Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• I've just finished a novel - the first one for ages! - Alexander McCall Smith's latest Botswana book: The Miracle at Speedy Motors.
  • Just catching up with the thread.

Dorothy I read that book a few years ago now [Church of the Dead Girls].

I'm reading American Gods - Neil Gaiman.
  • edited February 2009
    Dombey & Son, by the original storyteller himself.
    After that, I have Barbara Erskine's House of Echoes to read, started it but am already irritated with her style so how far I will get is anyone's guess.
    Then Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain is waiting, and that does look good. Picked it up in a charity shop when I needed reading material at lunch, read the first chapter and am intrigued and hooked already. But I have had the Barbara Erskine longer ... on the basis I may not be able to continue with her dangling participles and constant use of and which is infuriating, a comma would have the job better, again, where was her editor ... I don't remember this lazy writing in Lady of Hay, which was a really gripping book.
  • I am now reading 'The Eyre Affair' by Jasper Fforde - finally got round to it!
  • Still reading AFOD!
  • I've read the House of Echoes and loved it. Just read (before Christmas) Barbara Erskine's latest novel and really hated it, over written, cliched, I could go on and on. Maybe I'm just more aware now I'm a writer but I don't remember her style being so infuriating in previous books.
    The Eyre Affair, read half but couldn't really get into it, despite wanting to.
    I'm still reading Angels and Demons and though I'm not keen on some of the writing (one short sentence had three thats) I have to admit, grudgingly, that I'm enjoying the story. It's slow going because I'm also reading How to write and sell short stories by Della Galton.
  • Finished Angel and Demons (Dan Brown) and despite its faults, I've got to say its a good read. In fact, I couldn't put it down over the weekend so didn't get any writing done.
  • "Licks of Love' by the incomparable John Updike - which is a wonderful collection of short stories and a novella that ties up the Rabbit Angstrom stories - and 'If on a winter's night a traveller' by Ital Calvino. An interesting but odd book. Eighty pages in and I'm still not sure about it. Still it's only 250 pages so a bit of a quickie compared to some I've read lately.
  • Okay I'm going to take the literary level down a bit here.
    I'm reading 'Running Hot' by Jayne Ann Krentz. It's another Arcane Society book. She writes historicals as Amanda Quick, and a set of books from that has been continued to the descendants in the current day under her JAK books. Romance, the paranormal and murder combined together. A fun read. Her characters while being strong are also weak because they have big flaws sometimes, either because of who they are, damage in their past either/both emotional and/or physical, or something they're trying to hide.
  • I'm currently reading 'Heiresses' by Lulu Taylor - chick lit! =)
  • Barbara Erskine is the writer featured on the inside back page of the latest Woman's Weekly fiction special.
  • I've decided to stop reading Artemis Fowl, as it's more of holiday book, instead I'm reading The Princess Diaries.
  • I'm about to start 'Ragtime' by E L Doctorow and am also reading 'Journey to the end of night' by Celine. I've just finished 'Rabbit Remembered' by John Updike, which was a wonderful finale to the Harry Angstrom series of books.
  • cover your eyes, Probie, i'm reading Blood Noir by Laurell K Hamilton at the moment and it's quite impressive that she's managed to fit a sex scene (sympathy sex) into the first chapter. I think i've finally figured out why she's so obsessed with sex...i think she must be seeing a sex therapist and that maybe she and her husband are having problems in the bedroom which made her go crazy and fill her books with nothing but sex scenes.
  • Thanks for that.

Word of advice, DON'T TELL ME TO NOT LOOK AT SOMETHING AND EXPECT ME NOT TO READ IT! ;)
  • Okay then, read this, Probie. I warned you. :P
  • I have just finished reading Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier and it lives up to all the hype on the cover. An intensely in depth, beautifully - make that incredibly - written book with a deep underlying message of the futility and the sheer horror of war and the most amazing ending. Why anyone decided to film something so special, so delicate, I don't know. I loved it and have immediately launched into Thirteen Moons, his second book.
  • I've got two books on the go at the moment.

Starter for Ten by David Nicholls (bought from the RSPCA shop). It's about a first year university student who is about to appear on University Challenge. Funny and touching at the same time.

Boswell's biography of Samuel Johnson (bought secondhand years ago and not yet read). There's a long introduction and I've only just got to Boswell's bit!
  • I've just finished Atonement by Ian McEwen. I think I liked it. I couldn't put the book down for the first part, but then I thought it sort of dragged...got good near the end again though. I wanna see the movie now!
  • Just finished The LA Diaries by James Brown. I bought it in error for my son, thinking it was by the 'Godfather of Soul.' Then in a roundabout way saw a reference to it so asked for it back. A very entertaining, if dark read, about a dysfunctional family growing up in and around LA, including the suicide of the author's actor brother and then his sister.
  • Just finished 'Hunt for Atlantis' by Andy McDermott. Enjoyed it...love a decent adventure story and the continued references to Indiana Jones just made me grin :D

Also, half way through 'The Dark Tower Part II - The Drawing of the Three'.

And will be starting 'The Tomb of Hercules' sequel to Atlanis by Andy McDermott tonight.
  • Reading The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon (not sure of spelling on that) currently but struggling to enjoy it, Kushiel's Dart (again) and Raiders of Gor. I can't read just one book, I have a selection depending on my mood.
  • Reading Gor books, HX? aren't they a tad stodgy? I tried to read Dancer of Gor and gave up. John Norman was a 'right place right time' author, now he wouldn't get into print, would he, not with that subject matter ...
  • I've finished Princess Diares, Now I'm reading Princess Diaries: Take Two. These books are addictive!
  • I have now finished 'Heiresses' by Lulu Taylor - which I thought was a very good book - not quite your typical chick lit.

I am about to start reading 'Gods Behaving Badly' by Marie Phillips
  • Finished Princess Diaries 2: Take Two

Now on Princess Diaries three: Third Time Lucky.
  • I have just finished The Evil Seed - Joanne Harris's debut novel. It was very dark and at times horrible. I found it hard going, very different from Chocolat and Blackberry Wine.
  • Reading The Reapers by John Connolly, good stuff but I found two major mistakes which is disappointing with someone who is usually very, very good. I had to go back and re read to sort out who he was talking about, got the names mixed up.
  • Re-reading a story of mine with the working title of Pillion. It's unfinished, and I'm hoping it might turn into a book. A few problems, though. I'm not sure when it's set; one of the main characters seems to have undergone a personality change; things may be happening too soon; and I've no real idea what the story is (about), what happens next. But, apart from that, it's not too bad. Anyone fancy reading it? It's 4,700 words so far - which is long for one of my short stories - and it has some sex in it. And I'll probably ignore your suggestions.
  • edited March 2009
    No? Oh, well.
  • Jay, if you can send it to me tonight, early rather than later, I'd love to take a look at it and won't mind if you ignore all of my suggestions. I'm having a relaxing, easy going day today but will need to get down to some serious writing tomorrow, so have a little time tonight.
  • Thanks, Susie. Much appreciated. If anyone else has any ideas about my story/novel, please let me know.

- I'm not sure when it's set; one of the main characters seems to have undergone a personality change; things may be happening too soon; and I've no real idea what the story is (about), what happens next.
  • [quote=RichardS]I'm about to start 'Ragtime' by E L Doctorow [/quote]

Have you read it now, Richard? What did you think? I read it years ago, also Loon Lake, and World's Fair is languishing on a bookshelf; must read it sometime soon!

[quote=Chippy]I am now reading 'The Eyre Affair' by Jasper Fforde [/quote] - what did you think, Chippy? I thought it was great fun.

I just finished travel biography, Congo Journey by Redmond O'Hanlon - hard work in parts, but I like his slightly offbeat style.
    Now reading Lucky by Alice Seebold (Lovely Bones author) - it opens with her rape scene; chilling indeed!
  • Jay - I can't promise anything - but I'd be interested to see your work. My e-mail is on my account page.
  • Thanks. Will forward it. Do you want me to add any notes I've made first? Perhaps I should just add the important ones. Oh, and it's about 5,000 words.
  • Add the notes if you think I need them, Jay.
    Look forward to reading it.
  • Read Princess Diaries 3: Third Time Lucky

Starting and going to be reading Princess Diaries 4: Mia Goes Fourth
  • [quote=claudia]what did you think, Chippy? I thought it was great fun.[/quote]

I thought 'the Eyre Affair' was mad! in a good way though =)
  • I started reading 'The Master' by Colm Toibin today. It's about a period of Henry James' life when he was living in London, Paris, Ireland etc. So far my main impression of it is that it's written in the most exquisite language. Very interesting too.

I'm about a third of the way through 'Journey to the end of the night' by the French writer Celine. From what I gather, he was mad, bad and dangerous to know and he certainly gives that impression with this novel. There's some brilliantly passionate writing in it.
  • edited March 2009
    The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Toibin is excellent - have you read it Richard? His writing is wonderful - there's something about the Irish and their ability to turn a phrase...

Did you like the Doctorow?
  • I'm halfway through a Bernard Cornwell about the Danes invading Britain, fighting and marauding against the various tribes such as the Mercians etc.
  • Hi Claudia

I've not reading anything else by Toibin though I can see that changing quite quickly based on reading 'The Master'. Ragtime, by E L Doctorow, was wonderful. Quite original in it's way and brilliantly written. Another writer I'll be returning to.
  • Betsie,
    how are you getting on with Bernard Cornwell? He nearly drove me scatty in the Archery type trilogy, all archery and no story or background and in the Arthurian trilogy, everyone spitting all the time, like several times per page and everyone, including Arthur himself at times, was so unlikeable!
    Be interested to know what you think. Battle scenes are sometimes well done only he will use destriers all the time and few people could afford them. I did point this out to him and got a vague 'I know what I'm talking about' response, so I gave up and added him to the list of historical writers Henry rants about without naming names.
  • Know just what you mean Dorothy - I find myself skip-reading some of the stuff to get to the plot. Lots of spitting and vomiting and spears through bodies. I'm more interested in the historical facts i.e. the ancient tribes of Britain, than the rape and pillage bits. My son got me into this one - he thinks they're wonderful and has read the lot - apparently there's a whole series of them.
  • edited March 2009
    Finished 'Lucky' by Alice Seebold - a remarkable autobiography which made me cry.

Now halfway through a book of short stories by Bridget O'Connor. Some of the stories are excellent, but in some of them she's being too clever in her quest for originality and the strain shows up painfully.

Richard - if you liked Ragtime, try Loon Lake...
  • I am now reading 'Shopaholic Abroad' by Sophie Kinsella
  • Well I whizzed through 'Shopaholic Abroad' - it is not a very long book - quite entertaining

so now for a change of genre - I am now about to start reading 'The Resurrectionist' by James Bradley
  • Reading Bag of Bones by Stephen King at the mo. Loving it! Also just dipped into Jeffrey Archer's Prison Diary vol. 1. which my OH is reading. Interesting but I'm not sure at the moment. It's certainly informative though