Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

Purgatory

edited October 2007 in - Writing Problems

Comments

• I am trying to write a story on the underlying theme of purgatory, about a man who's dead but does not know it yet.  He is in purgatory with the other spirits who were involved in the car accident, which killed him and them. 

My concept of purgatory in this story is like parallel worlds, in that they are in the same space but they are not all aware of each other's presence. That is except that of my main character, who can see them and tries to interact with them with limited success.

So the dialogue is kind of weird in the way it happens, because the main character is talking to the other characters (2 others), but they are not talking to him.  Still there will still be a weird cohesion about the conversations, I think.

But I need help on this, because my brain is strugglin wih the concept and I am worried that I am making the story way too complicated.
    What do you lot think?

Nothing like keeping a story simple, eh?
  • An interesting idea, Robin. I enjoyed your story, Arthur's Place. Your unusual approach kept me reading. The story was also well written.
  • Thank you, Stan, for those nice words.  It's funny, because although I was over the moon and dead chuffed that my stuff was in the mag (and the interview in the members news), if not my ugly mug, I re-read it as my harshest critic, because I did not like it.  I wasn't convinced that it was well written.  Am I being too harsh on myself?  Or is it better to be like this?

Also do you think I have overcomplicated the issues in my purgatory idea?  I am worried that I have.
  • I don't think you have, I am not an expert of course but I think purgatory can be just about anything.  As long as the story still flows and the characters can understand their own state then it should translate well to the reader. 
  • Also the idea of purgatory was a bit different and if you read my blurb in the members news I try and think outside the box.  But I am worried tat it may be a little too outlandish.
  • Robin, Enjoyed Albert's Place.  Different to say the least. Well done.  Purgatory as I undersatnd it is a place where you go before entering heaven. It's a place where you redeem your sins in life as no imperfect soul can enter heaven. Its where you go if you are not baptized (babies)It has religious significance and not entirely sure it fits your story. A practicing Catholic person may well be the best person to ask. Limbo?? Is this similar??
  • Perhaps it would work better if there is limited interaction with one of the other characters and just as he is reaching some understanding or whatever, that connection is broken, frustrating him, then another character is there and the process begins again.
    You will know what is going to work for you, if you think about it.
    Personally I would give up if I was just going to be reading him trying to talk to the others who can't respond- how will that help carry the story along?
  • According to Roman Catholic theology, limbo is the place for unbaptised babies. As Marc says, according to RC theology, purgatory is the waiting room to heaven where your sins are purged. There's no mention of purgatory or limbo in the Bible. Robin - the idea sounds good though it could get too complicated. All the best with the story - keep us informed how it progresses.
  • Hi Marc, limbo sounds about right.  As for novel length, I'm not sure, do have an idea for a novel which I am roominating on.  But it is an intersting idea, maybe one I need to sleep on and def. do some research on.
  • FOOTNOTE: I liked your mug shot!
  • Plus thank you all for you kind words and your advice!
  • Should I post the bit I have written?  I am worried that someone could use what I post, which would be ess than ideal.  What do you think?
  • The choice is yours, Robin, but I think we can trust Talkbackers not to pinch your idea. However, others may read who don't join our discussions or sign on.
  • I think Tracey is right, plus I think I am getting a bit carried away, must be the online drugs being peddled on the looking glass thread.  I will continue to talk about my ideas and others ideas, becuase there is no harm in that.
  • Well then, three cheers for Robin! He's a jolly good writer too - echoes of Gilbert and S.
  • Gilbert and S?  Sorry if I appear thick, but you have lost me?
  • The sailors on the HMS Pinafore sing a song in which they give three big cheers for their ship and three big cheers for their jolly captain too. I'm a fan of the comic opera of Gilbert and Sullivan. 
  • Well, I am honoured to be in such esteemed company.  And that you should rate me thus.  Even if in jest.
  • Jest in time!
  • Or you could say precisely.
  • All this silliness spread over a few threads isn't helping your story. I was intending to have an early night and I'm still here.
  • Don't worry, I'm enjoying the chatter and the banter.
  • And watching the TV at the same time?
  • And you thought only women could multitask? I say that and despite all of this I still cn't get into my purgatory story. Not such a good multitasker then.
  • AH! Well, good night, I must go. Yawn!!!
  • Well, gd night.  Sleep tight.  Don't let Barry the Bedbug bite.  Oops, sorry wrong thread!!
  • Night Stan.
  • Barry's a bat - Billy's the bedbug.
  • Purgatorio is a place in Portugal. Cue Belinda Carlisle ...
  • I know it's from Lord of the Rings but what about 'Middle Earth' or something similar??
  • describe a place that depicts purgatory then give it a name of your own.
  • not getting into a purgatory discussion, Robin, that is beyond my belief system but don't use Middle Earth whatever you do. That will kill the story completely.  Too many of us love LOTR!
  • And Hell is in Norway. Heaven, on the other hand, is a disco. Showing my age here. I should have said a club.
  • Good morning all!
  • Hello, Stan.
  • what are you doing with your day off, Stan?
  • I was so tired that I did not get up until 9am which is late for me. We went to a garden centre in Royston, Herts, for dinner. Within the garden centre is a craft shop which Maureen wanted to visit. Since coming home I've read and replied to some emails. Now I'm on Talkback. So there you have it - at least up until 15.55.
  • Any progress robin with the purgatory story?
  • Obviously, he's too busy to reply.
  • Hi Stan, sorry mate, been at work and had to make some phonecalls when I returned.

In all honesty I have not got any further with the purgatory story.  I have divided loyalties, because I have an idea for a novel (my first, so it is a bit scary) and so I have conflicting loyalties.

I don't want to lose sight of the short stories, because I have comps I want to enter.  A problem, but a nice problem to have.
  • Oh my god I have just read my last message and I sound so egotistical.  I think it is an idea for a novel, it my end up being nothing. Just an idea at the moment, but is consuming me more than my short stories. 
  • Could you get your big head through the door? Only joking!!!! Keep writing mate. I'm struggling with a cold at the moment.
  • Join the club Robin, so many of us get these odd insights for novels, and we forget that others get these bizarre moments too.
    Don't worry we know exactly what you mean.
  • Is that an excuse Stan, another variation on ooh, the housework needs doing more than your writing.  And it's not so much getting my head through the door in the first place, but getting iot out afterward that's the real problem.  Hehe.
  • No, I really am struggling with a cold.
  • Eucalyptus oil is very good for a cold- inhale the steam.
  • Thanks for the tip!
  • Feeling better Stan?
  • Not completely, but I've preached twice today without too much hindrance. It's not the streaming nose sort. More of a dry throat and the need to spit up every so often!