Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Readers Digest Competition

edited October 2010 in - Resources
I was wondering whether anyone had entered the Readers Digest 100 word story competition? The top prize is a whopping £5,000 - not bad for 100 words :-)

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/magazine/179-Reader's-Digest-Main/1382-Web-Exclusives-100-word-story.html

You can submit more than one entry, and the closing date is January 2011!

Comments

• edited October 2010
    "Contributions become world copyright of Vivat Direct Ltd (t/a Reader's Digest)"

Still, if the prize is £5,000, would you worry?
  • Thanks for highlighting this - looks good! I'll happily give away copyright of 100 words for £5000 (or even the £100 book token!)
  • Thanks - yes, it isn't much of a struggle to justify giving away copyright for that fee!

Perhaps if I send one a day, I can bore them into submission...

Seriously though, I haven't had a go at writing anything that short before, so I think I may find it quite challenging to create an interesting story!
  • Thanks, Sagesse, will give this some serious thought!
  • I enjoy flash fiction, so I'll be having a go. Thanks for the info, Sagesse.
  • [quote=Jay Mandal]
    Still, if the prize is £5,000, would you worry? [/quote]
    they can buy me off with five grand, no problem.
  • [quote=Van]I'll happily give away copyright of 100 words for £5000[/quote] You're still giving it away if you don't get a prize. I still thinks it's worth entering though.
  • You have to use your real name not a pseudonym too.
  • Be funny if one's real name was a pseudonym too. Mr J A Pseudonym-Too. ;-)
  • 100 words? That's luxury compared with the Arvon 6 word comp! I'm having a go - thanks Sagesse!
  • And the word count excludes the title - so you could be a bit clever with it.
  • It's roughly half a double spaced page, just to get the idea of length. That's with speech, indents, etc. I just measured it from one of my manuscripts.
  • Interesting challenge - but what a good, inspiring example by Maeve Binchy.
  • I've never had a go at writing a story of 100 words.

Reading some other examples, it looks like the majority of writers put a twist in the tale at the end. Maeve nicked my idea too ;-)
  • You might like to read the

50 Word Story

thread I've upped.
  • Thanks Jay - some really good reads on there. It's amazing how creative you can be with only a handful of words.

I had a good chuckle at your giraffe one!
  • And there's plenty of 200-words-or-under stories on the One Word Challenges.
  • I didn’t like Maeve Binchy’s example, for the reasons below, but it seems RD are happy with it so why not?

Common Plots to Avoid (Take A Break magazine): The heroine/narrator is revealed to be a cat, dog, fox, car, tree . . . or whatever. This is a complete no-no.
  • Our WEA tutor didn't like stories with that sort of twist. Neither did he like those that turned out to be a dream. He said they were a cop-out.
  • [quote=Jenny]Our WEA tutor didn't like stories with that sort of twist. Neither did he like those that turned out to be a dream. He said they were a cop-out. [/quote]

I agree with your tutor, Jenny, the dream is the biggest cop-out of all.
  • All entrants sign away copywright, not just the winner - so beware.
  • The site says "a thrilling story". How do you think they define "thrilling"?
  • By having a cat write the story it seems. Meeow!
  • I clicked on some of the other examples - you have to zoom in - and the rest didn't involve kitties.

There was quite a funny one about mobile phone applications - boys toys type of thing.
  • ^ for anyone who hasn't seen this yet.
  • edited October 2010
    Hi,
    I work for Reader's Digest and just wanted to touch base and say, if you have any questions about the 100 Word Story, feel free to ask them on this forum and I will post the answers.

We're enjoying reading your entries so keep sending them in. We look forward to hearing from you.

readersdigest.co.uk/100wordstory

Good luck,
    Shade
  • Hello Shade, thanks for joining us here.

I would like to know why you (RD) consider it neccesary to take the copyright of all entrants?
    The rules state: "Contributions become world copyright of Vivat Direct Ltd (t/a Reader's Digest)."
  • Do phrases such as 'isn't' or 'he'd' count as two words or one?
  • Hello again.

Carol asked about copyright. If we own the copyright it gives us the flexibility to use stories in the magazine / online / in advertising / on videos, etc. Basically we can be confident of being able to use the stories in any format necessary without having to worry about obtaining permission.

Girl Friday asked about contracted words. The Editor tells me she will be using 'Word's' word count to check whether stories are the correct length. 'Word' counts contracted words such as isn't, I'd, would've etc as one word.

Hope that helps.

Shade
  • edited October 2010
    While I understand you needing the flexibility Shade, RD are still getting free content from writers on the basis of entering a competition where only one person (the winner) will be paid.

I don't want to cause an argument, but such conditions in Terms and Conditions/ Rules of Entry exploit writers. I'm sure you expect to be paid for the job you do.

If a writer chooses to enter and is happy to give up their copyright that is up to them.
    But personally I'm not, so won't enter.
  • I agree with Carol here, Shade. I have been thinking about the competition but the fact my work can be used anywhere in the world without my say-so and without my being paid is not on, not from someone as big as Readers Digest. I 'give' writing away to ezines where I know the people and anthologies where I can see my work, but to think of you using it where you wish ... no way.
  • edited October 2010
    ^
  • edited October 2010
    Shade - will you credit the writers of any stories you use in the various formats - and/or pay them?
  • [quote=Baggy Books]All entrants sign away copywright, not just the winner - so beware. [/quote]

I did try to warn you!
  • I was recalling a time when I wrote to an author to ask if I could use her title 'November's Eyes' from a piece she had in Readers' Digest. She didn't know it was there. She had to chase the company for payment. Not saying I distrust you all completely but there's something not quite right here. And I have this past experience, too! Shade? over to you.
  • thanks for posting this one, another great one to try :)
  • I hate to say this, but I have seen figures of £5000 and £500 I think the former might be a typo!
  • edited October 2010
    Oh dear - it begins to sound less attractive!

Over to you, Shade!
  • [quote=Jenny]Shade - will you credit the writers of any stories you use in the various formats - and/or pay them? [/quote]

Shade - I'd appreciate it if you could clarify the above question?
  • Both parts of the RD site say £5000, and the children's category prizes are £1000 for them and £1000 for their school, so I think it's the £500 that's a typo, Mutley.
  • Still no reply to my question re crediting writers and/or paying them for future use of their stories!
  • Possibly because the answer will be no.
  • Probably!
  • Silence is golden. :)
  • I still don't know whether to send something in or not.

What if they use my entry somewhere to point out how not to write?
  • Everytime I see this post now, I think of shady character!!!
  • [quote=Sagesse]Everytime I see this post now, I think of shady character[/quote]

:)
  • Makes you wonder if "shade" really was from RD doesn't it?
  • I'm entering - I'm rather pleased with my story.