Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Last Night's Dream

13»

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I am not usually one to remember many of my dreams, but I have had a few weird ones over the years. Many years ago, not long after my wife and I got engaged, I dreamed that I was tied to a tree on a green outside my parents house where I was living at the time, and that every person I had ever known until that time came walking slowly down the road towards me, each with a gun in their hands. As they arrived on this large green surrounding me, every one of them went berserk and began shooting each other dead. Once the chaos of many people shooting each other was over, my OH saw that she had shot me, and so shot herself.
    The day after this dream, my OH told me that she had felt doubt about us the night before, and that she had had a very frightening and realistic dream, but she has never told me what the dream consisted of. After that, neither of us had any doubt whatsoever about each other, and never have since.
    What did the dream mean? If anything? I haven't a clue.

As a matter of interest, one of my characters in a sci fi story I have written has a horrific nightmare, and is woken by his wife. The following morning, his dream is found to have left trace evidence. Was it a dream? Or did it happen?
  • This dream isn't mine but John's mention of his engagement reminded me.

A friend told me years ago that just before she was married she dreamed her entire wedding night.
    (This was back in the days when some people still arrived at the altar as virgins.)
    She said that the actual event exactly matched her dream.
    I couldn't decide then whether that was a good thing or not - I still can't - did the prequel spoil the surprise or enhance it?
  • What does a room with multiple washbasins in it mean?

(These were not urinals)

Plus, a door in the wall of a room that is on the second floor of a house, yet when it opens out it is into a traditional space scene ie blackness and stars?
  • C2C2
    edited October 2013
    When I was young I used to dream - now and again - I was falling from a great height and woke with a shudder.
    I think I must have reached the bottom in one of them - and landed on my head.

edited bad spelling.
  • [quote=dora]What does a room with multiple washbasins in it mean?

Plus, a door in the wall of a room that is on the second floor of a house, yet when it opens out it is into a traditional space scene ie blackness and stars?[/quote]

As I suggested on FB, dora - Cleanliness is next to Godliness?

:)
  • I seem to dream a lot about rushing for buses in strange places, and getting half way between two stops when the bus comes along.
    Sometimes I get the bus but it goes to somewhere else- sometimes it's okay and I stay around, other times I just want to get away, but I can't.
  • I have lots of dreams about toilets. There's always a problem with them, though - missing doors, walls, too dirty, too high...

I also dreamt about a changing room recently, but the curtain only hung low enough to cover my head!
  • [quote=Tiny Nell]I have lots of dreams about toilets. There's always a problem with them, though - missing doors, walls, too dirty, too high...
    [/quote]

Same here. Apparently it's because we fear embarrassment.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]Apparently it's because we fear embarrassment.[/quote]

...unless we've had a shandy or few.
  • If I dreamt about a toilet, it would be too late...
  • I need a wee.

*can't be arsed to get off sofa*

It can wait.
  • [quote=Baggy Books]It can wait.[/quote]

Are you sure about that?

*Looks for mop*
  • edited October 2013
    Toilets are a recurrent dream of mine too - the oddest shapes and places, none private.
    I always believed that if I ever actually managed to pee in my dream I would wet the bed,
    but have recently discovered that is not the case.

"Mops brow instead of floor"

and while we're on the subject - can SM tell me if a urodynamic examination and a urocystoscopy are as awful as they sound?
  • [quote=Lizy]SM tell me if a urodynamic examination and a urocystoscopy are as awful as they sound?[/quote]

Every bit.

I had an endoscopy some 16 years ago, which I think I mentioned on TB quite recently. It sounds very similar to the urocystoscopy (I checked on Google) but i think is a worse experience for a male. Mine involved a telescope thingy being inserted in my Pride and Joy, for the purpose of examining my bladder, in my case searching for a hole. Having found this, a tweezer thingy was inserted alongside the telescope and the consultant spent some time attempting to acquire a tissue sample from my bladder. This took quite a while, and at one stage the nurse said,"shall I have a go?" Got there eventually.
  • Good grief. Sometimes it pays not to know in advance.
  • edited October 2013
    I've wrote this up as a radio sketch some years ago, but haven't got round to submitting it yet.

It needs tweaking, I think.
  • Seriously, you need to focus on why you're having the procedure and how important it is. The discomfort is almost irrelevant.
  • 'wincing*

Just the thought of that, sm.
  • To wee, or not to wee?

That is the question.

<Crosses legs>
  • Too late..................where is the mop?
  • This thread must have sunk until Stan2 brought it back up, and I must thank sm for his candour.

Having Googled the procedures I already knew they were not going to be pleasant, but as BB says, the hope that it will find the cause of my problems and lead to a cure will have to buoy me up. The hospital phoned yesterday with my appointments - not till April, so I have a whole five more months in which to imagine the worst. BUT if they can stop me waking up five or six times a night for a wee, I shall grin and bear it.

"puts on brave face"