Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

George Cross Hero

JanJan
edited July 2008 in - Writing Tales
The heroism of Mathew Croucher deserves the widest recognition.

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jul/24/military.afghanistan

A reservist in 40 Commando, Taunton (Somerset) the Lance Corporal was in a small group conducting a covert operation in Afghanistan last February.
Whether he's a typical "brummy" or naturally selfless, the fact that he threw himself onto an activated grenade showed exemplary courage with consideration for his comrades.

Why have I brought this to your attention in Writing Tales?
This factual event provides huge potential for we writers; human interest, action, adventure, all the emotions from mother's fears to comrades relief, better than any fictitious thoughts we might conjure.

The icing on the cake of this story is the fact that Mathew has lived to tell the tale with minor physical injury. He is the sort of character that should help todays youth understand there is far more purpose to life than yob culture.

Comments

• Mattew deserves the George Cross.
  • Very well deserved.
  • As the boards appear far more active seven days on, just thought it might be worth bringing this thread forward.
  • This could be the very inspiration I need to enter the one word challenge at last. With this month's word being "BROKEN" it's given me an idea that may or may not work. Watch this space to see if I deem it worthy of entry or not.
  • We're watching ...