Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What's your favourite Christmas food?

2»

Comments

• Just thank our lucky stars, we are not in wartime where they had to ration foodstuffs.
  • Truffle logs from Cooplands are scrummy [it's a bakery like Greggs for those unfortunate enough not to have a Cooplands]

They only have them at Christmas...and my sister likes the meringue snow men that they make...and she always asks for one with a purple scarf even if she is 19!

We usually have beef for dinner on Boxing Day but this year my brother wants us to have goose.
  • I'd never heard of Cooplands but I see they have a web site mmmm looks nice

http://www.cooplands.co.uk/
  • Prawns, oysters, crayfish and cold smoked ham.
  • I've already had a practice run at Christmas dinner as my mother in law and godson came to visit a couple of weekends ago so we invited my mum too.

On Christmas day the starter is my favourite as I always have some form of seafood - salmon mousse, crab claws, lobster, mussels, etc. I got a seafood platter once from Marks on Christmas Eve for half price (if I remember rightly it was still very expensive, but it did Boxing Day dinner as well so I reckoned it was worth it) I'm with Island Girl loving seafood!
    Although I'm not a sweet tooth at all I adore cheese....and wine! My husband would choke if we didn't have a big roast dinner with all the trimmings every Sunday, so the main course is not such a big deal for me. It's the sense of occasion I really like and the fact that we can take a few hours over the meal, chatting and sampling different wines.
  • Following the seafood trend, on Christmas and Boxing Day mornings I always cook us toasted bagels topped with scrambled egg, slivers of smoked salmon and a sprinkling of chopped parsley.

It is sooo tasty and lines the stomach ahead of the festive booze :-)
  • roast parnips and chocolates by the tonne lol
    although i haven't drank for the last few xmas's i have my eye on a few baileys coffee's to help the day along :)
  • Sagesse, I always cook us smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for Christmas Day breakfast too! I might have a weak Buck's Fizz to go with it.

I don't like roasts so the lunch doesn't do much for me. But like Red I do enjoy cheese and crackers and several glasses of Merlot. Can't cope with port anymore.

I also enjoy hot sausage rolls and a Terry's Chocolate Orange - but for some reason I never get one. :(
  • It is a great breakfast, Lily! I saw it in a magazine once, as Nick Nairn said that he always gave that to his family on Christmas Day.
    Often we are lucky and the smoked salmon is half price on Christmas Eve! We are right little bargain hunters when it comes to reduced grub!
  • Ugh I hate smoked salmon. I like Merlot.
  • LOVE Merlot.
  • Oooh, but not as much as a very old port...
  • Merlot's my wine too. Australian or Chilean. I find French wine is expensive if you want a really nice bottle.
  • Bottle of chateauneuf du pape and I shall forgive ye all your sins.
  • RedRed
    edited December 2010
    I've several bottles of that in my collection, Sagesse. Might pop one over Chrimbo.
  • Please do :-)
  • [quote=kateyanne]I love the sprouts,[/quote]
    YUCK!
    All that Vitamin K and stinky water
  • stinky water?
  • Yeah. When you boil sprouts the smell is AWFUL, praps I should've said 'stinky kitchen' instead.
    Can't blame the cmPuta for that one!
  • Hurrah for Lolli. She likes Christmas pud and so do I. I just love it and Christmas cake. Our son has made his first attempt at baking one this year, he says he keeps putting brandy in it, can't wait to taste it.
  • I lIke Christmas cake too, but hardly ever have one now as I end up eating it all - none of my kids like it - they have NO taste - I blame their father! :)
  • 4 me it's bagels and creme cheese with strong coffee for breakfast. Xmas lunch is a big bird that's well stuffed, plump breast and meaty legs. Trimmings consist of a nice bit o tongue with angels on horse back. And to finish you can't beat a good Yule tide log, thick with a creamy centre. If I get to pull a cracker afterwards I take her, I mean this, as a bonus. O'err, folks and Merry Crimbo one and all!!!
  • Gruel ! Humbug ! I hate Christmas !