Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

A tiny thing, but still so pleased.

edited February 2010 in - Writing Tales
Today, aside from being my birthday, was D-Day for me.
Reading my six hundred and some word story poem thingy to a class of thirty children no older than five. I am told these are the worst critics!

They joined in, they were captivated, I was so nervous. The kids loved it and sat so very still, the school has asked me back to read to older children!

I'm stunned, shocked, and so very pleased and I am going out to celebrate.
What a lovely lovely birthday present.
Tomorrow the hunt for the agent begins...

Comments

• LizLiz
    edited February 2010
    Well done!

I don't think you have a chance of getting an agent without more than a short story and a poem under your belt though. Short stories don't sell, and you need to show you have great promise before they'll even look at you, including, unless maybe you have written a genius novel, ideas for further stories in the same genre.

Oh, and happy birthday!
  • Well done, SL. So nice to have your work appreciated by its intended audience.

You're on your way!
  • Well done and a very happy birthday to you.
  • Well done, and a very Happy Birthday SL. :)
  • A stern audience indeed. Well done.
  • Oh my. Well done! I couldn't read to children. You must be the bravest talkbacker in the world!
  • Happy birthday! Glad the story telling went well.
  • Well done and Happy Birthday!
  • Happy birthday - late I know - and well done with reading the poem.
  • Belated happy birthday - the reading must have been a wonderful experience for you - well done
  • It sounds like you had a Happy Birthday, SL, and with children too. Your own party. It's great to see youngsters enjoying what you've written - I'm able to read regularly to 11-16-year-olds - and guess what, StF, they're a model audience and love being read to.
  • 11-16 year olds Dwight? I've never tried them...
  • Well done, hun! And happy (belated) birthday. What a wonderful way to spend it, captivating children with your own words!
  • Yes, Liz. I'd say any Head of English in a secondary school would love to have a writer visiting a class to do a reading with a bit of discussion or Q and A. (As long as they were CRB checked!) Getting used to being in the classroom should make a YA or children's author a better proposition for an agent or editor too. I was reading about William Golding recently and how he used to write "Lord of the Flies" in class, and read different drafts to his classes to guage the effect. I do it a bit more directly and tell the pupils beforehand that I need their help and ciriticism, and then ask them where I lost them, which parts were slow and if I could have used better teen-speak (really helpful, that bit). They can be very useful editors.
  • I am CRB checked, had to be for the exhibition. Although actually you don't need to be if you only make occasional visits.

I think for poetry it's a bit different, I'm always reading teenage poets saying that they are a very critical audience.
  • Well done, SilverLinings. I'd hardly call it a "tiny thing" though - it sounds like quite an achievement!
  • Belated Happy Birthday and congratulations on the reading! :)
  • Hope all your birthdays have similar, or greater success' But reading poetry to kids, that's got to be scary.
  • Good one! Well done
  • Congratluations, SL. Marvellous news.
  • Excellent, Silver. What a brave person you are!
  • so where are you, SL? (last active 8th Feb) hope you're all right.