Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Where and when do you write?

edited August 2010 in - Writing Tales
Hi everyone,

I've just finished planning a short story in which an old lady has a disused railway coach she writes in. It's her own personal writing room. She writes all morning till about midday and then spends the rest of the day on doing jobs and shopping...

In every issue of WM they have an interview of an Author who has a different writing routine. Do you have a set routine? Do you have your own writing room or writing place?

:-)

Comments

• sometimes i write in wetherspoons on the days when i drive dad to work, or else i work in the library (library's harder because they don't put tables close enough to the plug points and anyway, wetherspoons has internet). Otherwise i use the lounge like i am right now, or else my bedroom if it's tidy and not too hot as it gets very hot up there in the summer. At one desperate point I ended up in the spare bedroom. A dedicated writing room would be wonderful but unlikely.
  • there's a couple of threads on this, ST, if you want loads of reading, but meantime,
    I have my own dedicated office. It's hung with moons, has blue and gold walls, blue and other coloured moons on the gold walls and silver and gold moons on the dark blue wall. Crowded with books, etc. that is my sanctuary and my workplace. I claim the use of the room on my tax return.
  • I write on my laptop on the dining room table. I usually write in the afternoons or evenings I can't settle to it in the mornings.
  • In my studio - sounds posh but its just our back room that I have finally taken over. Going to give it a coat of paint shortly and get rid of what remains of the kids stuff that they don't use.
  • In my sofa - preferably in the corner. Nice and comfy :-)
  • I write more when I'm awat from the TV and computer (too many distractions)
    I use the back room mostly, with the doors open to let in fresh air :)
  • In the livingroom- my desk is against the wall where the fireplace used to be. I'm a morning person where writing is concerned.
  • Work office and home office for actual writing. Lucky enough to have a spare double bedroom at home for my writing room; with a 3m desk, that I just use a tiny corner of :P

Anywhere and everywhere in notebooks for scribbling and ideas. Bbus, train, park bench...wherever.
  • As I say in my Bio: I write when I can, wherever I can. Having said that, if I write underneath my bed, I tend to write really emotional stuff. It's where my poems I'm Just A Girl and Dead Girl Walking were written.

Otherwise I write at school, on the sofa, in my room, out and about, anywhere. As for when, when I can be bothered and when the muse hits me.
  • I have a spare bedroom at home where I have a desk, but need to do some tidying at some point, got piles and piles of paper, and writing magazines. I quite like seeing piles of paper, but it's taking over my desk. :-) I can write in there, or sometimes I write a bit at work when I'm not busy. I try to write in the lounge when my partner has the TV on, it depends if I am at an exciting bit of my novel - if I am, I can be totally absorbed in my writing even with the TV on. In the summer when it's too hot to write upstairs, I write at the dining room table.
  • Today, I'm writing on the end of Holyhead breakwater.
  • I have an office upstairs which is where I write. I write in no other place but there (with the exception of scribbling notes and thoughts etc at work or when on vacation).

I write when I get home from work and do so until about 1am during weekdays, and I work from 1pm onwards until late morning at weekends, and I write until I am finished with piece/chapter/scene, never before and everyone knows not to disturb me when I write.
  • For the past few weekends I have been in the process of sorting out my back bedroom to be a writing / reading room. It is now finally taking shape with only a couple of piles of junk I need to sort out. Needless to say, ever since it's been up and running, I have been spending a lot of time in here. Before this room was sorted, I used to write downstairs in the living room, or in my bedroom, but it's so nice to have a room I can shut the door to.

I tend to write in the evenings due to working in the day, but at the weekends it can be whenever... I love that freedom of being able to stay up until the early hours if I so wish, and not being restrained by the usual thoughts of "I really should get to bed soon, I'll be so tired for work in the morning..."
  • I need another extension! ;)