Welcome to Writers Talkback. If you are a new user, your account will have to be approved manually to prevent spam. Please bear with us in the meantime

The art of writing a short story.

What is it?
Because I think I’m missing a vital ingredient.
I can write and I have the time in which to do it but I can’t come up with enough story ideas and the most frustrating part of being a writer has to be staring at a blank screen, fingers poised over the keyboard with…nothing to write about.

I had a thought that I could use proverbs and sort of up date them for modern life but that hasn't been successful yet and then, last night, my husband mentioned that the only reason half of the sit coms on TV work, is because someone tells a lie. I've been pondering over this all day but still haven't come up with a single story.

A story needs more than an idea - it needs a motive - a reason for its existence - a twist in the tale but also a compelling story line to carry it through and I've completely lost the plot!!

I once tried to construct a story around an ending I had in my head but although I still think this particular punch line has mileage my story was rejected as being too weak. Before that I would have said that if you've got the ending you've cracked it. Now I know that's not so.

I used to enjoy doing W/N & WM comps because they give you a subject and a few hints to start but even then I would miss some out simply because I couldn't think of anything to write about.

Who are these people whose heads are full of ideas? Would you care to e-mail me a few? :)

Oh, and incidentally, I hate the word story – it just doesn’t have the same weight as novel, does it?

Anyone else out there desperately seeking inspiration?

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Join the club IK - I have battled with the short story on many occasions - I have disks full of stories that stink to high heaven. I am not sure that there is a magic formula to find ideas, or a special gene that makes one person creative and someone else not. BUT I do think that the worst thing I did was to worry about it and write myself off. I started thinking more positively and writing down sentences, proverbs, phrases or just odd words that grabbed me and then sat down and let the story go from there. Half the time it is still a stinking pile of wotsit but sometimes there is something in there that has legs.

If you have an ending that you think has mileage go back to the beginning, flip it on its head and see what happens. I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination and I am sorry if I am coming across that way, I just know what worked for me - it might just work for you too.

That is not to say that I don't lack inspiration sometimes - I have spent my share of hours staring at a blank screen. it is disheartening but don't let it stop you.
  • Isabella, I have lots of flash fiction pieces that might work as short stories - and lots of short stories that might work as novels (if they were longer, obviously). Let me know if you'd like to see some.

You could try the dictionary for inspiration. Just choose a number, look at that page, and see if a word springs out at you.

On BeWrite, we used to do a One Word Challenge (original suggestion by Sally Quilford). A word was set, and we had to write a poem or very short story using that word as inspiration. The winner would choose the following week's word, and be the judge (this did not always work well, as not everyone - I include myself - felt able to judge e.g. poetry).
  • Why don't we start something like that here Jay? Sounds fun.
  • edited January 2008
    When I was chair of a writers group we had a tin with many words inside. We would pick three words out of the tin and all three words would have to be used in the short story. There was a word limit of 1500 words and no theme was set. It used to work for us. It was surprising how different all the stories were. Give it a go it might work. The setting up takes a while but it is worth it. Fill the tin first then give it a shake and get your husband or friend to pick out three random words. I nfortunately have the complete opposite problem. My children's book ideas just keep on coming. I have to write them all down and put them aside until I can get to them. I'm hoping this will mean I never run out of ideas....I can but hope.
  • That's a good idea I will try Jay. I have lost heart a bit this year even though I've written dozens of short stories. I've studied the women's weekly market thoroughly and bought hundreds of copies of the magazines and read them cover to cover (!) for which I must qualify for some kind of award alone! But seriously, I feel I know the market really well and have written very strictly within their guidelines but have had only one short story accepted. I've fallen into despair at times, but know that dedication is part of the process. I have not really lacked ideas but feel my ideas are obviously not quite hitting the target. Either that or my writing is not strong enough. I suppose the main thing is to keep going.
  • edited January 2008
    OK, folks ...

Please say if you're for or against a One Word Challenge on Talkback.

Remember - if you win, you'll probably have to suggest the new word AND be the judge. Also, items posted on Talkback may be deemed 'published' and so not be eligible for competitions. Unless some kind person would like to volunteer to be the permanent judge ...

Do you want poetry and stories?

What length (on BeWrite, it used to be 40 lines of poetry; and 200 words for a story)?

Should the judge/other Talkbackers comment on entries (beware - you might unwittingly cause offence)?

How 'central' should the suggested word be? (Although the word may have inspired me, my stories did not always centre on it. Some people raised objections!)

How often should this challenge be done - once a week/fortnight/month?

Er ... just in case I've over-emphasised the pitfalls, the One Word Challenge did produce a lot of very good writing and constructive criticism. It certainly inspired me to write things I wouldn't otherwise have written.
  • I think a monthly challenge would be best. I don't think a permanent judge would be the best thing, writing being a purely subjective thing. What I would say is that all participants MUST agree that they will not get offended by any constructive criticism, we must try not to take it personally or it could get really nasty.
  • Jay, I like your basic idea of writing a short story on a single word. Perhaps it should be kept informal for now. Maybe you (or someone else) can suggest a word just to see if there is any interest...not sure if I'll be inspired to join in though :(

I was inspired to add an updated discription of myself to my profile though...I thought it was quite good :)
  • I will have a bash if Jay wants to suggest the first word in a new thread - can't guarantee it won't be a stinking pile of......... but I am game. (that is until I actually think about it then I will probabaly run away screaming)
  • edited January 2008
    Lixxy, I loved your discription from further up this thread - "Half the time it is still a stinking pile of wotsit but sometimes there is something in there that has legs" - given that you've mentioned you write horror, it conjured up a pretty offensive beast to me!
  • edited January 2008
    I would be happy to join in and I'm very difficult to offend.
  • OK. Unless anyone has any objections, I'll start a new thread once I've thought of a suitable word (I've got a streaming cold now, but that shouldn't cause much of a delay). I'll also judge the entries unless my depression is too bad. THE JUDGE'S DECISION IS FINAL. Hint: I'm not much cop at poetry. Oh, and I'll try to summarise all the rules - not that many, really.
  • Well we all need something to get the words flowing at time. Basic rules are needed. Hyphenated words- are they 1 or 2 words- our club class them as one word.
    IK have you ever sat somewhere and looked around at what is going on? Nearby, across the road? One evening I was going home from a meeting, sat on the bus, waiting for it to pull out from the terminus stop, when there was shouting from the upper deck.
    Words were shouted, including "he's had you!" And an angry young man rushed downstairs and off the bus- very dramatic. This then set of a lot of questions in my mind possibly real, others imaginery. That allows the writer to use the idea either with young or old characters, and any scenario that could fit those circumstances.
  • Ik - when I have a topic - (a word or theme) I write it in the middle of the page and then do lines from it to all the possibilities I can think of associated with it. As an example the wheelchair picture in WM or WN (can't remember which) - you might have lines to illness, accident, age, disguise, prank. THen off each of those lines I start new lines of the possibilities that flow from them. For illness that might be the typse of causes, whether it is lifelong, whether there is possible recovery etc. For disguise you might have reasons why they would use a wheelchair - to get into a hospital, to have people ignore them, to make people assume they couldn't do something etc. You end up with a whole page of ideas - then you can go through them and see which take you anywhere and which are too far fetched. Occasionally the far fetched ones have legs and something spins out of them but otherwise you still end up with a whole range of believeable possibilities. The technique is (I think) called mind mapping and is immensely useful to explore a wide range of ideas.
  • edited January 2008
    I sent WN an article on brainstorming ideas, if I knew for sure they didn't want it, I would post it here ... but one thing I used to do was go for a walk in the dark. People leave their curtains open, you can catch a glimpse of another family's life, often triggering all sorts of thoughts. Shop windows look different at night, they too inspire thoughts. Somewhere I have 75 story ideas, I need to find them and when I do, I will let you know. Then you can email me and I will send them to you ...

OK, found them, but they are not on disc, I need to copy them from one edition of my book. If anyone wants 75 story ideas, write me offline, I will send them to you as soon as I type them up. Is that OK? Free by the way, totally absolutely 100% free!
  • Dorothy that is lovely of you. I will let others take you up on them. I end up with more ideas than time to write as it is. Sadly I'm not nice enough to give them away!
  • Dorothy - I can't remember where I read it, but the word 'brainstorming' is sometimes avoided because of its associations with epilepsy.

OK - I'm going to post a couple of items about the One Word Challenge. If I can stop sniffing long enough.
  • I've heard that too but to me that seems to be PC gone mad. THe brain operates by electric charges so what are ideas but a whole series of electric charges. It isn't acceptable for people to come along and hijack perfectly good words and say 'you can't use it anymore, it's ours'.
  • edited January 2008
    Bugger PC, we all know what brainstorming means - I've even picked my step daughter's face out of her porridge during an epiletic episode :)

Dorothy, That's a very generous offer. I'll be contacting you at the earliest posible opportunity.

Carol, I sat looking out of my window this afternoon, as lights were going on in the distance and as it became darker and the lights became more of a warm orange glow my mind began to wander...which leads me on to Dorothy's suggestion and I have to admit to already being a bit of a peeping tom.

Mutley - how simple - how effective.

Keep talking guys...and bless you, Jay.

This is all wonderful grist to the mill

Dorothy, how do I contact you?
  • use the member's profile bit, find the * and click on it. You will get the ability to email me direct. I typed one story idea last night ... give me time, I will get there! I hoped they were on disc, but unless they are at work, I can't find them at the moment.
    I didn't use the word brainstorming in the article, I don't think so anyway, I think it was ten ways to get ideas.
    When I wrote the 75 ideas for the back of my book on writing erotic literature, I actually said they were off the top of my head and I still had plenty more ... now of course all ideas are handed to me by people who want their stories told. It makes life so much simpler.
  • Dorothy, please don't rush on my account. I know you've got a lot on your plate at the moment and now I'm beginning to feel guilty.

Couldn't find the * in this new format but my e mail address is in my profile. I don't want you to feel obliged to do this though.
  • IK, I will despatch it to you shortly. No need to feel guilty, heavens, it's a small enough thing to do for a fellow TBer!
    Meantime, if anyone else is interested, they can contact me on [email protected].
    this is a supplementary email address, you won't be invading any privacy by writing to that one.
    The story ideas are typed, ready to go!
  • Dorothy, I'll email you and would be grateful if you'd send me the list, too. I'm sure it'll cheer me up, as all the work my husband did a couple of days ago replacing my very old computer with his old one has been in vain and he has to reinstall the original one - the other one keeps crashing and losing info!
  • of course, anyone who is interested can have the file. Just send me an email. Sorry to hear about the computer, they are such difficult things at the best of times and a crash and losing information is far from that.
  • Dorothy, you're a treasure :)
  • as in ... locked in a box or chest and buried on some desert island, the actual place being marked by an X and a skull and the map being in the possession of a disreputable pirate by the name of
  • Don't despair Isabella. Ideas are all around you, but maybe spotting them is just a habit we get into. I know everyone says it, but notebooks can become such useful resources when you are struggling to find a story. Jot down interesting snippets of conversation you overheard, anywhere different you've been to and the sights/sounds/smells etc. Local newspapers often have quirky little pieces. At our writers' group we sometimes do instant writing, i.e pick a word and write madly for 10 minutes about whatever that word inspires in you. It probably won't be award winning literature but it might produce some little gem you can use at some point. When I go through my notebooks I usually find that one of these brief notes I've made will jump out at me, and then there'll be another tiny seed of an idea on another page and I see a way to link these 2 things together into a story.

Character is a big part of any story as that's where you'll find the motive. Some people recommend doing detailed character studies before starting on the writing, but I don't go that far myself. What I tend to do is divide a sheet of paper into 2 or 3 depending on how many chacters are involved, then I put down things about them, looking especially for ways in which they are similar or ways that they differ. Also as Mutley says it can be really helpful to draw diagrams and once you start just the process of doing that makes you think of more possibilities for things that could happen within that story. Sometimes all I have in my head is a place that I think would make a good setting and then I brainstorm whatever I can think of about it, eg who might you find there, why would they be there, what's the history of this place.

Persistence is definitely key. After I sold my 1st story it was another year before I sold the next. There were lots of rejections (still are!) but you just have to keep going. Having a critique of 3 of my stories was a big, big help. And don't feel that you have to apologise for writing stories, not novels. A novel is only a long story after all.
  • Lonely Hearts and Problem Pages can be a good source of inspiration. For instance, in two different Sunday magazines there are letters about gay-related subjects. I'll cut them out - they may give me some ideas for new stories.
  • Not entirely sure if I have told you this story before, but here goes anyway ... story ideas. Once upon a long time ago I used to make my own bread. I was busy with a loaf one day, knowing we were going on a coach trip to Cheddar Gorge the next day and wanted to make the picnic. As I kneaded the bread I thought, what if this was a special loaf, then when would a special loaf be needed. I wrote that story all day in my head on the coach, I could not tell you anything about Cheddar Gorge (except I found out I am claustrophobic in caves) because of the story spinning in my head. I wrote it the next day (sold it twie!).
    A Little Piece of Home is the story of a grandmother making a special loaf. Her grandson is coming to collect it. The story traces her memories as she thinks of him as a little boy playing with a toy rocket, becoming an astronaut, finally telling her that he and the beautiful girl he chose as his wife are to be frozen and sent out into deep space. They were allowed one thing from home, so she was baking him a special loaf, seasoned with her tears. When they woke from their sleep, they would be able to share a little piece of home.
    Oh yuk, sticky sentimentality and all that, but it worked, or it would not have sold to two different SF magazines.
    So, you can turn the most mundane of household things into a story if you think of it differently. Worth a try.
    I like Jay's idea of the One Word Challenge for that reason, helps us to look at things differently, especially that one word.
  • I like that, Dorothy. I actually have the bare bones of a story rattling around in my head that was inspired by something similar.

I've still got the first story I ever submitted to a magazine. it never sold - and due to the fact that it involved a money tree (probably why it didn't sell) that produced pound notes - is now obsolete but I still hang on to it.
  • "A special loaf would be needed." Like it, DD.
  • I like the idea When ar you gong to start it?
  • Robin, can you clarify your last comment? I'm a bit confused.
  • I think I will make it my New Year's Resolution to do as Lily suggested and carry a notebook. That is probably the simplest yet possibly most productive piece of advice and one I constantly regret not taking up.
  • Sorry Jay when are you going to start the short story comp on talkback?
  • It's already started, Robin! See the following threads/discussions:

One Word Challenge January 2008

(that's for your entries) and

One Word Challenge - rules and queries

This month's word is 'time'.
  • Sorry, blame the cold for my stupidity
  • A notebook is an essential- any size, just keep one with you.
  • Don't worry, Robin - I've got a cold and can hardly think straight, either!
  • A long time ago someone gave me some advice for getting ideas for stories. Although they were children's stories I don't see why the method wouldn't work with other genres. You make three lists. One is a list of characters, with names and characteristics. The second is a list of misfortunes or obstacles that need to be overcome. The third is a list of items or objects which must be used somewhere in the story. You randomly pick something from each list and compose a story around them. That method did used to get me writing and one idea was published. These days I usually find ideas come from something someone says, something I see. The rest come from I just don't know where.
  • Songs can be good inspiration - they aften have a story behind them.

And pictures too.
  • edited January 2008
    Methinks there've been a couple of threads on this already. I'm off to look ...

LATER ...

I searched using "inspir" (inspiration/inspiring), but the threads/discussions were quite short.
  • edited January 2008
    I've only just seen this thread and, Isabella, when I read your post I wondered if I'd sleep walked one night and sat down and wrote it myself! I don't have any trouble writing once an idea for a good yarn implants itself in my head, but how I do agree with you that it's getting those ideas to start with. I find it very difficult these days because I have two jobs which take up an awful lot of my time. One of those jobs is in a supermarket and my twenty hours spent there every weekend seems to kill off any imaginative ideas I might have had. A friend of mine who is quite a well-known actor and lives locally suggested to me that I must have countless ideas for stories because of the different personalities which pass through my checkout on my shift. Sometimes I hear some fab off-the-cuff remarks which I know could be the basis of a great short story (or even just be worked in) but just how do I stop everything at the checkout whilst I write it down on a piece of 'till roll?!!! Such is the pace on a busy weekend, I barely get the time to pee!

By the time my weekend shift is over, I'm tired and drained and have certainly forgotten all the best snippets!

Having said that, I too have pulled up a list of proverbs and two ideas have presented themselves to me. I just hope they are sustainable!
  • don't forget, if you want 75 story triggers, email me at [email protected] and I will send them to you free gratis and without charge. Just so you know.
  • Good luck, Lou - hope you find some time for yourself and the stories soon.

Dorothy, e-mailing you right now.
  • IK - that was my reason for joining TB - no imagination whatsoever! I write technical stuff and I am not encouraged to 'imagine' anything. All my stories are about as flat as the paper they are printed on - so you are not alone!
  • edited January 2008
    Today I went searching for a file full of newspaper clippings that must be well over six years old. I had collected them because I thought they might trigger a story one day...I know where they are and I'm just off to get them and see if they have matured well - back in a mo.

Came across an interesting piece about a fella who killed himself by swallowing aluminium phosphide. When his body reached the hospital it started giving off lethal fumes. I don't think I'll be using this one but if anyone's writing a murder mystery it might come in handy - the man who killed after he was dead!!
  • Well your plot could involve someone being sent to the plavce where the body is, entering the house and being killed by the fumes. Who was the real intended victim? Was it the first body, or the second?
  • edited January 2008
    Can I bring this to the top for the moment, please, to tell at least one TBer that I will send the 75 story ideas the moment I get my Google back up and running ... the address is in the [email protected] folder and I can't access anything until I get this sorted!

I got it away, thanks to a break in the system which actually gave me my emails!
  • I have just had the nicest rejection letter from People's Friend and thought it might be worth mentioning the reason my story was rejected:

The story contained, as part of the plot, an ongoing reference to The Chippendales - no mention of stripping or body parts - just the fact that my main characters met at their show.

So, for future reference - People's Friend don't do Chippendales - and, I assume, anything else in the same vein.