Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

'Literally' tops a list of the most hated phrases of Daily Telegraph readers

edited November 2008 in - Reading
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3400722/Literally-tops-a-list-of-the-most-hated-phrases-of-Daily-Telegraph-readers.html

Comments

• Tell you which one really gets me at the moment is 'credit crunch'. Sounds like an expensive breakfast cereal.
  • edited November 2008
    I hate 'upcoming'. It literally grates.

:)

Not keen on 'basically' or spoken sentences which begin "I have to say...".

Listen up. If you're about to say something, you don't have to prefix it with "I have to say". Your babbling is enough!

:(

Yes. I am in a very bad mood today. Literally.
  • edited November 2008
    "Looking to" - why not just say "want to"?
    And "give it up for" - what a dopey way of asking people to clap.
  • I think Alan Sutton shoots himself in the foot when he condemns 'upcoming' and goes on the say: "Whatever happened to 'forthcoming'?" This word is archaic, which is why I prefer the Americanised or made up 'upcoming'. Mind you I move in circles where no-one would use either and would simply miss them out.

The lists make no mention of 'To be honest...' to preface a statement, or 'wannabe'. But I like these phrases and 'hip words', as long as they are not a grammatical mistake as in 'should of'.
  • So I've heard.
  • Absolutely. I have to say, at the end of the day it's not rocket science, is it. With all due respect, I personally think that at this moment in time poorly spoken and written grammar is literally a nightmare. Basically, people are fairly unique and if you're going to start nitpicking at the things they say, you should tell them to their face and shouldn't of had them printed in papers and on the net 24/7. I'm gutted to think our beautiful language is not going forward on a daily basis and it's neither here nor there that upcoming language experts say they can offer a safe pair of hands in which to keep our language preserved up until future generations get hold of it. Someone should do something about it and I'm looking to you, my fellow writers to give it up for those of us who never say the wrong thing. :D
  • Island Girl is in the house! Make some noise, people!
  • Give up writing, IG. It would be for the best.