Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Who's In August 2017's Writing Magazines?

edited June 2017 in - WM and WN
Who's in August 2017's magazine? The magazines probably won’t be in the shops until 6th July so DON’T EXPECT THEM UNTIL THEN.

If you spot yourself, please let us know which magazine and WHICH PAGE; and the name the article appears under if it differs from your Talkback name. If you spot someone else, PLEASE LET THEM post the details here.

Comments

• Mine has arrived. :)
  • edited July 2017
    Mine has arrived this morning.

• Mine arrived this morning. Going to sit in the garden and have a read of it.
  • Mine arrived this morning.
  • I haven't spotted any tbers yet. :(
  • I have my fingers crossed for my latest pitch, but it won't be in this months :P
  • Have only just bought July copy this week.

It has a free paperback book with it.
  • what book?
  • It was 'free' with copies bought in shops, not subscriber copies.
  • That was one of the reasons I felt the need to unsubscribe :(
  • If I could source it locally I'd unsubscribe. I expect the local indie shop would order it in for me. But I do like receiving it in the post. But I don't like it when it's late. I don't know. I do like having a record of the payments for my accounts. I still don't know.

*sighs*
  • Shouldn't the subscribers get the freebies for their loyalty?

Webbo, what do you think?
  • But , what is the book??
  • Don't know.

I only knew it had had one last month because a friend in a Facebook group complained about the price being more than previous issues, and wondered if that meant the book wasn't really 'free'.
  • Yes Webbo what do subscribers get for their loyalty? Late deliveries more often than not!
  • Hear, hear!
  • Ditto.
  • https://www.writers-online.co.uk/store/subscriptions/

Not sure enough of that is sufficent to subscribe.

*wants a book*
  • *wants a book too*
  • edited July 2017
    Oh dear oh dear.

The reason I stopped subscribing was the articles in the mag seemed repetitive albeit by different writers. Saying that, WM is an excellent mag for new writers and those wanting a refresher.

I do think free entry to subscriber only comps is a good thing. Make the most of it subscribers and enter every month.

Also the great thing about receiving yr copy early is you get wind of markets and where to submit work before us non subscribers

Current mag price £5.99. Possibly well over priced. Plus was a book none of ulot need - Teach Yersen How to Craft a Story

See. Grass ain't always bogey greener.
  • edited July 2017
    Dora, we subscribers were getting it the same day or after it was in the shop.

It's improved a little and we've started to get it Wednesday- but not everyone, so there's no real advantage over non-subscribers at the moment.
  • Oh.

But you do get free entry to subscriber only comps.

Plus opportunity to be in members news section.
  • If I want to read the magazine, I have to subscribe.
    As for the book: I know it seems like loyal subscribers lose out, but giving free gifts with shop bought magazines is a common device used to attract new readers. I don't take it personally.
  • edited July 2017
    I follow on with a different train of thought. When I subscribe to a magazine, I expect to receive NO LESS benefit and value for money than would a person buying from a store. I cannot comprehend why a publisher would instruct the distributors, 'Issue a free book to shelf copies, BUT, withhold them from subscribers. This is atrocious treatment. A subscriber is no different than a store consumer; we just make a commitment to a company to get our product by delivery. Why then, should we forfeit some of the enjoyment experienced by fellow readers? I am well on the verge of unsubscribing, but I shall cool down first.
  • We do receive a discount from the 'shelf' price.
  • With the greatest respect, BB, that shouldn't mean we should be expected to sacrifice part of the content! Offering a discount should not be a route to a compromised product.
  • I'm not defending it, PET, just pointing it out. I suspect that will be Webbo's first comment.
  • I fully agree with PET. We loyal subscribers are taken for granted.
  • I'm not intending to duplicate the FB group discussion but in case anyone hasn't seen that, the book isn't free, it's a "premium edition" we're experimenting with in some shops, with the book and mag together for £6. Next month it will be bookless, and back at £4.10.
    Subscribers can get the same deal: the same book, for the difference in price, £2 to cover postage, here: https://www.writers-online.co.uk/store/reader-offers/
    The very thing we're trying to avoid is rewarding non-subscribers ahead of subscribers.
  • I'd wondered if the publisher was testing the price rise in certain locations before a general price rise, but that explains it.

Someone in a another Facebook group last month mentioned the price rise with the book, and wasn't happy.
  • I'm going to say much the same here as I said on the FB thread:
    Writing Magazine is the best writing mag there is. My other interest is dogs. There were two dog newspapers on a weekly basis until a couple of weeks ago. The best of those was Dog World. Sadly, as of a couple of weeks ago it went into administration. It is very difficult to maintain a print title in the face of reducing subscribers and advertisers. We live in a society that (in my opinion is in part due to the internet) want something for nothing. Our writing has been devalued by the amount of illegal sharing, expecting something for free etc. Quality content is worth paying for. Writing Magazine is quality content. What they have done in attempt to boost sales of having a book as part of that is great. It is a good initiative and of good value. It does not devalue our subscription as it is available to us too. Please, if you don't want to see the same happening as has happened in the dog press, then try to understand the economics and be supportive. We need them. They need us. It's a simple as that and it's a two way thing.
  • I agree with you Mutley, we need to support our favourite magazines.
    It's that loyalty and support that has kept many of us as subscribers when we were only getting our copy of the magazine the day it's out in the shops or days after.

Yes, the last two months have been an improvement, subscriber copies have arrived the day before (thank you Webbo), but most magazines manage to get their subscriber copies out at least five days before or longer.

The early delivery of the subscriber copy is not an unreasonable expectation.
  • No, it's not unreasonable. The Radio Times arrives every Tuesday and although I could buy it that day, for a weekly magazine that's fine (it's also much cheaper to have it posted).

If I'm being honest, I wouldn't reaslise it was late if it weren't for it being mentioned on here. But it's the principle!
  • I don't understand the appeal of getting the magazine before it's generally available. If I subscribed, the convenience of not having to go and get a copy from the shops would be the main benefit. The fact that other people had a day or two's head start on reading it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Plenty of the recent subscription offers I've seen would also save a fair bit of money compared to buying it at your local WH Smiths.

In the end, though, I've held off subscribing as I'm indecisive and non-committal and I quite like walking into town to buy my copy. That said, I'll continue to drop hints to my family about a gift subscription nearer the end of the year, although none of them ever listen.

As for free (or not-so-free) books...

Times I've bought a magazine with a cover-mounted book: Several
    Times I've actually got around to reading the cover-mounted book: Zero
  • I'm not in the least bit bothered about getting an early copy either.
  • This is all valuable feedback, thanks. I think what anyone (understandably) finds most frustrating, is when the subscription copy doesn't come by the time it's available at newsstand.