Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Britain has got talent 2011

2»

Comments

• That was a surprise but a nice one!
  • [quote=Red]
    It probably would DB. I have been to two BGT auditions and one X Factor so far (as well as other shows). But these lead the audience into preconceptions. How many of you think all those hundreds and hundreds of people waiting outside the venue are people waiting to audition for the judges?[/quote]

I'm assuming the audience reactions are fake too, and chosen from the pre-recorded audience reactions they film? It always seemed weird to me that an act would come on and when they started singing the crowd would cheer and clap as though in surprise at how good the act was. Thing is, the cheering and clapping sounded the same every time it happened and just not authentic. Also, Simon and his "Have you got another song?" which just happens to be so much better felt wrong, like a set up.
  • [quote=kateyanne]That was a surprise but a nice one! [/quote]

Defnitely. Nice looking guy ;)
  • I'm so glad Jai won!
  • [quote= DeneBebbo]I'm assuming the audience reactions are fake too, and chosen from the pre-recorded audience reactions they film? It always seemed weird to me that an act would come on and when they started singing the crowd would cheer and clap as though in surprise at how good the act was. Thing is, the cheering and clapping sounded the same every time it happened and just not authentic. Also, Simon and his "Have you got another song?" which just happens to be so much better felt wrong, like a set up. [/quote]

No, DB, the audience reactions are quite genuine - the audience is also genuine - but it is how the editing process manipulates them that grates. The audience is encouraged to support the act when they come on, however, if they don't perform well, they will get the obligatory boo or shouts of 'off, off!'. As these acts are already pre-selected, there are around 20 that the judges and audience see in any one session. Both the audience and the judges also take part in 'filmed' scenes. This might be a judge talking to camera, or giving a 'yes' to camera while the audience remain silent in the background, or they film the act walking on stage again. Then there are filmed audience scenes, too. Clapping scenes, cheering scenes, standing ovation scenes, boo scenes and 'off off' scenes. These are spliced into the show where they deem necessary.

The Scottish diva guy that did the nursery rhymes also auditioned a second time in Birmingham while we were there. The edited show then showed the audience rising to their feet, cheering when he finished, when in reality we did not give him a standing ovation. We simply clapped.

Whilst the audience reactions are genuine, the way they are used is not.
  • edited June 2011
    [quote=Red]The Scottish diva guy that did the nursery rhymes also auditioned a second time in Birmingham while we were there. The edited show then showed the audience rising to their feet, cheering when he finished, when in reality we did not give him a standing ovation. We simply clapped.

Whilst the audience reactions are genuine, the way they are used is not. [/quote]

That's what I meant, the way they're edited mean the audience reactions are not genuine against the act. Unless, in the example of the nursery rhymes guy he got a standing ovation the first time, or was the standing ovation just one of many canned responses they filmed?
  • [quote= DeneBebbo]in the example of the nursery rhymes guy he got a standing ovation the first time, or was the standing ovation just one of many canned responses they filmed? [/quote]

It was a standing ovation that we filmed especially for when the producers need them. I know, because I was on TV, in the audience, sitting behind the Hoff!
  • OMG Red, was that YOU?
  • Yes dora it was me...clapping like a demented seal on acid...