Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Cliche Queries In Contemporary Fiction

2»

Comments

• Thanks, Claudia, you have been very informative.
  • Wonderful pics, Claudia.
  • I take this view when it comes to cliches (I can't remember who originally came up with it):

Most if not all cliches are phrases that came out of poems, over the years they make their way through novels and stories, and then to magazines and newspapers, and then to every day use.
    I like to think that one of the main aims of poetry is to form complete freshness of expression, to use cliches in a poem is lazy and makes the thing look cheap, I feel.
    I think prose can get away with it slightly more.
  • [quote=claudia]Here's a pic I took recently of moonlight over my bay. Go on... see how inventively you can describe it. [/quote]

As the moon drifted behind the mangrove tree, I found it hard to believe twelve months had passed since the accident. The silvery glow on the water spread across the bay towards me; just like it did on that night.
  • [quote=BuickMackane]I think prose can get away with it slightly more. [/quote]

Don't count on it. :)