Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Books that are written in first person,present tense

edited August 2006 in - Reading

Comments

• Of all the novels I have read that use a first person narrative, they are written in the past tense. Whilst these books have been both entertaining and helpful towards my own writing, I am looking for some books that use a first person, present tense narrative.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few titles? I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Schumi.
  • If you like chic-lit you could try Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic books.  I'm fairly sure they're present tense.
  • You could try I DON'T KNOW HOW SHE DOES IT by Allison Pearson. It had a huge amount of piblicity when it came out in 2002, as it details the life of a career mother trying to do it all. Written first person and present tense, in a sort of diary format.
  • A children's book, but try Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume.  If I recall, that's all in first person present tense.
  • TALKING TO THE DEAD - Helen Dunmore
  • I enjoyed "I Don't Know How She Does It" too.  I'd forgotten that one fits your criteria.
  • 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Neffenegger is 1st person present tense, although she switches between 2 viewpoints.  I think she manages to pull off this trick because the 2 characters are both very distinctive.
  • I've just started reading 'Crazy Love' by Tom Lennon. It's definitely present tense so far, but I'm not sure whether you'd call it first person. It's written as 'you', but it's more like someone's speaking to themselves so it comes across as 'I'. There doesn't seem to be an 'I' person involved yet, anyway. Would you say it's second person in view of the use of 'you'?
  • Anything by J.P. Donleavy.
  • Yes all that is fine, but have you tried writing a first-person, present-tense book... and keep it going for 80,000 words?  I'm exhausted by the end of 50,000.