Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Mother sues daughter over 'misery lit' memoir

edited November 2008 in - Reading
It has finally reached the UK...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5174790.ece

Comments

• This is sad.
  • It is very sad if a Barrister has fictionalised her life, if true she should be de-barred.

But for one, if this means that publishers will think twice before publishing these books, then I am glad.
  • But what if much of it is true?
  • Then the Barrister should be taking legal action against her mother (rather than publishing a book?)
  • Exactly my thoughts Carol. How very sad that a relationship sours so much that someone feels the need to publish their account.

The truth is almost irrelevant. The relationship is broken, whatever happened.
  • edited November 2008
    Exactly.
    IF what is alleged in this type of book is true, any parent involved in such a case is hardly going to admit it is true, they will deny it. The 'accused' has to prove it is true.
    And because other such books have been shown to be fictitious or exaggerations, it doesn't mean that every such book is.

Rapists and Abusers don't carry out crimes in front of independent witnesses- so it will always be a case of one side against the other.
  • Our whole legal system is based on innocent until proven guilty - the Barrister should have known better than write and publish something she couldn't prove.

How many people suffer worse abuse but never feel the inclination to publish it, but just get on with their lives? I question the motive behind the original book, after all she is already a successful career woman. Why wallow in the past?
  • True, but how many people on the surface seem successful and happy, but inside, or in private are an emotional mess.
  • Slander - and she should know!
  • [quote=Carol]how many people on the surface seem successful and happy, but inside, or in private are an emotional mess.[/quote]

Too many.

Anger and revenge are so powerful. They cloud the judgment of many.
  • What good was there ever in writing a 'misery memoir'? I was disgusted to see that in the run up to Christmas, a boxset of misery memoirs has been released.
    What will they advertise that as? "All you need to become a Scrooge."
  • My thoughts exactly Tessadragon!

She's obviously worked hard to get where she is, now her professional reputation lies in tatters.
  • Maybe some people enjoy reading them just so they can feel better about their own lives?
  • There's another place for misery memoirs...misery magazines, and diaries. Or the fire.
  • Misery memoirs should remain private. Purge those demons, but as Tessadragon says, burn them.
  • i hate misery books (fact or fiction).

It does go to show that you must be careful of facts in your writing and unless you can provide evidence then steer clear. You would have thought a barrister should have known that.
  • I believe the barrister wrote her book originally before she was highly qualified, in order to prove her mother and teachers wrong when they always told her she would amount to nothing and that she was worthless. I only read extracts from the book in either the Daily Mail or the Mail on Sunday a long time ago. It rang true at the time, but who knows.
  • Seems foolish more than anything else if that was the motive.
  • It seems strange that someone who is part of our legal system chose not use it.

Writing the book may have helped her, but it sends out the wrong signal to other victims. If a barrister can't find justice, who can?