Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Goals for 2009

edited November 2008 in - Reading
What are your writing goals for 2009?

Comments

• 1. Getting a first at University.

2. Entering my novel for the CWA Debut Dagger.
  • To be more productive and focused, to enjoy what I write - and hope others enjoy it enough to pay me for it.
  • To reawaken my enthusiasm for writing.
  • Jenny, that sounds sad! Get the duke's book into print, get Henry's book finished by the deadline given, get the third book done by November, get the fourth book (half written) back on the go, King Charles permitting, of course ... it was he who backed off to let Henry come forward for his book, not me sending him away.
  • I know what Jenny means!

I'm quitting my job a week before christmas (sounds nuts doesn't it?) but I've decided I'm only going to work in a job that I want to, not because I have to. So I'll work my summers at Blairdrummond and concentrate on my degree over the winter.
  • I hate goals....does that make me a negative person, or someone who can't be bothered ? Just that you can become very disillusioned if you have goals for everything. (am writing a thread on this so you may ignore this comment !) ;)
  • As a Capricorn I like goals!
    My goal next year is to get a publishing deal for my children's book and it would be nice to make some money, any money, from my writing.
    I'm also considering doing the next WM poetry course.
  • Get on with the novel, and aim to get at least one story accepted by a magazine.
  • Edit Nano, get a few more stories published, enter a few more competitions, enjoy my writing:)
  • Finish my Short Story course - taking far too long to do assignments
    Win a short story competition
    Get another few stories published
    Edit Nano
    Make notes for the next Nano
    Get some sort of order to my writing space
    And most importantly, enjoy my writing and just be relaxed about the outcomes (something I picked up from 108 blessings by the Barefoot Doctor)
  • Ooh! I love the Barefoot Doctor. When I was clinically depressed, his books helped me a lot.
  • At the moment I have one definite goal: 1. Keep getting up early to write.
    For the past week and a bit, I've been getting up at quarter to six and writing a few lines in my notebook. I'm feeling really good about that.
    Other possible goals, get some poems published, play around with the idea of writing a short crime story.
  • I have just one overrriding goal for 2009 and that is to achieve a mainstream publishing contract for my novel. I have loads of little goals but that is the big one. I shall start editing in two weeks time and hope to have it in shape to send out by around March. I have never believed in something I've written quite as much as this. I just need to find an agent and publisher who feel the same way!
  • Keep breathing
  • Get the first draft of my book by October 2009 ready for editing.
    Keep in touch with TB.
    Stay positive.
  • Good question Jay.
    Simple answer: get published!
  • My goal is to at least come reasonably close to hitting my deadlines.

I was going to set myself the goal of stopping procrastinating, but I've decided I'll tackle that in 2010 instead.
  • To put pen or pencil to paper once a day and to put myself higher on my priorities list. That way I might actually acheive something this year.
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]What are your writing goals for 2009? [/quote]

Number one is: to make a list of my writing goals for 2009 :)
  • dora - have you finished writing that list of goals yet?
  • I'm just off to write it now.
  • You said 13 hrs ago that you going to write a list and you still haven't! You are obviously too busy writing your novel.
  • KJKJ
    edited December 2008
    My goal for 2009? To be happy!

I intend to have my next kids' forensics novel ready for print by mid-year, along with poetry and short story collections.
  • 1 - Finish the first draft of my book
    2 - Get a teaching job

After that? Who knows. One step at a time.
  • My goals are to think of some good goals.
  • :)
    Try a small one that you know you can do and go from there- the fish in the small pond idea.
  • 1. Enter the Northern Writers Award with my Young Adult novel.
    2. Complete my poetry collection.
    3. Do my damned best at University.
    4. Maintain my self motivation, disipline, willingness to take risks and accept that the workflow of my published work wont always be flowing.
    5. Complete and have a radio play accepted.
  • Write soemthing and send it to a competion at least once a month
  • To stop procrastinating and get on with my writing, sign up for a course of some sort, to enter more competitions.
    Then there's the usual ones...lose weight, be more organised, be tidier, be healthier, stop smoking etc (they are the same ones I make and break every year)
  • Found two other competitions to enter:

The Betty Trask Award
    McKitteric Prize

Oh, and bite the bullet and join a writers group (either Stirling one or the University one - although I've been told they are both run by the creative writing tutor at Uni, who is lovely).

Give myself a kick up the a** and work harder than I did last semester!
  • Stirling,
    Tried doing a search on the McKitteric Prize, but got nothing.
    Would you kindly enlighten me?
  • 1.Write write write
    2. learn to drive
    3. lose weight
    4.try and save
    5. be happy!!!
  • My goal is to finish the first draft of my novel, and hopefully edit it while we're still in 2009, and send the first three chapters off to agents.
  • I just go find the info on The Society of Authors website.
  • Writing goals for 2009

1. Get my non-fiction Travel Book off the ground and perhaps even have it ready for submission by the end of 2009
    2. Win the BBC Wildlife Mag Travel Writing Comp instead of getting short-listed (again)
    3. Continue getting travel articles published when/where possible
  • Col B - it's actually the McKITTERICK prize and I think you have to be over 40 to be eligible!
  • * Finish the second book in my 5-8 year olds series
    * Finish 5-8 stand alone
    * Complete amendments to final draft of 8-12 novel
    * Make rough plan and begin next 8-12 novel
    * Get acceptance for the 4 books with publishers - if not, keeping sending them out and don't get discouraged
    * Um... do I have to? OK... I should keep on top of the housework. There. I've said it. Happy now?
  • To be, to write, to enjoy writing. :-)
  • Patrick & Stirling (sounds like a new celtic detective duo...sorry!).
    Just had a good nosey and deadline's too soon, but next year looks promising.
    Cheers.
  • You found it then! (lost my internet connection - sorry)

Here's the Society of Author's link anyway:
    http://www.societyofauthors.org/prizes-grants-and-awards/prizes-for-fiction-and-non-fiction/