Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

PLR doubt over library e-book plans

edited November 2008 in - Reading
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/70472-plr-doubt-over-library-e-book-plans.html

Comments

• These things can just take over if we don't take a stand. I'm not against e-books, but I am concerned that the structures are not in place for authors to get paid their dues. The same has happened in the magazine market where my income has nearly halved because editors now assume that they buy electronic rights and print rights at the same time. So they get two for the price of one. You can argue it, but might lose the commission.
  • Agree with you Fiona. They have rushed ahead with bringing all this in, but are now only considering the important person in it- the writer- as an after thought!
    And it seems that they are being treated as second class citizens.
  • Did they learn nothing from the Writers Guild strike last year ?
  • Probably not. The great god Profit comes first in many minds, writers second.
  • No one in publishing would make any money without us the writers.
  • and they seem to forget that...
  • About time they started to realise it imo - book shops too !
  • I wonder if anyone had thought of this: if someone gets a book POD (for example) they pay the money at the library, then the library somehow distributes the money to the various writers?
  • P.S I almost forgot, you pay like you would for a photocopy.
  • And the local council would put that money into the libraries budget and reduce their funding to that amount. I joke not!
    It has to have an organised system like the PLR running it. Though I don't see a sample libraries system working for e-books.
  • Its not practical and I'm sorry but when it comes to things like this, nothing beats a good paperback
  • The sample library thing doesn't work as it is - your books have to be available in the libraries chosen for that years sample, and if they are not (like mine), then regardless of how many times they are borrowed in other libraries, you are not paid. How can this be fair ?
  • Agree, this is especially relevent to those who produce local history books.
  • That's not fair at all Author Online.