Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Best charity shop bargains

BudBud
edited January 2007 in - Reading

Comments

• Philip Pullman. His Dark Materials. All three books in the trilogy. A pound each!

Oh, how lucky I felt.
  • That was a lucky shot!
  • I know. I only went in for a jacket...
  • I got them for a birthday pressie, and I don't like them.
  • Oh wow, fantastic bargain! You lucky thing!
  • Not a book, but I can recommend the greetings' cards in the Cancer Research shops - 99p each, nice designs and good quality card, which you wouldn't expect for the price.  I stock up regularly.  They're mad keen on birthdays in my office and I can't afford the card shop prices... (my local library sells cards now, too - also good value...I'm not sure why they've branched into that area, though).
  • I enjoyed the Dark Materials.
  • Hippo: I also bought a postcard from Oxfam, with the following quote:

"I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is. I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat".

I LOVE Rebecca West, apart from she used to write for the Telegraph. Anyone else read Return Of A Soldier?
  • Ah, but did you get the jacket, Bud?
    I don't know about the others but Oxfam was started as Oxford Famine Relief and did so well during the first year they kept it going. The main Oxfam shop in Nottingham now sells designer labels at over £100 for some items. A rip off. People go to charity shops for a variety of reasons, but I go because I'm skint. If I had that much to spend on clothes, I'd get three pairs of trousers, four tops, shoes, knickers and a bra and probably still have change for a packet of chips on the way home and bus fare!
  • I bought Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way from Amnesty For Books (Amnesty International) in Newcastle four years ago for £1.50.  Having just been in Waterstones and deciding I couldn't afford the £10.99 retail price, it was quite a find.
  • Every time I visit a charity shop I head straight for the book shelves.  I have no interest in the clothing.
    I usually walk out the door with a handful of books in my hand, sold for 20c+ each.  It can be wonderful as last time I went for a round of shopping at charity shops I picked up a magazine that had only just been published and brought it for 10c.  Unbelievable!
    Alana