Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• I'm currently reading nothing. Instead I'm writing, better than anything I spose.
  • It's good that you're writing, well done.
  • I've just finished a reading spell, and am on a writing stint now. Just seems to work that way for me.
  • finished with thrillers for a bit, gone back to the Delderfield trilogy, book 2 of God Is An Englishman. Immediately lost myself in the complex characters and storylines in this superb storyteller's books.
  • I have been reading Chocolate by J Harris and feel I have to read it again to understand it but don't have the time. I need to start writing again. Has anyone else read it?
  • Read it when it first came out, Maya, and loved it.:)
    What didn't you understand?
  • Didn't understand any of it. Not a clue what was going on? I did skip few lines here and there; then got lost. One day I will revisit it. With Dan Brown I can skip chapters and still get the story. Bad girl...
  • It really is worth reading fully when you feel inclined Maya. :)
  • I felt like that about 'Everything is illuminated ' by Jonathan Safran Foer - just couldn't get it. However am now reading 'Extrememly Loud and Incredibly Close' by the same author and am loving it.
  • I am currently reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman
  • I really have to read some of his stuff, I've heard so much about it. What would you recommend?
  • I felt Safran Foer was a little difficult to get into as well, but after about 50 pages I really warmed to his style.

I loved 'American Gods', Chippy. An excellent book by an excellent writer. Gaiman is a real storyteller.
  • i've only read Stardust which was also well written... i like the movie and book...
  • I did love that movie.
  • I've been meaning to read Gaiman's stuff for ages...I really should...although, I read his twitter, does that count? <_<
  • Just started The Other Queen by Phillippa Gregory.
  • Neil Gaiman, Neverwhere, I think that's the title. Brilliant.
  • Maya: there's a very good film of "Chocolat", maybe you should start by watching the film and then revisit the book afterwards, it might make a bit more sense!

On the Joanne Harris front, I'm currently reading "Gentlemen and Players", and am absolutely addicted! It now joins "The Crow Road" on the list of Books I Really Wish I'd Written...
  • If you like Gaiman try reading his 'Fragile things' an anthology of short stories. They really are very good. I don't normally read short stories, but i'm glad i did.

I am currently reading The End of Mr Y, by Scarlett Thomas. I'm not too sure about it though.
  • I quite liked 'The Graveyard Book' by Gaiman - that's the only other book of his I have read.

I've always wondered where he comes up with his ideas - maybe that is why I don't write fantasy...
  • My son Dom read the short stories one and The Graveyard Book, he really enjoyed them.
    I must get him to give me the latest Skullduggary Pleasant book.
  • Thanks everyone. One of my friends at creative writing has Gaiman's 'Fragile things' so I'm going to borrow that next week.
  • I've read quite a bit in the last few days. I finished ' The Divine Comedy' which was sublime. It needs more than one read though. It's like trying to appreciate the roof of the Sistine Chapel from a picture in a book. It deserves close reading to fully understand all the references in it. I also read two books called "How not to write a novel", both of which were good in different ways. And then this morning I finished "Outliers - The story of success" by Malcolm Gladwell, which I found to be very thoughtful and a book that I'll keep coming back to from time to time.

New books just started - "Dying Inside" by Robert Silverberg and "The man in the high castle" by Philip K. Dick. Some nice deep sci-fi just to keep my thinking fresh.
  • i'm trying to read Master And Commander again... I am determined to read it... just like I was with Far Side of the World... although I do need another fantasy book so I can continue to write decent stuff for my book...
  • Recovering from White Tiger, I'm tucking into a book of short stories by Ray Bradbury
  • I'm reading 'The Time Traveler's Wife' now, it's interesting reading.
  • Red: Night Watch was superb! Highly recommend it.
  • Cool I will invest in a copy. Cheers Emma!
  • No problem. :-)
  • I have started reading CHERUB: The General. And I mean like a page.
  • love the cherub books probie. i read the recruit when it first came out and couldn't put it down.
  • edited May 2009
    Has anyone read any of Malcolm Pryce's Aberystwyth novels (described as "Welsh noir")? I'm part way through Don't Cry For Me Aberystwyth and it's ... odd.

PS Why does " and ) produce ") - and what is the significance of the " marks at the side of the smiley? Is it a wiggly ear?!!
  • I know, FMN. Good series.
  • I am now reading 'Shopaholic and Baby' by Sophie Kinsella
  • Going back up a bit, I can recommend another Neil Gaiman short story anthology, 'Smoke and Mirrors'. Some of it is slightly alarming but very memorable! I have just finished, 'The Testament of Gideon Mack' which I quite enjoyed. I started reading, 'The End of Mr Y' like Amanda, but couldn't get though it because I loathed the female protagonist!
  • Play Dead by Richard Montanaria, startling serial killer stuff, very well done. My only complaint so far, he used straightjacket instead of straitjacket, why? Is that an American way of describing it?
  • Thanks Ginger, I'll keep that one in mind too.
  • "Gods Behaving Badly", Chippy, going back to Feb? I think the title made that book. I remember reading somewhere that a debut author's agent said they seized on a book in the slush pile because of its title: "The Boy Who Fell Down Exit 43", and the author has never looked back.

I'm reading my first Dean Koontz, nearly finished it: "Demon Seed". Not bad considering it was written a long time ago and since updated to bring the computer business up to date.

I haven't read a Stephen King yet (apart from "On Writing"). Can someone recommend one to me please?
  • Yes, Mutley, I agree that Hardy was good, although I only have Tess to go on. I must move to Neil Gaiman next I think.

Jenny: " followed too quickly by ) gives a pleasantly puzzled face, altho normally it comes from ; foll by ) ;)
  • dorothy, Neverwhere is one of my favourites. Neil Gaiman.
  • I'm reading 'The Best Australian Stories 2008' for my short story class, as well for pleasure.
  • Dwight: Try 'Bag of Bones'. I read On Writing and had never read a King before and Bag of Bones was recommended to me. Amazing book. The main character has writer's block on an extreme level and everything gets very strange. I could not put it down.

Been listening to 'Wicked' on audio book. Really enjoying it at the moment. Love how the writer moved through time with different characters and settings.
  • Pick any Stephen King from the shelf ... the newest collection of short stories, Just After Sunset, is brilliant. So is - now can I remember the title, Deva Key, something like that, set in the Florida Keys, very atmospheric and lots of twists.

Richard Montanaria has thrown me completely, he was doing so well and then he writes
    Byrne's heart flew.
    I mean ...
  • edited May 2009
    Try and go with it, Dorothy.

Thanks, I'll go for either Deva Key or Bag of Bones. Meanwhile the only Neil Gaiman I could find in the school library today was Coraline, which one of the Mum's was telling me is coming out as a 3D film next week!

I had a bad experience with Dean Koontz. I knew the book was 250 pages long and got to page 200-ish, to find it stuttering to a sort of halt. Ah, there's going to be a twist, I thought. I turned over to find a postscript from DK to say how he had updated the book what with the advances in cyberworld. Turned over again and found a publisher's note inviting me to now read the first 40 pages of DK's next book!!!

If there had been a door anywhere near I would have kicked the book through it. After quite a good story, the ending was flat and too easy.
  • Coraline came out on Friday Dwight. We went to see it in 3d and it was amazing! Very scary for a kids film though. Tell me how the book is, I really want to read it now.
  • It's called Duma Key :-D

Coraline looks amazing.
  • that's it! Thanks, Emma, knew I was writing it wrong but memory was blank. Remember the story vividly ...
    Dean Koontz has done some good work but some duff work as well. Some are disappointing. It's a shame he isn't consistent.
  • I have just started reading 'Remember Me?' by Sophie Kinsella - it reminds me of the TV programme 'Samantha Who?' - which I love and want to know when they will release it on DVD in Britain
  • Finished 'The Man in the High Castle' by Philip K Dick today. It was pretty good but not quite as good as I expected it to be. I've now started 'Brooklyn', the latest from Colm Toibin.
  • Coraline, the book, is not too scary, Forget-me-not; it's written for children and I don't think you'll die of fright. But once these movie directors get their hands on something they have a way of jolting sensitive imaginations. I can imagine how it would scare. I'm halfway through.

Duma Key, yes that's the one. We have a shelf full - sorry, 2-3 shelves full - of Stephen King at our local library so I should get it all right.