Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

AA (Adjectives Anonymous) For Writers

edited June 2009 in - Reading
Hi, my name is Stirling and I'm addicted to adjectives . . .

Seriously (there is another one!), I was writing tonight and I used bits of an old edit which were riddled with adjectives and adverbs. Sheesh!

Comments

• They creep in every where- little creeps...;)
  • Get thee to a nunnery!

Actually, we all find they creep into our writing when we least expect it, and sometimes they are necessary. My older stuff is full of them.
  • Yeah, the draft is a few year old (pre-dates University.) I have since discovered the joys of pared down writing.
  • Hmm, I looked at an old feature I wrote a few years ago for a catalogue, and it is embarassing. Fell into the 'I know big words so I must be h'an eddicated writer' trap. <cringes>
  • AA (Adjectives Anonymous) For Writers is a really, really, really good idea that I am very likely to fully take advantage of.
  • My problem's commas :( i look at my first drafts and am horrified how much i used the ,
  • Hey, TD, the writer I've just burned through (five novels in a week - packed it in now) hardly uses any! The result is rather breathless (in a panting, 'I've got a stitch' way, rather than a pleasantly ethereal way).
  • My readers would have asphyxiated from drawing in too much oxygen reading my sentences :P
  • I have the comma problem too.
  • I'm still learning so...mine is most probably littered with all the wrong stuff.
  • I'm trying not to use too many commas, but now I'm worried I'm overdoing the semi colons. ;)
  • I'm developing a touch of semi-colonitis too (I'm on a roll okay?)
  • We have an endoscopy suite here that could look into that for you, Stirling!