Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Amazon and Penguin launch second Breakthrough Novel Award next year

edited November 2008 in - Reading
Will any TB's be entering their unpublished novel manuscripts?

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/70823-amazon-and-penguin-launch-second-prize.html

Comments

• Thanks for that, Carol. I hadn't seen it, but, as one not to let any opportunity pass by (or so I like to think) I'll definitely be giving it a whirl.

Best, Kaz
  • edited November 2008
    My book won't be ready in time.

I'm a little concerned that the shortlist is being compiled by Amazon alone, and only the shortlist will get seen by editors.

Why only six days to enter? Why only 10,000 entries? And I definitely don't like the idea of Amazon customers voting for a final winner, the farce over reviews on YWO springs to my mind, what is stopping an author getting their online friends to give their authors top reviews, and give crap ones to the competition.
  • edited November 2008
    looks like they learned a few things last year if they're only allowing six days for upload. It was a long drawn out three months last year. And I think there were only 5000 entries allowed last year so 10000 is better. the voting was controversial and those things did happen with people who were popular getting more votes because of the author not the book - but then that happens in the world of authors anyway doesn't it?
  • Same think happened with a short story competition I entered and a photo comp that my wife entered. The winners were clearly those that had lots of online friends. Seen the same thing myself on a 3d graphic forum I go to every now and then, someone actually posted, "please go to this link and vote for me"... Not "go take a look and vote for me if you think I am worth it...."

But then normal comps are fraught with all sorts of underhanded behaviour. I remember being a judge for a short story comp, very small local affair that attracted many writers from outside the area. During the judging session (four people, bottle of wine, candles, you get the picture) we came under very specific pressure (which we resisted) to include a local writer, any local writer, just so the comp would not be dominated by outside (better) writers.

The whole concept of comps are corrupt. Judges chose stories they are morally in agreement with, as opposed to ones that disagree with their own personal politics and/or life experiences. Its part of being human. Nothing can be done.
  • I would rather be in a popularity contest with agents and editors! YWO proved one thing, 95% of the reviewers didn't know how to critique properly.

Call me a snob, but I want an editor to tell me my book has some merit first.
  • You're a snob!
  • Nothing wrong with that type of snobbishness. :)
  • isnt it called standards? :)

I'm not sure i'm mentally upto a public beating like that, but it is quite tempting though.
  • Amanda, would entering the comp be a useful learning experience?
  • stan, that is a good question. I'm not sure that it would necessarily be helpful (other than making me finish something!).
  • I'm good at starting things but not so good at finishing them!
  • not a gemini are you stan? that's what my mum blames it on! i'm a terrible flitter....
  • I've no idea about stars etc. I was born in late September. Lack of self-discipline is partly to blame.
  • me neither but my mum had to blame something! i have absolutely no self control! there was an incident once with a large bottle of wine, and karaoke. The scars are still felt today by the many.
  • Amanda!

I meant to click on another site for some serious research and somehow clicked on this - am I am addict?
  • I was targeting having a finished manuscript to send out by 1st march - I might just work a bit harder and go for this.
  • Strictly Come Dancing, anyone?
  • Just received a email today to say my entry has gone through to round two.

Gets some cool editorial reviews, which you can read here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/B001UG3CM6/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

Not sure what happens now...
  • Excellent news, RG.
    Well done.
  • Well done RG
  • Thanks guys, I've also started a thread here:

http://www.writersnews.co.uk/writers_talkback/comments.php?DiscussionID=113532&page=1#Item_35

To keep track of what's happening with my entry... If anything!