent. It was hosted by Runaway Writers, a writing group which meets fortnightly at the Brewhouse in Burton on Trent. The workshop was about writing fantasy and horror and was run by Mark Chadbourn. He began by telling us what publishers are looking for at the moment: 'high fantasy' novels, where the background involves a society similar to one of our own 'ancient' ones; plotlines based on a quest; something that has a unique selling point. Also, publishers want novels that have a market already. He also spoke about the fact that editors buy 'ideas': line by line writing sometimes does not matter and some books are rewritten in-house.

We then did some writing exercises around this 'idea'/'story'. The three main themes were: creating the place/background; creating the characters in that place; creating the action/inciting incident that starts the story. We had to write about six sentences for each of these themes, to provide the reader with an 'image'. For example, my six sentences for my fantasy world were:
1. Skies, pale lilac to vicious violet.
2. Three moons and two suns.
3. The two faced magician and the apprentice.
4. The white city, gleaming in the last light.
5. A three-rigger riding stormy seas.
6. The White Witch, old and wise, the key to salvation.

One interesting exercise he uses when he is creating characters for TV scripts, where time is of the essence, is ask himself a few questions about the character: what animal would this character be; what car would this character be; what cake would this character be.

All in all, it was a useful workshop to attend and I got a signed copy of 'Jack of Ravens', Book 1 of the 'Kingdom of the Serpent' series. Mark Chadbourn was very friendly and approachable. Also, Runaway Writers were very welcoming.

Comments

• Sounds like fun, MDD, and a useful exercise. I like your ideas, too :) I hope you're going to write it, now!
  • Glad to hear it was so productive. :)