Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

'Ignorant' students flood author with essay requests

edited November 2008 in - Reading
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/secondaryeducation/3533667/Ignorant-students-flood-author-with-essay-requests.html

If this is true then there are some really stupid students out there!

Comments

• How on earth do they get to that age without either manners or the ability to accept that learning involves them doing the work?
  • I sincerely hope that none of my books ends up on the reading lists!

I dont think i should comment any further on this as it might be rude! ;)
  • Having taught secondary children for 9 of the past 13 years, and having encountered the low standard of English of most students on my course (with A level English), at university when I was a student from 1991 (as a mature student of 40), I am not really surprised.
  • Not only students though - teachers as well!
  • Yes, what has happened to education in this country?
  • I now understand why my son's English Teacher said she was looking forward to teaching him English A'Level (many years into the future yet)- he can read any number of books when requested to do so, can discuss them and provide answers as to why etc.

It makes you wonder why the powers that be let the teaching system decline so much over the past thirty years.
    (No reflection on any teachers here- you are obviously the best!)
  • edited November 2008
    The plain simple truth is that it has been dumbed down and dumbed down to give the impression that standards are rising, when in actual fact they are falling faster than Britains' economic situation is worsening. As some one who has done GCEs in 1967, Gcse in 1991 and taught Gcse from 1997 to 2004 I have seen the differnece in standards in my own subject. The level of French required to Pass GCSE now is approx equivalent to what I had learnt by the end of what would now be Year 7, back in 1963
  • anyone writes and asks me about history when my books get out there will be told to find out the information the way I did, from the author ...
  • "One wrote: "I`m stuck with teaching your book and I need some pointers as I haven't done this sort of stuff before... help me out here."

Well you shouldn't be teaching then!

I've never heard any comments like that at Stirling (then again I'm in a seminar group where no-one else talks - so they could be think George Eliot is a he for all I know!)

I was discussing this with my History teacher (and he agrees), the exams aren't getting easier and the kids aren't getting better. The teachers have learned how to work the system and 'train' the kids. I experienced that in A level Biology 'they won't ask you about the structure of the HIV virus.' . . .

Guess what as the question with the highest marks in the exam . . .
  • Stirling, that situation has been replayed many a time! I've had that in the 80's when i did my exams and now i am seeing the same thing with my daughter.

We were given a drilling on what we would and wouldnt need for the exams and without fail all the things we were told we wouldnt need to know were the questions in the exams! needless to say its lucky i knew what 'a shaduf' was!
  • well today at a hockey club in london (won't mention which one!) there was a sign that said "Please take your shoes off but not your sock's!" !!!

another reason why i am so annoyed at having to do an access course to get into uni when my South African qualifications seem to be much better than what is getting taught up here! Some of the questions we hear in our Lit class are just ridiculous... anyway... when i have kids, if this system is still in use, i will be home schooling my kids... !
  • If I'm in the of position I would love to home school my kids. Or at least get them a private education.
  • edited November 2008
    I'm not surprised. I feel sorry for the students though, especially if they should find their other half to be smarter. Having been subject to the ultimate humiliation of having to learn 'GNVQ Science' instead of GCSE Science, I left school perhaps dumber than I first started in that area, indeed the sixth form colleges sometimes refused to accept students from our school who'd done GNVQ science onto the A Level Science course.
    Having also read some of the work submitted to the literary agency where I did work experience...well, when it came to the standards in spelling, grammar, punctuation and general usage of the English language, people whose native language was not English, had better control than the Brits.
    I also find that I have had to bite my tongue almost every day in class for the last four years because I have a better knowledge of spelling, grammar and punctuation than my lecturers, and it infuriates me somewhat to have to interpret their writing.
    The reason I hold a good standard though is because I had English teachers that gave a damn. Hardy made us do spelling tests every week, she gave us a list of words and told us to find out their meanings. Sometimes they were English, sometimes they weren't. She grilled us on Shakespeare and World War 2 poetry. Watkinson was sharp on making sure we knew how to spell our words, he ran games on spellings and meanings, like the 'Call My Bluff' where we had to try and convince our classmates that there was a different meaning to a word that he assigned us. They ran a charity event of a Sponsored Spelling Test, 35 words for the lower sets, 70 for the higher sets. And of course Brogden was brilliant, she read out half a story to us then challenged us to write the end, and she encouraged creativity in study.
    I hold the greatest pity for the children though. When they're younger, they do want to learn. They welcome explanations and they welcome personal help in going through their work, having someone explain to them.
  • My son asked a question in science. The teacher's answer was, "You don't need to know that. It's not in the SATs."
  • It's not only SATs they're taking either. Mock SATs a few months before, and at the moment... wait for it... mock mock SATs!
  • I'm glad Year 6 SAT's are being got rid off. My kids spent most of that last year studying to pass the SAT's, and as the school had gone down in the rankings the previous year, they spent at least three months doing past papers and such.
    That isn't learning.

Our writers club has a website, and we have a contact form for people to contact us with queries, or to contact members who they might want to ask to speak.
    I received one today from someone who hoped I could provide a list of magazines, blogs, competitions, an e-zines so they could send off their poetry to them. Their brief message contained two very obvious spelling mistakes.
    They had no interest in the club, they just couldn't or didn't want to do the work themselves.
  • mock mock SATs???????????????????

right o, so that's their school year:

September: Mock mock mock mock mock mock mock mock mock SATs
    October: Mock mock mock mock mock mock mock mock SATs
    November: Mock mock mock mock mock mock mock SATs
    December: Mock mock mock mock mock mock SATs
    January: Mock mock mock mock mock SATs
    February: Mock mock mock mock SATs
    March: Mock mock mock SATs
    April: Mock mock SATs
    May: Mock SATs
    June: SATs
  • nice one, Tessa! :D
  • i found something interesting when we moved from my home town for two years...i moved to a very afrikaans area and they knew their english was not as good as it could be so they studied harder and gave us more complicated stuff than what i had had in my home town where english was definately the first language- they thought they knew it so why go in depth in it... i think its like that anyway...you think you know something so why bother teaching or learning it...
  • Tessa you have no idea how true that is at my kids school. I will be glad when my youngest leaves.
  • edited November 2008
    Yikes....I am glad that my kids will likely be educated in an American school then...they definitely seem to care about challenging the kids, if Mike's academic experience is any indication. Though wherever my kids would be educated, I'd be determined to keep encouraging them...I love the idea of reading stories to them when they're little, and teaching them to write, etc.
    And I'm glad my own education was memorable...I may not be able to deal with measurements past using the kitchen scales and a ruler, but at least I know what to do when the bike sheds catch fire, understand how to make crop circles (secondary school), how to rescue hedgehogs in winter, how to self-diagnose a broken leg (junior school), how to deal with getting knocked by a car, etc. So I'm good. ;)
  • Useful life skills are equally important, and that is what is lacking in many schools.
    I was in primary school in the sixties- and just like the SATs now, the aim was to pass your 11+. Once you got to senior school it was to teach you, and hopefully you would be interested enough to go beyond that bit they covered and learn more, perhaps in a more practical way.
  • I have to say though that ninety percent of what I learned at secondary school I think I promptly forgot and havent needed since.
  • edited November 2008
    [quote=Stirling]the exams aren't getting easier and the kids aren't getting better.[/quote]

I'm afraid Stirling, that from personal experience, both taking and teaching the exams, I can verify that they ARE getting easier. They are so formulaic now and anyone can get a good grade with a lucky guess in several subject areas. There are so many multichoice questions with tick boxes in GCSEs. A levels (of which I have taken 5 since 1991, 4 of them together), are also easier than they were. For a start they are not as long. We had 3 hour exams, and often 2 or 3 papers in each subject in the 60s and they would entail several extended pieces of writing, without, in the case of English, the set books to refer to. In language exams answers had to be in the foreign language and again you were required to produce extended pieces of writing. One alteration to the exams is that they are now positively marked, rather than negatively. i.e. you are given credit for any correct part of an answer. Previously, if you had made an incorrect part of an answer you would lose marks, and this included grammar and spelling.
  • That's the problem, they're formulaic and teachers can predict questions. Then they get to undergraduate and they can't do it. The last time I did multiple choice when I was fifteen. That's the problem with the arts, all essay based . . .
  • You wait. In about 20 years, all our current schoolaged kids are going to be looking at THEIR children's schools ... and saying the same things!
  • And wondering why they can't read them?