Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Loved Lines Of Literature

edited October 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Here are a few of my favourite lines of literature ever! Please share others.

"Listen to them, the children of the night. What music they make!" - Bram Stoker Dracula

"I have no profession," said Cecil. "It is another example of my decadence". - EM Forster A Room with a View

When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton. - Lord of the Rings JRR Tolkein

The piglet lived in a very grand house in the middle of a beech tree, and the beech tree was in the middle of a forest and the piglet lived in the middle of the house. Winnie the Pooh AA Milne

Mr and Mrs Dursley....actually, I don't think I need to continue with this one!

Best leave this be, or else I'll be here all night! My own 'best lines' need to be crafted now!
  • Woe fall upon the foolish one! All I've been thinking about since I posted this message are further lines that I adore! It is IMPOSSIBLE I admit, to rate them. Although, here is another...come on,  I coulnd't resist!!

Tink was not all bad: or rather, she was all bad just now, but, on the other hand, sometimes she was all good. Faries have to be one thing or the other because being so small they unfortunatly have room for one feeling at a time. - Peter Pan JM Barrie.
  • To every man upon this earth death cometh soon or late, So what better way to die than facing fearful odds for the ashes of your fathers and the temples o your gods Macaulay
  • Here are a couple of RFD opening lines, Dorothy. See if you know which books they are from. (No peeking mind)

They don't hang people any more.

Two miracles occurred that October, the October of my fifteenth birthday.
  • This is probably a misquote, but it's something along the lines of:
    The woods are dark and green and deep
    And I have promises to keep
    And miles (hours?) to go before I sleep.
    Robert Frost???
  • When Farmer Oak smiled, the corners of his mouth spread till they were within an unimportant distance of his ears, his eyes were reduced to chinks, and diverging wrinkles appeared round them, extending upon his countenance like rays in a rudimentary sketch of the rising sun. 

(para 1, Far From the Madding Crowd - Hardy)
  • I'm going to have to have a long think- nothing comes to mind at the moment!
  • 'Yes, Reader, I married him' I hope I've got that right. It was from Jane Eyre.
  • Is there a 'Yes'?
  • I'm a great Terry Pratchett fan - and I love cats.  What more is there to say?

'I meant,' said Ipslore, bitterly,'what is there in this world that makes living worth while?'
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE. - Terry Pratchett 'Sourcery'
  • I think one of my all time favourites has to be "Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war" (Julius Caesar, Shakespeare, 1601) and

"Hold off, un-hand me, grey-beard loon" (Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Coleridge), which I think is wonderful!
  • Well done, Dorothy. You were right about the second of the RFD first lines. The first was from Come Home Charlie, and Face Them.

I love this J M Barrie line from Peter Pan:
    'How do you get to Neverland?' Wendy Asked.
    'Second Star to the right, and straight on till morning.'
  • Oh, I have to agree! I adore that line too from Peter Pan. Wonderful! Really glad to see people have been posting! (:
  • I'm not a great one for poetry, but I do like 19th Century narrative poetry.
    Keats. 'Isabella or The Pot of Basil', 'so the two brothers and their murder'd man'- this is a line I've always remembered.
  • Megrose, if you love cats and Terry Pratchett do you recall that wonderful pece from Wierd Sisters;  Nanny Ogg's cat finds Dracula in his Bat form and does what? eats him of course and makes the wonderful comment "Never mind the wings, a mouse is a mouse"
  • Can I add a favourite book title, please - i.e. "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"!!
  • Well, if we're talking about Weird Sisters. how about:
    A sailor's wife had chestnuts in her lap and munched and munched and munched,
    "Give me" quoth I,
    "Adroit thee witch" the rumpfed runyon cries...