Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A Tabby Cat Story

edited October 2008 in - Writing Tales
Some of you may remember my Shaggy Dog Story. Here is another true story that I wrote while we were in Spain for the children of our friends in Fiji.

A Tabby Cat Story – for Zack and Ella

Sardina, the cat, has never been a friendly cat. Whenever you try to stroke her, she moves away with a flick of her tail as if to say, “do you mind?”
Since we’ve been staying here she has learnt that being stroked is really quite nice and she now lies on her back and lets us tickle her tummy.
Sardina is a hungry cat. Before they left, our friends said, “only feed her once a day! She’s supposed to catch vermin!” (Because they know we’re a bit soppy with cats.)
But she cries every morning enough to break your heart. So we give her just a few little Munchies to keep her going til dinner-time. (And this makes her love us even more.)
We’ve been buying quite a few bits and bobs for our new house in France and temporarily storing them in a shed outside.
When D opened the shed today, a rat ran out, panicked and ran back in. D got a fright, but it was a small rat, so he got over the shock quite quickly.
He pulled his tool bag out of the shed. When he opened the bag three small rats bounced out of the bag like jack-in-the-boxes: ping ping ping… they jumped in all directions.
D jumped quite a bit too!
He came marching over to the house, picked up Sardina, and put her in the shed to sniff out the first rat, saying, “no more extra Munchies for you. You’re not doing your job!”
When he opened the shed door a few minutes later, Sardina shot out again, indignant and a bit scared too.
She cautiously sniffed the tool bag, then came running back to the house, twisting and twirling around my legs to tell me it must be Munchie time.

Comments

• awww lol!!! cheeky Sardina!
  • aaah, how sweet. I don't think people should merely have cats for killing vermin, that should be a bonus, not the be all and end all. Cats are companions, mine are. Lucy always gets a hug. I have hugged Mystery, my Bengal but she can stand that for a few minutes unless she is in the mood for it, after that, she tells you, an oerf is an oerf - get it.