Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Book Deal or Bust

2»

Comments

• I'll get it tomorrow when I go into WH Smiths.
  • Wasn't in WHS when I dropped by today (Do I subscribe or don't I?)
    I'll let you know my reaction ....
  • I find it is never in WHS until Friday morning.
  • Does it appear for subscribers the day it's due out? Is it any cheaper to subscribe?
  • £33 for 11 issues against £38.50 in a shop.
  • I'm in. I can enter WriteInvite twice for the difference!
  • Viv, CleverKindly Baggers has just scanned and sent the article and I've read it. Since Hilary Johnson also read one of my earlier RNA entries, your writing-journey story and mine seem even more closely related! And I'll bet there are a lot of readers Out There who can relate to the 'changing the book to please its last critter' (great word!) Your article has also given me another bit of a nudge - my 3 months are up now with MacMillan so I might as well have a go with SnowBooks ... Cheers, Viv!
  • Glad you are happy with it, ceka. Our writing lives are certainly running very much parallel. I heard nothing from MacMillan after 3 months either, and have now had my rejection from snowbooks. Oh, well - onwards and upwards!
  • Upwards and Onwards! To Infinity and Beyond!
  • Well, folks, it looks like the end of the road. Still no book deal for my novel, despite a year of trying. I have just written and submitted the final instalment of my WF column, for the December issue. End of an era for me. But lots of other projects on the go, so it's really not the end of the world. Done Barbados, not quite done the novel... What can I write about next?
  • Keep trying, or have you got the next novel in production that we can follow...?
  • edited October 2009
    Sorry to hear that, Viv. It's good that you're optimistic and have other projects. Good luck with it all.
  • Whilst you may not have achieved a book deal for your novel you have proved to yourself that you can finish a book and take it through all the editing and other processs needed to reach that stage. You have also been brave enough to do so in the public eye and for that you should be very pleased with yourself.

I hope you soon find a new project or are able to work on some other elements of writing that have perhaps been deemed less important during the past year. Whatever you decide, I am sure your columns have inspired others to have a go and that is an achievement in itself.
  • edited October 2009
    [quote=Wordy]Whilst you may not have achieved a book deal for your novel you have proved to yourself that you can finish a book and take it through all the editing and other processs needed to reach that stage. You have also been brave enough to do so in the public eye and for that you should be very pleased with yourself.

Agree with that Wordy, it has probably given an insight to many who may have submitted before their book was really ready.
    Congratulation Viv.
  • And you've made a name for yourself!
  • Strangely enough, I have come to those same conclusions myself and will be saying so in the last column - just writing the novel is an achievement, I have brought myself into the public eye, and I've helped to inspire and advise others. I have also quoted success and disaster stories and comments from several other writers and given them publicity (3 more to get a mention in December). All good stuff - and I've been paid for writing eleven monthly columns about it in WF, so the novel has made me some cash too!
  • Well done Viv is what I say. It'll happen.
  • Well done Viv. :-)
  • Well done.
  • You've done well. I have enjoyed reading your weekly column/pages and it has helped me a lot.
    I have come to a bit of an impasse too. My book for children didn't come anywhere in the SCWBI comp ( winners anounced last week) yet it was shortlisted in the Cornerstones are you ready to submit? comp out of 1,000 and was shortlisted in another comp to final 4. I really wanted it to make the SCWBI comp, as ten winners get extracts in an anthology and it is sent out to agents all over the world. So I was disappointed. It was feeling like the end of the road too, but hey there are other roads and I am going to start work on another book.
    Never give up, dreams do come true as you know cos u got to Barbados.
  • Kateyanne has your book been rejected by publishers with a standard no thanks, or did you get any positive comments?
  • Hi Carol,
    Had a lot of positive comments from publishers and agents. I had the Cornerstones critique done too and that was very postive.
  • So perhaps it won't be a totally lost cause, at some point in the future it may find a home.:)
  • I'd give all of yours a home, KA! But I'm no use to you cos I'm not the commissioning editor. Sorry!
    Keep going, everyone.
  • You're not continuing with WF, Viv? That's a shame, I really look forward to your column. It sort of makes makes it a "real" writers' mag for "us", not just one where smug writers offer their tips of the trade. (Smug... I'm being harsh I know; but if I were published that's what I'd be!) p)

so there.
  • Thanks Louise, but the column couldn't go on indefinitely with no agent/publisher success to report. If I had got a deal I probably could have kept writing it to show the process through to publication. Still might be able to do that one day!
  • Could you write about - writing a column?
  • I could even write about writing about writing a column!
  • Hi Viv, its Chris from Caerleon :-)

Sorry you didnt get the book deal - next one eh?
  • I wanna go there next year, PP
  • Thanks Chris. Other irons in the fire! Hope your own efforts are paying off. See you in the summer.
  • Good luck, Viv.Brave attempt!
  • Just got my free copy of the Decemeber issue of WF, with my final column in it. A lovely 2 page spread. Shame it's all over! Thanks to all who gave encouragement and allowed me to quote them - it was Kaz's turn to get a mention this month!
  • Hi, Viv. Just caught up with this. Sorry to hear you haven't succeeded, but I hope you're going to keep trying for a book deal anyway. It can and usually does take longer than a year, as I'm discovering!
  • Thanks for giving me and Uma a plug, Viv - much appreciated. I did send a note to your personal email address, hopefully you got my message.

Best, Kaz
  • Hi Viv didn't know you were on here.
    Hope you all the success in the future with your book Losing Lucy or any new novel you write.
    I love your articles I hope you are going to write more articles in the future, I ahvn't finished my first novel yet so I'm not at the same place you are, however I found you're article interesting, I'm hoping to be in the position to send a manuscript off one day although it may be a long way off.

This is only my opinion but you said in your last article in Writers' Forum that you could send Losing Lucy to every person in the book, can you do this and work on another novel?

Good Luck!

Miss your column:(
  • Hi Jenwales. You can send to as many agents as you like, but normally it's best to only target a few at a time. It's expensive on postage apart from anything else. You also need to target it well - ie read every agency entry in the yearbooks and only send to those you know accept your kind of book and are willing to take unsolicited manuscripts. Some specifically say they are keen to nurture new talent, so pick those first! I also chose to send only to London agents I would be able to visit in person if I got lucky. I didn't see how I could work with an agent in Scotland say. Make your own choices! Some agents insist that they have sole or first chance to look at your work, or that you do not send to others at the same time. Just read each one's requirements and try not to upset them. Starting with ones who take email subs will save you money, and in any case it's worth looking at all agents' websites before you make a decision. Good luck.
  • How strange to see someone else taking over my Book Deal or Bust column in January's Writers Forum!
    I gave it up after a year because I didn't get a publshing deal for my novel after approaching lots of agents, publishers and competitions, and it seemed there was little else I could say or do to keep the column fresh.
    Now the editor is doing it all again with another hopeful novelist called Hazell Evans, starting with the opening of her novel in progress. I wonder if she will have better luck than me, or have anything different to add?
    There are a couple of nice complimentary and sympathetic letters about my quest on their letters pages this month too, including a brief mention of our Kaz.
  • Yes, saw those. Great that you obviously struck a chord with those readers.