Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

What are you reading now?

Comments

• Dwight - Try The Shining, Dolores Claiborne or Misery. Collection of short stories Everything's Eventual is pretty good too. Don't read The Tommyknockers or Rose Madder -bad, bad books!
  • Bag of Bones!!!!
  • I got Duma Key. 600-and-odd pages: it'll take me weeks.
  • The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith
  • Duma Key, I read it in about 3 days, Dwight. Once I got started I could not leave it.
    This Richard Montanaria book ... full of holes where we are expected to suspend belief. The detective walks in on a crime scene, picks up a (dusted for fingerprints) photo cube and hey presto, something rattles inside, although padded to prevent anyone finding it ... turns out to be a pen drive... now really ... All that needed was for his editor to say 'any chance of making that slightly less obvious for the discerning reader?' and with a couple of sentences it could have been done. Instead we are left with that highly improbable scenario. Disappointing in the extreme.
  • Am now reading 'Very Valentine' by Adriana Trigiani

I can get through Sophie Kinsella novels really quickly [a couple of days!] which is how this is the 3rd book I've started in about a week!
  • I'm now two chapters in CHERUB: The General, and it had me hooked. (And in stitches)

Definatly a must if you have read the last eleven, but if you've never heard of it, start with CHERUB: The Recruit first of all.

Not entirely sure what it's about yet, but boy is it good.
  • At the moment I am reading The Shack by Paul Young. It's described as a kind of modern Pilgrim's Progress. Will let you know if I agree when I've finished it. (I'll have to read Pilgrim's Progress aswell though!)
  • I'm reading non fiction at the moment, just to be different.
  • I used to know an Adriana once, Chippy. on summer school in Grenoble. She looked like Sophia Loren and was smouldering, but had nothing like the sex appeal of her friend, Gigliola (who looked like Claudia Cardinale). That was a Summer, that was. 1971 :)
  • I've just finished 'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin. What a wonderful novel. Colm proves that you don't need pace, action and constant hustle and bustle to produce a great read. This was a simple tale, beautifully written. Magnificent and truly moving.

Next stop, Mrs Dalloway, one that's been on my tbr pile for ages.
  • Picked up quite a heap of books from charity shops and the library when we were in England a couple of weeks ago. I've got two Colm Toibin's: The Heather Blazing and The Master to look forward to.
  • Dwight, when is the summer of 1971 going to feature in one of your novels... sounds good...
  • Just started 'The Other Queen' by Philippa Gregory (about Mary Queen of Scots)
  • Betsie, is it any good? 3 books down the line I am doing my own book on Mary Q of S, but completely and totally different from Ms Gregory (who still hasn't answered my email on why she dislikes HM so much...)
  • Probably never will. :)
  • guess not. I am up in arms over a few letters/people lately and am being told, emphatically by my guys, leave it, let the books tell the truth.
  • Currently the fiction is on hold (namely Anna Burns STILL) and I'm reading 'So you wanna be a writer'. Anyone read this? It is good for ideas but I find her difficult to relate to. I do not drink wine while writing.
  • Finally finished the Maximum ride series and onto Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman. Thanks everyone for suggesting Gaiman books for me.
  • Still reading LOTR and Dark Tower books. Also, just started 'The Secret of Excalibur' by Andy McDermott.
  • My books are all ready to be packed so I can't read much at the moment.
  • I have just begun reading 'Atonement' by Ian McEwan - I have had this book for ages and ages and have only just got round to reading it!
  • Just finished Matt Hilton's "Dead Men's Dust" - a fast-paced thriller/chiller that will undoubtedly become a film.
  • after watching Phantom Of The Opera last night and seeing that its actually based on a book (i really can't believe i didn't know this before!) but no i want to read the book...
    anyone read it before?
  • Yes, I've read it and can recommend it Jemma. (You can often pick up classics like this in discount books stores - think I paid 99p for my copy!)
  • thanks. i will look in the charity shops, etc...
  • Dipping in and out of 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves' by Lynne Truss before I start something more substantial.
  • Who Moved My Cheese - interesting non-fiction book about how we react to change.

Written for use in the workplace, it's also relevant to any change.
  • Just finished Dead Men's Dust and moving on to American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
  • Quarter way through Mark Billingham's In the Dark. Couple of chapters in to Sol Stein's Solutions for Writers, ordered this after reading Solutions for Novelists. Half way through USA by Rail, just for the fun of it.
  • You're right, Dorothy; I am still a dyed-in-the-blood romantic and my reminiscences of Summer 1971 should yield something worthwhile. I quite fancy writing romance, but have zilch experience. As luck would have it, I kept a daily journal while at university. Yes, I am the male student who did that, folks. Once every five years or so I remind myself of the wonderful girls I knew back then. This is not to say my OH doesn't knock them all into a cocked hat, but for story germs it could come in useful.

Meanwhile my recent reading is limited to tons of non-fiction bits and bobs in the way of serious research. And Duma Key at the rate of 20 pages a day (= another 28 days).
  • read some of Walking Ollie by Stephen Foster but found it hard to enjoy someone else's experiences with a dog. I gave up but won't tell the person who loaned it to me, as the dog he has is the dog she has, she enjoyed it because she could empathise with it. I found it tedious.
    So, back to RF Delderfield and the third part of the God Is An Englishman trilogy. I'm part way through Mark Billingham's Death Message, I take it when I go to lunch, the Delderfield book is too big to carry about
    Just bought a book on Leonardo Da Vinci.
  • Gladys Reunited by Sandi Toksvig (paperback from the RSPCA shop - complete with a plastic bookmark containing advice allegedly from Mother Teresa).

The book is very entertaining. The advice is rather dubious and includes ...

"People really need help but may attack you if you help them.
    HELP PEOPLE ANYWAY."

"Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    GIVE THE WORLD THE BEST YOU'VE GOT ANYWAY."

:rolleyes:
  • [quote=Jenny]"Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
    GIVE THE WORLD THE BEST YOU'VE GOT ANYWAY."[/quote]

And face the future with dentures?
  • Just about finished 'Mrs Dalloway' (Stirling - if you want to read a good example of multiple POV's and how to switch, this one's a cracker). Halfway through 'Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi' by Geoff Dyer. Both very enjoyable in their own ways and very well written.
  • I'm readint THe Runaway by Martina Cole. It's not bad, if you excuse it being 200 pages too long and breaking several key rules of writing!
  • i've finally finished Master And Commander... really good read.
  • i'm now reading 'Gone Tomorrow' by Lee Child - Reacher on his latest adventures!!! =)
  • I'm now just over halfway through 'Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi' by Geoff Dyer, which is wonderfully descriptive of both locations, superbly written. I'm also reading Borges' 'Collected Fictions' which brings together all his short stories, essays, parables, etc and is quite simply magnificent. It's the first time I've read any of his work and I can see how his influence has affected many other writers that I've read in the past.
  • I read a whole load of CHERUB: The General yesterday and I must say it's getting very good.
  • I've finished Borges though I'll be returning soon, no doubt. His writing is some of the best I've ever read and I'll be dipping in for quite a while to get my fix.

To replace it, I've started reading China Mieville's new novel, 'The City and the City'. I've not read any of his before so I'm looking forward to this.
  • ordered a Kate Atkinson after the discussion on her thread but it hasn't arrived yet. I am reading Lonely Road by Nevil Shute, and again finding it strange, the cigarettes all the time, sharing, lighting, smoking, it's a lost world.
  • I'm rereading Noughts and Crosses (Malorie Blackman) and I love it
  • That's one series to go with about 50 others I want to read.
  • edited June 2009
    Night Train to Lisbon

So far pretty good.
  • Ooh, just catching up. Red - I wholeheartedly recommend Sarah Waters' Fingersmith.

Dwight - Stephen King's The Dark Half is a goodie.

Jenny - I'm just finishing Sandi Toksvig's Gladys Reunited too. You can really hear her distinctive voice as she narrates it. Very funny, but tender too. I swapped it with a book at our holiday apartments in Crete.

I've read Katie Fforde's Wedding Season and just loved it. I occasionally have to dispense with the horror and thrillers for a bit of pure, predictable chick lit. Just to give me a sugar rush.

Also finished Stephen King's On Writing. Excellent.

Gave up on Barbara Erskine's Daughter's Of Fire, I'm afraid. It was taking too long to go anywhere.
  • Mutley - how does Martina Cole break the rules? I'm curious!
  • I am hoping to read The Angel's Game sequel to the shadow of the wind by carols ruiz zafon very, very soon.

Is anyone reading it?
  • edited June 2009
    Nope. But I read more of The General last night. GAAAAAH You lot have changed me for the worst! I keep seeing adverbs where I wouldn't have before.
  • Robin1, the audiobook has just been put up on Audible and I might download it as my next read/listen. I like Shadow of the Wind and if it's as good as that then he'll be onto a winner.