Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

To wear or not to wear- HAT is the question

edited April 2011 in Off-topic
Is a stepmother of the bride expected to wear a haughty hat or a flashy fascinator? Or should she fade into the background?

Comments

• definitely NOT fade into the background! Something striking, says me!
  • Whatever suits you. :)
  • Or whatever suits the suit!
  • edited April 2011
    How about this one ..

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.essexweddingservices.com/Images/hats_small.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.essexweddingservices.com/essex-wedding-hats/&usg=__A1PnnX4FKh7Rn_S-K09Slk2m6GM=&h=199&w=300&sz=48&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=4JNKooBeb39EEM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=171&ei=jEO3TfncH4mb8QOsmZQe&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dladies%2Bhats%2Bfor%2Bweddings%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1T4GGLG_enGB311GB311%26biw%3D991%26bih%3D507%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=156&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&tx=92&ty=72
  • thank you all.
    yes dorothy the 'real' me would say ha ha and buy the biggest hat i could find (and preferably poke out someones eye with it!!!) but being a well behaved peace maker type I tend to take on the role of grown-up in the face of other peoples family feuds. I want to do my partner (father of the bride) proud as its his Big Day too and I get on fine with my stepdaughter and her groom and want to make an effort for them. However, I know from experience that I will get plenty of abuse from the brides mother whatever I do. (The groom has given instructions to two of his bouncer friends to watch her for any sign of trouble). I'm not really a hat person but suppose I should take my credit and not be just another guest. Oh dilemma! I should really like to be invisible for the day but I know that's such a feeble copout! Thanks for your comments, I'm sure I shall have the most WUNNERFUL time...:D
  • edited April 2011
    I was in this role last year, Doodley, and opted for the low-key fascinator! I was told I had to wear blue (which doesn't suit me), as the bride wanted the guests' outfits to match (!) Rather restricitve but I know my place and didn't want to upset any applecarts.

But this September I have been invited to a wedding in the role of 'supporter of the mother of the groom' (honestly). Said mother of groom, my best friend, is nervous because she will have to meet all her ex-in-laws for the first time in years, so I am going to be there as someone to lean on. No colour restrictions this time, though, so I will probably wear my favourite colour, red!

If I were you - I'd wear whatever makes you feel comfortable, confident and proud.
  • wear what you like, if your happy and relaxed in what your wearing you'll be more happy and relaxed throughout the day and will enjoy yourself more
  • Some of the fascinators can be as spectacular as hats are, and do suit some people better.
    Good luck. :)
  • Wear what ever suits you. If you feel good you will look good. I am sure your husband will like what ever you choose and be proud of you whatever.
  • thanks rosalie - I think I will go for the fascinator (a year ago and I wouldn't have known one if it bit me!), I hope you enjoy the September wedding, your friend will certainly appreciate your support and I think your favourite colour of red will be an excellent choice as you will be easier to spot when your friend needs to find you for a reassuring word...:D

you're right shellw - but I don't want to relax too much - I want to see those punches coming! :D

Fascinator it is Carol, I'm going to find one to make me stand six feet tall - well bigger than my 5feet 2 anyway...:D
  • Just wondering if you might be able to find a fascinator with a feather (or something harder) on top that you can 'accidentally' stick up the nose of the bride's mother if she becomes a nuisance.
  • Stand up tall, walk slowly, look round with regal smiles. You'll be fine. You might even enjoy yourself!
  • Doodley, fascinators have become a regular in shops/department stores with hats. And as now is the time of year for the new season stuff to be in, you should be able to find something that looks great.
  • http://www.marksandspencer.com/gp/search?node=42966030&field-keywords=fascinator&viewID=results&intid=gnav_search&x=15&y=13#ie=UTF8&node=42966030&sort=relevancerank&keywords=fascinator&forceNoKeyword=false&size=60

Thes have headbands attached and would be an alternative
  • Definitely a fascinator - and one that looks really good!!!!
  • Debenhams website has quite a variety as well.
  • Hats just do not suit me. I wore a fascinator at my son's wedding four years ago and will do same when my daughter marries if ever.
  • Thanks all - I'm starting to feel better about this headgear thing. Jenny - your comment did make me laugh, I shall look out for a fascinator with a special inbuilt nostril invader :D. I had a look in a few stores this morning and found a possibility in TK Maxx. I wasn't sure about the colour so I'm going back later armed with my OH and wedding handbag to suss it out. I had better take smelling salts as well as the really amazing thing about these fascinators is the price -
    some were £69!!! The one I am considering is £22, still a fortune for something I'll maybe wear only once. My favourite headwear are my Minnie Mouse ears which were £4 from the Disney Store, they are complete with a red/white polka dot bow and will be worn on the Hen Night! If that doesn't get me used to something daft on my head I don't know what will :D
  • Can you find out what the bride's mother will be wearing? It probably wouldn't be tactful to look as though you're trying to outdo her.

I'm going to a wedding on Saturday. I'll be wearing a hat. My role is 'crazy cousin' so I can wear pretty much anything I like.
  • edited April 2011
    DS - Don't forget to let us know which fascinator you eventually buy - preferably one that lights up, revolves and plays "Here comes the bride"!! :D
  • Hurrah! I have eeet! the fascinator that is. Good ol' M&S, black, hat shaped thing on a band with lots of feathers and net. Very smart, makes me feel special, very comfortable and goes with my dress and the colour theme of the wedding. (FOR ROSALIE - M & S also had a striking red hat (fascinator type) with a big ivory flower and ivory/black detail, it was stunning). I've just finished making the Wedding Day card AND I've written the epithalamion. Just printed out a short story for competition entry and am two thirds through an article - deadine not till 16th so plenty of time. BOREDOM ALERT - FOOTBALL TO BE MENTIONED - Norwich City were prmoted to the Premiership last night - it hasn't sunk in yet - I've supported them since 1972. - Tinking maybe I should've put all this on the 'happy thread'...
  • Glad the headgear is sorted.
  • Thanks doodley - I'm going to look for that red hat! :)

Well done Norwich City (not a supporter of them myself but know how good it feels!)
  • [quote=doodleysquit]goes with the colour theme of the wedding[/quote]

Black?
  • [quote=doodleysquit]Is a stepmother of the bride expected to...fade into the background? [/quote]

A couple of weeks ago I was in almost the same position as you now find yourself, DS. I was stepmother of the groom who (whom?) I've raised since he was four years old. Still, I was naturally worried and very tense in the lead up to the big day, not helped by the fact that his maniacal biological mother made quite sure she was involved, boots 'n' all, in much of the organisation, which put me on the back foot right from the get go. After all, it's the bride's day and what is there for a mere stepmother to the groom have to do with anything?

Like you, I was conflicted. Do I play my usual meek role of easy going "add on" parent who slinks around the peripherals of the event by not making waves and leaving the spotlight clear for the so-called "real" parents, or do I throw my ample chest out, push my way up to the mark and make it look like I more than belong? In this country we are, thank goodness, much more relaxed about etiquette so unless it's a particularly posh affair, the general rule of thumb is that no headwear is worn, so that's one hurdle I fortunately didn't have to cross - whew! (Glad you now have your headgear sorted)

In the end, I smiled a lot, laughed a lot, stuck 'very' close to those near and dear to me whom I knew would give me some psychological support (real or imagined) and basically bluffed my way through the entire day. To cut this very long story short, I dug my heels in and no, I did not fade into the background. You go, girl!!!!!
  • ps. Sorry for the long-winded comment. Didn't realise it was going to look that long on the page when I was typing it out. (gulp)
  • Glad you didn't fade into the background IG- as if you could.:)
  • Well done IG! I'm wife of the best man in august and i am wondering how to play it. It's an outdoors wedding at a nice venue, the main boys will be hatted so i assume that it is done for their spouses to be hatted as well. Any advice?
  • Jay - yes I know. Black. Ivory, black and fushcia pink to be precise. Pink simply does not exist in my wardrobe and I wouldn't wear ivory to compete with bridal gown. So, I've got a black dress with pink, silver grey and purple floral print
    and a black fascinator to complement OH black tails (the silver grey goes with his top hat and gloves). My generation would not have dreamed of wearing black to a wedding but these young things....well.... the bridal gown has a black bodice and an enormous ivory skirt and the bride will quite possibly be wearing big black biker boots underneath. On the bright(?) side my somewhat thrifty OH pointed out the additional benefits of a black fascinator - "you'll be able to wear it for funerals!"...:D

IG - thanks for your words - good to hear from someone in the same boat, your phrase 'slinks around on the peripherals" struck a chord. Doesn't matter how long we're around (in my case nearly two decades) we're still the add-ons who don't really belong. I'm going to take your lead and stick my chest out and be proud (and who knows, I might even stuff the chicken fillets back in...;D)
  • Amanda - there are loads of lovely not-hats out there ie fascinators (or as I prefer, hat on a stick) so if you find one you like then go for it. I am a recently converted not-ever-wearing-a-hat person and have decided that it can really be the finishing touch to an outfit. Your decision though, don't feel you have to, pricey for something you may not wear again (mine was £30). Good luck and enjoy the wedding.