Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Make your SP publicity machine roll

edited July 2008 in - Writing Tales
Since I (self) published latest book on 4th June I've worked hard to generate loads of publicity. Here's some hints and tips for others, based on what I've done in the past five weeks for my book Notable Sussex Women.

For example, book launch at local museum with local MP giving a speech=photos=something to send the local paper.
Piece published in local paper = scan it in and put it on website!
Tell local bookshops about all the local publicity you're getting and send them the webpage!

Book signing at bookshop.
Tell local press and radio stations before the event so that can broadcast it as a "meet the author event".
Sell books. Take photos. Give out an author-flyer to those who won't buy, so they can visit your website when they get home and buy direct from you!
Send photos to press as above, and put resultant press article on website.
Tell other bookshops about all the local publicity you're getting and send them the webpage!

Arrange to give a talk at the local library.
Tell local press and radio stations before the event so that can broadcast it as a "meet the author event".
Take photos. Sell books.
Send photos to press as above, and put resultant press article on website.
Tell other bookshops about all the local publicity you're getting and send them the webpage!

Track down all relevant publications and e-zines, and the relevant people within them (e.g. book corner or arts page).
Email them and offer to send a copy of the book for review.
Offer to write articles based on the material in the book, in return for them advertising your book at the foot of the article.
Also publicise any personal appearances, talks, etc that you are doing in the newspaper's area.
Also try to think up ways that you can offer something more in the paper or magazine ... for example, give away a copy or two as prizes in a competition. Makes sure ALL competition entries are sent to you so you can send the losers a special offer to buy the book direct from you at a discount. Chances are, if they bothered to enter the competition, they are sufficiently interested already.

Track down the broadcasters of hospital radio and offer yourself as a guest to be interviewed live. This will give you a chance to practise your radio skills in preparation for being on "real" radio.
You can then legitimately say in your online biog that you "have appeared on radio."
Get a CD or tape copy of the broadcast. Listen and learn how you can improve next time.
The BBC are more likely to have you on if you are not tongue-tied or embarrassed.
When you are on the radio, NEVER say "my book", always give its title and always say at the end where people can buy it.

Find ALL local publications, not just the local paper. For example, in Hastings alone I found four other local publications. In the past month I've had features about my book in all of them.

Don't pass by secondhand bookshops, so long as they are tasteful and not too grubby. I've managed to persuade three so far to stock my new book. Just make sure you only leave one or two copies and tell them you'll have them back if they don't sell. As they have nothing to lose, why should they not take them?

Think of off-beat places to sell your book. So far I've got mine in two cafes, an antique shop, a gift shop, the local tourist info centre, the shipwreck museum and a hotel.

If your book lends itself to such things (mine does!) create booklets for sale at £1 or so with an extract from your book and an irresistable offer to buy it direct from you at a big discount.
At my talk at a local library, I sold 15 such booklets.
My booklets will soon be sold at local museums, cafes, etc who refuse to stock a hardback book, on ebay and on instant download on my website, using Payloadz to take the money (no fees).

Comments & additional ideas welcome.

Helena Wojtczak
Notable Sussex Women
www.hastingspress.co.uk

Comments

• Helena, good stuff.
    I did the whole round, newsagents, book shops, stately homes, museums, tourist attractions, local coffee bar (already signed two copies for customers) and so on. An island distributor was approached by several people I targeted with a sample, result, they are taking on the distribution for me, which means getting into Tourist Information Offices and saves me the postage.
    The book has also gone to associated societies (any with 15th century links) for review and to other magazines who might be interested. Don't overlook reviews in journals of relevant societies, and as there appears to be a society for everything ...
    The book has already opened one door for me, although they have decided not to stock it, I got a freebie visit to a local stately home and a long chat with the owner, a chance to sit and absorb the atmosphere of the rooms, and a promise of any future help I need with that particular book when I get back to writing it. Not bad for one free copy!
  • Ta Dorothy

I do envy you having only the Isle of Wight to conquer. My darned county is 75 miles across, and I am at one end of it! But I am determined to get as much coverage at the other end as I do locally!

Helena
  • keep it going, Helena, you'll get there. I have a tremendous amount of outlets, many have not responded yet to the sample but once the reviews get out and the publicity (free table at a medieval weekend, for a start= just before the book launch too) it will be good. I am told that a lot of mainland people will be over for that weekend, so I will make the most of it. Preparations are well under way, acquiring table, chair, flag (for the table)getting the books home ... it goes on!

Your sales will be bigger than mine, having so much of an area, but I am told by the magazine editor that I will need a minimum of 1000 books to satisfy the island's history lovers and tourists. I had 500 printed and can arrange the other print run as and when needed.

Have you had any problems with the Legal Deposit Office of the British Library? I have just sent them one of my ultra sarcastic letters. They asked for a copy of a book we have not printed and have never notified anyone that it has been printed and also asked for a copy of a book by someone I had never heard of, with a title that I had never heard of, either. How they managed to associate that with my imprint I don't know. When they ask me properly, with paperwork, for Captain of the Wight, they can have a copy, and not a moment before. They are not exactly the most competent bunch of government officials - but who are these days?
  • Helena, that's fascinating. The upbeat, positive side of self-publishing! I like the look of your book, it's going on my Christmas wish-list. (OK, it's not really a wish-list, more a 'here are the books you'll be buying me for Christmas' list. OH says he prefers it to guessing.)
  • Great stuff Helena and good to hear that you and Dorothy are doing so well. Totally different genre and market to what I write though.
  • Well done!
  • There's the local societies to tap into. But talks here have to be set up nearly a year in advance of your book being published. I did this with the paperback of Pets in Prospect published in Feb. Went for WI auditions in Devon, Somerset and Dorset last year and consequently got talks lined up for the months after the book was published and they're still ongoing with a ripple effect. One WI hears about you and passes your name on. They're always desperate for new speakers. I've over forty talks to give as a result. And there's the Townswomen's Guild, Probus, Inner Wheel of Rotary, Round Table, Lions, U3A, Conservative and Labour Clubs, Moose International. Plus there are the schools. And look out for local fund raising events for Charities or churches where if you're prepared to give your talk for free you'll at least get a plug for your book. I've done NSPPC, opened a local fete for village funds, St Margaret's Hospice, Children SW Hospice, Torch Trust for the blind: and yesterday got asked to give a talk to raise funds for the roof of a local church. and a Harvest Festival talk for another leaky church roof in the autumn. As some TBers know, through giving talks on local radio, I've been 'launched' in to cruise ship lecturing. And that's a whole new world. But the potential for flogging books and the general publicity is huge. And so I sale on.
  • Thanks everyone for comments.

Welshman: I've done a fair few talks and book sales are disappointing, sometimes as low as zero. I guess I am a dull speaker! I don't drive, so the talks circuit has its limits for me. However, I am doing a talk on 7th August, and I am doing a Meet The Author day in a pub that holds these things in an attempt to become a literary Mecca.
  • BTW, you say the WI are desperate for new speakers, yet they make you audition first, and in my case the audition was held in another town to which I would have to travel first by train then get a bus or taxi, and they were not even going to meet my travel expenses. All that only to be booked at places I cannot reach. I didn't bother to go. I think that for me, the time spent in preparing, travelling to and giving talks and then getting home again is better spent elsewhere.

I had an article published in a local free mag that is pushed through people's doors and have already had five orders in by mail in response to the special offer.

Helena
  • Agree it would be difficult to do talks for the WI if you don't drive as some of the branches are out in the sticks. In the 18 talks (not all WI) I've given since March of this year I've sold a total of 143 books so it's been worthwhile for me and does help to build up a readership base for the sequel.
  • Many congrats on your talks and book sales! Everyone has pets, so your book should be a good seller. I write things that don't sell well, because I write as a hobby and purely because I love my subject. Helena
  • That would make your talk all the more interesting Helena as you would be speaking from the heart and with passion. I've found that with more talks that I give, I'm building up more confidence and learning which anecdotes go down best; and can recognise when I've got an audience hooked so that I can pause before delivering the punch line and know I'll get the required laugh or if it's a sad tale the big 'ahhh'. I don't tend to use slides or other props and rely on painting a mental picture and actually ask the audience to visualise the scene I'm setting for some of the stories. Your subject matter sounds fascinating with great potential for doing similar. Just a thought but have you any friends in local amateur dramatics who could possibly put together a presentation based on your book and then do the rounds of WI and the like? They'd get the fee but you'd get the publicity and book sales. They could even do readings from your book dressed in period costume if apt. Ladies of a certain age would adore that.
  • Funny you should say that Welshman because a coupla weeks back I was one of only two speakers at an event and I attended the other talk to see what I could learn. The guy was dressed up in 18th century dress and introduced himself AS the person he had written the book about: Mad Jack Fuller. He was fabulously talented as an actor and throughout his performance I was wondering if I could do the same myself. It helps that Mad Jack was an eccentric, wild character, of course. Most of my ladies were "ladies"! My book features 580 women, and logistics would require that I dressed up as only one of them. Imagine me getting on the local bus in a Victorian costume? I doubt whether book sales would ever cover the cost of a handmade dress! I don't know any luvvies in amdram.

I think I'm just a dull speaker, quite frankly. More than one person has fallen asleep during my talks. I think I'm trying so hard to get my facts right and my voice right, and trying not to sway from side to side, (which I have a tendency to do and have to watch myself all the time to make sure I don't!) that the actual content comes out a bit stiff, dull and serious. I do exactly what you do though: put in humour, use comic timing and say hilariously funny things with a deadpan look on my face, which usually gets a laugh.

People always come up and say how much they enjoyed my talk, but I think they are just being polite!

Helena
  • http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/sussexwomenpress4.html

http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/sussexwomenpress3.html

http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/sussexwomenpress2.html

http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/sussexwomenpress.html