Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Readers Digest Competition

2»

Comments

• looking at it another way, we were asking sensible questions they did not want to answer!
  • Yes, I agree with you on that.
  • I've told my students at The Write Place not to enter this competition. Even a 100 word story has a value and should not be given away - especially when the publisher is making money from it.
  • I think you're right to warn them not to take part, Writebag. RD can't be trusted with writer's work.

I once submitted a joke to them. It was used in the Australian mag's website. I wasn't informed and I wasn't paid - I didn't sub to that publication, but that didn't seem to matter. I did e-mail in to request an explanation and payment but I was ignored.
  • Years ago someone I know submitted a short (bottom of the page) anecdote to them. She received £50 + a copy of the magazine. Times have obviously changed.
  • I'd expected to be paid if my contribution was used. I suppose I would have been if it had appeared in the UK print edition. I'm annoyed they forwarded it on to their sister publication without paying me. I didn't sub it to a non paying 'market' so I don't feel they had the right to use it there.
  • PM you should be on the phone to them now then as your story is today's feature.

http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/magazine/212-Your-RD/1391-Your-Books.html
  • OMG yes, and a photo of our beautiful Patsy
  • PM, you gave up the rights when you entered, so they could do what they wanted with it, and no payment needed.
  • I agree that for the competition I gave up the rights when I submitted (and I supplied the photo they've used) My complaint was about something I subbed to the UK mag that was used without permission or payment on the Australian website.

Thanks for the link, ST. I couldn't navigate my way to it on their site.
  • edited May 2011
    The rules stated

"Contributions become world copyright of Vivat Direct Ltd (t/a Reader's Digest)"

So they can publish it on their website in Australia without reference or payment to you...
    They have honoured your moral rights to be recognised as the author.

Have I missed something PM and you are talking about a different piece entirely?
  • Yes - a different piece. It was sent in long before the competition was announced.
  • edited May 2011
    I know RD always took the copyright of any work they printed- may even have been world copyright again.
    Did you receive a contract? What did it say?
  • edited May 2011
    I didn't recieve a contract. The piece (it was just a joke, but that's not the point) was used without my being informed in any way. I only knew about it because I followed Jay's advice of Googling myself and discovered my joke (credited to me) on the Australian website. I submitted it for potential inclusion in the UK magazine. As far as I know they didn't print it. I didn't submit it to the Australian website. I didn't give my consent for it to be used there. I did write and ask them to pay me (if it had been used in the UK print magazine, then I should have been paid) I was ignored.

It's not a question of them buying all rights. If they'd bought the piece and then re-used it, that would have been OK. They didn't, they just published it somewhere I hadn't submitted it - and not where I had.

The competition was different. I'm not keen on comps grabbing all rights, but at least this was made perfectly clear. I was told my entry would go on the website and they asked me to send in a photo - I'm fine with that.
  • Then that's a different matter PM if they hadn't bought it.
    Was it before or after they had their financial problems and new backers?