Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

It's an addiction

ZoeZoe
edited May 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• I joined this forum last week and as yet haven't really contributed anything. I have checked out what's been going on here almost every evening but have found that I've had to drag myself away after reading only a thread or two. The reason for this is that I could quite easily give over the very limited time I have for writing to reading what's been going on here.
    This place is seriously addictive and as I intend becoming more involved in what's going on I'm wondering how I'm going to cope.
  • by being strict with yourself on how long you spend here, Zoe!  I drop in several times a day, rather than one long session. Works better for me but not everyone can do it, of course.
  • Just hope we didn't manage to scare you away today.
  • I didn't know what to make of it all. It was a bit bizarre as I'm not aware of all the history that is clearly there.
    I'm not easily scared but that's just as well.
  • Oh one of the major characters Zoe, cool name. I agree it can be addictive but fun.
  • Zoe - That sort of thing happens very rarely. Usually this is a very friendly forum!
  • Quite.  If it wasn't for WN, I doubt I'd be on second draft now.  In fact, I doubt I'd have got round to finishing the first.  I like to see the successes others have had, engage in banter and have the support that others on here give so readily.
  • I have a nagging problem, though.  Might have to bu**er off for a while.  2nd draft v. demanding.  Haven't worried about it too much for the last week apart from doing some stuff during daytimes but reckon I've got to drop something.  I don't feel like sticking another thread up about it but just feel I want to keep in touch yet give more time to book, kids, work, selling house and so on.  I think we all accept that sometimes people go off for a bit.
  • Morning Zoe,

"Addictive" is an understatement. Having missed several weeks participation I was treating myself yesterday to catching up.
    I missed my lunch, (failing) to be helpful. So anyone needing to diet, get addicted to Talkback.

Claudia explains us very well, dip in and out as suits, it will be fun to share your words.
  • it really is addictive,as dorothy put it drop in through out the day if possible, its easy to get too much of a good thing as well, so try taking it in managable chunks or you may suffer from talkbackers burn out.
  • Has anybody ever been addicted? Not just to Talkback, I mean, anything?

If so, what was the addiction and how (if successful) did they wean themselves off it?
  • I used to smoke 20 a day. It was hell getting off the dreadful things but I did it, with the aid of Nicotinell and a lot of willpower.
    i can't break the TB addiction, though.
  • I hope you don't!!
  • TB Anonymous. We'll all have to become members and go to meetings ...
    on the other hand we may as well all just stay here and hold the meetings here.
  • that's a good idea, Owl! Who wants to chair the meeting?
  • You're the Senior here, Dorothy, you can have that honour! I can't even take minutes, cos I usually take hours.
    Hello! Hope your head feeling OK today.
  • Oh help, I got volunteered, did I? What if I am too busy ... one problem is my handwriting is SO bad I cannot read it two seconds after I have written it...
    Head today, stuffed pills at lunch time but then the moody broody depressive I live with is having an all out bad day which is in turn affecting me. Of course. Thanks for asking, it is appreciated.
    My guys are out sailing, well, two of them are, the third gets seasick on a yacht ... Guy won't go, says it isn't a 'proper' ship.
    OK, meeting declared open. Anyone got anything to say for themselves, apart from 'I am a TB addict and I admit it.'?
  • This is going to be a long meeting, Dorothy.
    what say we adjourn and just pop in from time to time and see what anyone else has to confess?
    PS, I always secretly rather liked Guy. So I await his story with the hope that he will turn out to be not the terrorist-type he's made out to be. I NEVER liked Bonfire effigies, even when I was a kid, I always felt sorry for them!
  • That's a good idea, we'll do that.
    Guy is shy, fanatical in his beliefs, charming, a perfect gentleman in every way. And he isn't here. I wanted to write this afternoon but he didn't show, perhaps next week we will get going again. I know the books/information are wrong on many aspects of his life and we just found another one where they are totally wrong.
    There is a true story, so horrendous I have never tried to write it, that two boys wanted a penny for the guy so one dressed up and sat in a wheelbarrow with a mask on. They called in at a butchers who had been bothered too many times already. He stormed out with a large knife in his hands muttering about 'dreadful guys' and stabbed the 'effigy.'
  • (Re: the meeting-Now you know why I use a tape recorder to take the minutes. :D)
  • Am I addicted to TB? How about 16167 comments? I suppose it'll be 16168 now!
  • Would make a good story, Dorothy, if filled out a bit.

I get addicted to TB when engaged in a debate on a writing topic. Otherwise I can visit for just a minute, scan the thread titles and leave again. To get on with the work naturally.

But Zoe, welcome to the forum :) .

I used to smoke 30 a day, Dorothy, often more before I got married with family and used to spend hours a day on my own with nothing better to do but slowly kill myself. I managed to stop when a good reason for stopping cropped up. It wasn't a matter of will-power; more a case of it being inconsistent with what I wanted.
  • Zoe left the forum about 2 years ago. This is another old thread which has been revived. Mark Zoe as 'one of the missing in action' unfortunately.

My partner gave up a 100 a day addiction with extreme difficulty. There were times I wished I still smoked but not any more. Not now it is almost an 'unclean!' thing!